Thread: Need advice with wideband

Potential Tuner

Need advice with wideband

Sorry in advance im sure this info i somewhere just hard to find a straight answer. But I have a 1999 silverado with a P01 pcm. How can i connect a wideband to hptuners so i can get logs to correct VE. I have the MPVI2 non pro. My existing wideband has an analog option so do i need the pro feature or is there another way. I have seen videos with people using the egr circuit but for another pcm. Any info would be great im new to tuning and starting to feel like i purchased wrong setup.

There are a bunch of videos on how to do this.

Here is one I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru_2M2uGSKs
    55 Belair swapped 2000 LQ4, 4L80E, 873 cast iron heads have been swapped for 853's, truck manifolds, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, glass pack mufflers, no cats.

Tuner
    Here is another video that i found helpful for me. 0411ecm aka P01, using the EGR pinouts.

https://youtu.be/NDyiq3A5MIc
    1992 Ford Mustang - LR4 4.8 - BWS475 - LJMS Cam - E85
    1981 Chevy C10 SWB 4.8/60e - air ride *currently building*

Tuner
    If you do use Lowbuck LS's method and have any questions you can PM me and ill help with what i can. He covers it all pretty well in the video
    1992 Ford Mustang - LR4 4.8 - BWS475 - LJMS Cam - E85
    1981 Chevy C10 SWB 4.8/60e - air ride *currently building*

I use a serial converter plugged into a USB port for the WB. Under channel selector, External inputs, serial ports then pick for your WB.

Tuner in Training
    You can use the egr port like stated previously. 0411 is pin 55... I know 97/98 corvettes are pin 8 or 9 i wanna say.

I have the math for a aem ugeo 4.2lsu
    1997 Corvette
    Ls1 motor,5.3L ported heads,(polished exhaust, golf balled intake), BTR.660 dual springs,Stock valve size, .051" head gasket. BTR stage 4 N/A ls cam, 10.9:1 compression, Blackwing intake,Ported throttle body, LS6 intake manifold, Ford Green top injectors 42#, 0411 swapped, AEM UEGO, Nitrous oulet plate kit running 200 shot 110+ dedicacted fuel, LPE timing retard box, BR7EF plugs, EGR delete/air pump delete.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianLS1 View Post
    You can use the egr port like stated previously. 0411 is pin 55... I know 97/98 corvettes are pin 8 or 9 i wanna say.

I have the math for a aem ugeo 4.2lsu
    You can. I actually think mine is still hooked up that way but I don't log it anymore. I had it set up reading AFR and have since converted myself to use Lambda and just started plugging into a USB port since thats how I do on customers cars.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamE View Post
    Here is another video that i found helpful for me. 0411ecm aka P01, using the EGR pinouts.

https://youtu.be/NDyiq3A5MIc
    Will these methods still work with the mvpi2? i dont see why not right?

Yes!
    55 Belair swapped 2000 LQ4, 4L80E, 873 cast iron heads have been swapped for 853's, truck manifolds, 2 1/2 inch exhaust, glass pack mufflers, no cats.

Potential Tuner
    Nice i cant wait to try it. i do have another question though. Now from my understanding my wideband just needs a 5 volt reference from EGR, AC, whatever it may be, but that sigial is going to the wideband, then to ???? How would the PCM pick that up? Or is that pretty much what the math is for to tell the PCM that essentially the signal is now an AFR. or part of an math equation for AFR rather.

Not quite. The wideband gauge reads the AFR from the sensor in the exhaust pipe and from this reading puts out a proportional 0-5V signal. This signal is then wired to either the EGR or AC pin of the PCM. The reason for using these particular pins is that the PCM is looking for a signal that is in the 0-5V range from theses particular sensor. The user defined math then takes the voltage it is reading from whichever pin you tell it to read and then converts it to AFR which it displays on the HP Tuners Scanner. User math then calculates your % AFR error which you can use to tweak the tables.

At least that's the way I understand it.

Potential Tuner
    Ok that makes more sense. So wideband is giving the signal not receiving it. Pretty simple thanks

Potential Tuner
    Any update to this? After finding the "EGR Enable" in the Navigator, it only shows .02 and .04. Im running an 02 silverado P01. I checked my wideband analog and it is working fine. I have it in Pin 55 and ground into Pin 41. I followed

Potential Tuner
    So whats showing .02 and .04? your wideband reading? I did not use pin 41 at all or a ground. i followed along with randys video from lowbuck ls (link is in above post). Brown wire off EGR valve connector or pin 55 to my wideband white analog wire and thats it as far as physical work. The rest was setting up the user math and the chart to log commanded, actual and AFR error. Anybody know a way to use this and log on a graph instead of the chart vs time?

Quote Originally Posted by kevbow106 View Post
    So whats showing .02 and .04? your wideband reading? I did not use pin 41 at all or a ground. i followed along with randys video from lowbuck ls (link is in above post). Brown wire off EGR valve connector or pin 55 to my wideband white analog wire and thats it as far as physical work. The rest was setting up the user math and the chart to log commanded, actual and AFR error. Anybody know a way to use this and log on a graph instead of the chart vs time?
    Did you miss the video in post 2?

That video shows you how you can create graphs when using the EGR or AC circuits.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I did miss it I didn't watch the whole thing had a hard time hearing it. ill use earplugs and check it out thanks.