Thread: issue caused me to need pcm update

Potential Tuner

issue caused me to need pcm update

so I might know the answer to my own question but figured I would ask anway. I have an 05 Silverado 2500
    hd and I copied the tune over that my cousin has in his 2000 2500. basically my truck threw a check engine light with a few different codes and a battery light. it was also shifting funky and way down on power. I brought it to the dealership and they said the pcm needed an update. any info would be helpful

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What is your question?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    What is your question?
    Would it be the tune that caused the issue?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    absolutely, poor tuning or coping over tunes from one vehicle to another can cause issues such as a check engine light. Usually flashing back to your stock tune will fix any issues that arise though.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    absolutely, poor tuning or coping over tunes from one vehicle to another can cause issues such as a check engine light. Usually flashing back to your stock tune will fix any issues that arise though.
    I tried but didn?t nothing worked until i brought it to a gm dealership and had them flash it

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by campia90 View Post
    I tried but didn?t nothing worked until i brought it to a gm dealership and had them flash it
    you probably flashed in the ETC differences which could corrupt the ecm, I'm surprised a dealer could even fix the ecm.

Flashing in a file from an 01 P01 ecm into a 05 P59 pcm is sure to cause issues, even if you are just copying over tables. We'd recommend against ever doing that again.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bill@hptuners View Post
    hard to give any further advice without the dtc's, etc.
    p0480 p0481 p0740 p0785

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by campia90 View Post
    p0480 p0481 p0740 p0785

Flashing in a file from an 01 P01 ecm into a 05 P59 pcm is sure to cause issues, even if you are just copying over tables. We'd recommend against ever doing that again.

Yeah, you shot yourself in the foot by flashing in different year/different computer files.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Well on that not, im looking for a new tune

For what it's worth, you can still use parts of the 2001 tune in the 2005 computer. You just can't go and do what you did prior.

The calibration layout between the two files is almost the same. There are just some differences between them for certain tables and for the drive by wire system in the 2005 truck. So if you know what you are doing and know what can be brought over, that is still something that can be done.

The idea of HP Tuners is to learn how to do most of this yourself, learning how the engine computer operates and makes it's decisions based on what is in the calibration settings. Just flashing in different tunes with lots of unknowns about whether they are safe or not or can even work with your application is not the ideal way to use this.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner High ho silverado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    For what it's worth, you can still use parts of the 2001 tune in the 2005 computer. You just can't go and do what you did prior.

The calibration layout between the two files is almost the same. There are just some differences between them for certain tables and for the drive by wire system in the 2005 truck. So if you know what you are doing and know what can be brought over, that is still something that can be done.

The idea of HP Tuners is to learn how to do most of this yourself, learning how the engine computer operates and makes it's decisions based on what is in the calibration settings. Just flashing in different tunes with lots of unknowns about whether they are safe or not or can even work with your application is not the ideal way to use this.
    i agree with campia90! no two setups are the same, have to make it your own.
    Last edited by High ho silverado; 11-19-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    Dan G

83 Silverado, lq4, 4l60e, highway queen
    79 malibu, 5.3 slow twin turbo build
    00 camaro z28
    13 gmc seirra, all stock dd