Thread: Hptuner's MPVI Pro is a terrible product

Hptuner's MPVI Pro is a terrible product

Since purchasing my MPVI Pro unit, I have had nothing but issues from this controller. For example, today I was attempting to disable the VATS on a 2005 Canyon and it would not allow me to write the tune. After numerous attempts and receiving the same error message (boot downloader request time out) I eventually had to tell the customer to revisit another day. This is not the only issue ive had with this controller. I also believe that hptuners has a terrible support line. There is no number for me to call and it takes days before I hear a response from the support team and this results in me losing business. This product has done nothing but cost me valuable time and money. if anyone has any insight on what I can do to fix the issue mentioned above, or is also unhappy with hptuners, please feel free to comment on this thread.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    bootload request errors are typically caused by wiring/battery related issues. I also found that on the older Canyon/colorado applications the stock head unit created chatter issues on the bus, pulling the fuse 36 usually fixed the issue(I believe thats the radio head unit fuse off the top of my head). I would start with that. This doesn't sound like anything related to our hardware/software and more related to this 15 year old vehicles wiring.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Your product should work with 15 year old vehicles, like the product description says it does. you shouldn't have to pull a fuse to get the controller to write the tune. I understand that not everything is perfect but I found a thread on here from 2008 that had the same issues as im having and you gave him a similar response 11 years ago instead of resolving and fixing this issue with your software. Also as much money as hptuners has made over the years seems like hptuners would invested that money into researching these "chatter issues" and other software issues for their customers, instead of developing a wireless version of the MPVI Pro. Poor management and customer service has become the face of hptuners to me. It's also embarrassing that Hptuners will not accept responsibility for its product, and instead puts the blame on this truck that has nothing wrong with it.
    Last edited by Jalon Sparks; 11-09-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalon Sparks View Post
    ... Your product should work with 15 year old vehicles, like the product description says it does. you shouldn't have to pull a fuse to get the controller to write the tune ...
    Purchasing tuning software does not instantly make you a tuner - time, effort, and experience may eventually help build your tuning skill set.

Clearly you have never used GM programming software (TIS / SPS) in conjunction with a Tech 2 or MDI to program modules. If you had, you would know that GM's own instructions include directions on what fuse (or fuses) to remove to "quiet" some modules on the communications network.

This is often necessary as many GM vehicles used a mix of communication protocols on the overall network. Some modules could have used Serial Data, others could have used Can Bus (which could also be subdivided into early or late style). Often the BCM or PIM was the "gateway" or switching station for different communications languages.

Programming a Hot Rod that only uses a PCM, or an ECM / TCM combination, is easy to do successfully. Programming an OEM vehicle with multiple modules on the communication line is often a challenge.

Examples of fuses that are sometimes removed (to quiet modules) include - HVAC, Radio, Navigation (NAV Radio), OnStar, and Lift Gate.

I use multiple tuning software programs (including HP Tuners) on a daily basis, and GM software for initial module programming - and have had very few issues over a 15 to 20 year period.

Learning is preferable to complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Purchasing tuning software does not instantly make you a tuner - time, effort, and experience may eventually help build your tuning skill set.

Clearly you have never used GM programming software (TIS / SPS) in conjunction with a Tech 2 or MDI to program modules. If you had, you would know that GM's own instructions include directions on what fuse (or fuses) to remove to "quiet" some modules on the communications network.

This is often necessary as many GM vehicles used a mix of communication protocols on the overall network. Some modules could have used Serial Data, others could have used Can Bus (which could also be subdivided into early or late style). Often the BCM or PIM was the "gateway" or switching station for different communications languages.

Programming a Hot Rod that only uses a PCM, or an ECM / TCM combination, is easy to do successfully. Programming an OEM vehicle with multiple modules on the communication line is often a challenge.

Examples of fuses that are sometimes removed (to quiet modules) include - HVAC, Radio, Navigation (NAV Radio), OnStar, and Lift Gate.

I use multiple tuning software programs (including HP Tuners) on a daily basis, and GM software for initial module programming - and have had very few issues over a 15 to 20 year period.

Learning is preferable to complaining.
    Just because you can reply to a thread, doesn't make you a "advanced tuner" either. I haven't used any other tuning software and I don't have but a few years of experience but that doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing or talking about. I have taken both the beginners and advanced class offered by the Tuning School and tuned many vehicles. I just believe that improvements can be made to this software and customer service.
    Last edited by Jalon Sparks; 11-09-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalon Sparks View Post
    Just because you can reply to a thread, doesn't make you a "advanced tuner" either. I haven't used any other tuning software and I don't have but a few years of experience but that doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm doing or talking about. I have taken both the beginners and advanced class offered by the Tuning School and tuned many vehicles. I just believe that improvements can be made to this software and customer service.
    If GM requires fuses to be removed for programming, how is HP Tuners supposed to overcome this ?

GM chose to merge different communications networks (old and new) to avoid upgrading the entire vehicle communications platform when new technology became available. There is nothing that HP Tuners, or any tuning software company, can do about this limitation.

Unlike yourself, I have owned a business in the automotive aftermarket for 30+ years, and have offered LS conversions and custom tuning for the past 15+ years.

Once you have tuned 1000+ vehicles, perhaps your perspective will change.