Thread: Idle tuning, small changes big results

Advanced Tuner

Idle tuning, small changes big results

First going to say I have not actually done a complete idle tune. This was merely testing parameters and trying to get a stable idle to keep from fouling plugs. I don't believe my cam and 19 degrees of overlap agreed with closed loop tuning so I switched to an open loop tune. I'm also here for a sanity check.

I was trying to get my IAC counts down and work out some issues. My IAC were in the 180s in Drive and 130s in Park. My desired airflow in park was in the 11g/s range. Drive was all over the place. Plugs were a little dark.

I decided to pull 5% from the MAF (MAF tune at the moment) but that was to much so I went with 2.5%. I changed injection timing for the colder areas but I left the running temps where I had them before. Pulled 25% from the Proportional and Integral HIGH tables (seemed to help ALOT with overshoot). Changed the low derivative.

I also changed the DWELL settings to the truck ones. Im running 585 coils and I did not like how the plugs were looking. Non of them looked to be firing the same and I wanted to see if I might be having auto fire issue with mostly stock ls1 dwell setting (could have worked).

So I loaded the tune got the car all warmed up and It idles almost stock. Barely sounds like a big cam. The IAC counts dropped dramatically and the idle stabilized and is only really +/- 50rpm which is great!

The desired airflow for Park is now about 4.5g/s and Drive about 7.5g/s. I gained some Vac as well. Just kind of need a sanity check.

Does this sound right at all for a semi large cam? Is this a fluke? The changes I made were just a combination of things I have learned and some input. Also just looking for more input.

Thanks guys. Major mods are in my Signature and two logs and a tune included
    TUNE4_MAF_FIC_OL_EOITatPPV_Extended_test_EarlierPEhpt_MAF Reduce_DWELL2.hpt
    19-11-25 15-41-38.hpl
    19-11-25 15-44-20.hpl
    Last edited by anniversaryss; 11-27-2019 at 01:44 PM.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi