Thread: VE Tuning.. at a loss.

Tuner in Training

VE Tuning.. at a loss.

Im new to all of this and learning as I go. Yall have been tons of help working through issues. Now that I have an ( I'd say decent running tune) I'm trying to tune VE, but I can't get it to idle at all when I follow ChopperDoc's instructions. I"m sure I'm overlooking something but I can't figure out what. Can someone take a look and let me know what I need to do, ballpark to get this thing to run well enough to tune VE? It runs for like a minute and shut down.

On my "decent running" tune. Its pretty much an 05 Caddy Escalade base tune with some minors here and there. I'm rich at warm-up, rich at the touch of the throttle and then goes to 8 AFR at 70ish % Throttle which is why I was trying to follow the things I've read here about tuning VE first. And while its running, CL STFT are -20 ish. The running log is large and I don't know if useful or not but I figured maybe yall would see something in there to point me in the right direction.

Attachment 94655
    Attachment 94656
    Attachment 94657
    Attachment 94658

This is a 2005 LQ9 stock with CompCams and springs ... 202/212 .500 116 LS

Are you running a wideband o2 sensor?

The VE tuning file is way messed up with the VE table. You are better off starting with the stock VE and working it from there.

Haven't had any issues with the DBW trucks when setting the MAF dtc's to MIL on first error, set the MAF fail high to 0hz and disabling the fuel trims and closed loop.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok I will try that again, I put it back to orginal and things were really rich then lean then it would shut down. I had hoped to get some miles on it today.
    I am, Im running an AEM and logging it as EGR. that seems to be working well !
    1984 Chevy K10
    6.0 Comp Cams 202/212
    4L80E
    3.73 Auburn gears
    Once we get this think ironed out.. its going to be a daily and tow a 5th wheel to make memories!

Daily - 2005 Yukon Deanli

Not much else is going to change the fueling in the tune on it's own.

If fuel pressure is too high that can make it run rich.

Also because you aren't actually running the EGR you still have to zero out the spark correction table for the EGR as that can make the timing do weird things.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I just went through the fuel pressure side of things... side story was I had "help" and the guy that helped me put the engine in use one of his computers that had 26 lb/hr injectors. I had 36. I fought and fought it. Then I bricked it and used my original computer, but I tried to use the tune I had been playing with. My computer had 36 lb/hr injectors however it was so far out from me messing with it trying to get a 36 lb injector to run on a 26 lb tune.. If it hadn't been for this forum I'd still be struggling with that. I've at least matched (put in new injectors Friday) 26lb with 26 in the tune.

On the fuel pressure side of things. Its holding 57-58 at idle and when I pull the vac line, it jumps to 64ish. the problem I AM having is the leak down test. It does leak down quickly. Say 20 lb in 5 min. I have the pressure sending unit ordered and will install that on the AC pressure switch so I can log it too.
    1984 Chevy K10
    6.0 Comp Cams 202/212
    4L80E
    3.73 Auburn gears
    Once we get this think ironed out.. its going to be a daily and tow a 5th wheel to make memories!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_ View Post
    I just went through the fuel pressure side of things... side story was I had "help" and the guy that helped me put the engine in use one of his computers that had 26 lb/hr injectors. I had 36. I fought and fought it. Then I bricked it and used my original computer, but I tried to use the tune I had been playing with. My computer had 36 lb/hr injectors however it was so far out from me messing with it trying to get a 36 lb injector to run on a 26 lb tune.. If it hadn't been for this forum I'd still be struggling with that. I've at least matched (put in new injectors Friday) 26lb with 26 in the tune.

On the fuel pressure side of things. Its holding 57-58 at idle and when I pull the vac line, it jumps to 64ish. the problem I AM having is the leak down test. It does leak down quickly. Say 20 lb in 5 min. I have the pressure sending unit ordered and will install that on the AC pressure switch so I can log it too.
    Oh man.. I'm a total ding dong... of course I'm going to blame it on being new (learning curve). I had my VE table disabled too. Airflow > Dynamic > High RPM disable was set to 4. No MAF not VE.. why wouldn't it RUN? lol
    1984 Chevy K10
    6.0 Comp Cams 202/212
    4L80E
    3.73 Auburn gears