Thread: Exhaust tuning

Tuner in Training

Exhaust tuning

Looking to tune an exhaust for best torque on an 84K10 long bed. LS 6.0 LQ9 202/212. 4L80 and 3.73 Currently, its stock exhaust manifolds, no cats, 3? true duals with Flow Master 2 chambers.

My thought was to go back with 1 5/8 shortys to a single 3 chamber flow master and single 3? tail pipe. My questions is.. is there a formula to calculate size, flow at RPM Length? That way I can figure out what it best, single tail pipe, duals, mufflers before I put something on that hurts me more than helps. I?m really trying to get my low mid range torque numbers as high as I can, since I want to tow a 5th wheel with it.

I?m a ways out from making it all work together, BUT I?d like to be thinking about it.

**** I should note free. Maxrace software is out there but i think this is going to be a 1 time use for me.
    Last edited by Brandon_; 11-18-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Tuner
    long tubes and a free flowing muffler. i like magnaflow. an x pipe will always make more power.

Senior Tuner
    This one is easy. The long tube headers are the only way to go to build torque...
    With that combo, run dual 2.5" pipes to an X-pipe, and use a Magnaflow or Dynomax straight through design muffler.

I agree on the long tubes, x pipe, and free flowing mufflers. I recently ditched my true duals with flowmaster 40s for an x pipe and summit's stainless magnaflow knockoff. Lq9 with ported heads and 224/228 .585 cam in an 85 k5 and its pulled good before I can tell the difference. Those flowmaster chambered mufflers sound good but performed like crap.