Thread: pops under boost/critique this tune please

Tuner in Training

pops under boost/critique this tune please

Hello...first time post...long story short i am very new to this and new to HP tuners, so the low blows from the senior tuners are welcomed . I had my 04 Silverado with a 6.0l at the local tuner and now my call attempts are cut short. the tune is 90% constructed by him. The truck will pop under boost and per my fuel trims i obviously need to add fuel. i recently had to swap injectors to some decapped l59 injectors (25326903), which per a guy in Kentucky now flow 79 lb/hr at 4 bar. reading through the stickies, random search bar posts, im finding conflicting information. i followed the instructions on injectors swaps. obviously my trims reveal that it needs more fuel. i don't quite get how to exactly add fuel. highlighting the entire VE table and adding 15% seems too simple and that's not exactly accurate across the board, and this "blending" everyone speaks of I don't quite understand I do have a wideband installed and it goes WAYY rich when the popping begins.....way rich being 8-9:1....but, this truck is tuned for e85. TR6 plugs, i can pull 5 plugs easily (1,3,5,7,and 8 simply because the turbo manifold is a pain in the rear) and they don't look fouled, wet, pieces missing, ect. and they are gapped to .025. im confused and not sure what to try next. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. thank you. build includes: gen 3 lq4 .010 over, rings gapped for boost, forged bottom end (comp. at 9.8ish to 1) 200582 jegs cam .585 .585 lift, 228/230, 112deg. on 3 7875 turbo (7psi) and on 3 turbo manifold, DBW with stock t-body and stock intake, 4l80e w/ stock converter, 317 heads,try to tune puss.hptlog 3 poppin in the AM.hpltry to tune puss.hptlog 3 poppin in the AM.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    So this tuner handed the truck over to you running this way? Lots of PIDs missing in your logs, but fueling definitely needs work.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

You must install an air intake temp sensor before you do any more tuning. It's a waste of time to do anything if it thinks the air coming into the engine is -38 degrees.

The MAF isn't failed right either, you need to set the MAF fail high in the engine diag tab to 0hz and the 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. The SES boxes can be unchecked.

As said the fueling needs a lot of work. It's really lean at part throttle with the trims showing +20% and it's staying in closed loop while you are in boost sometimes, which is bad. You should raise the PE kpa enable under power enrichment to 90kpa instead of 25kpa. Lower the hot/cold pedal enable all the way down to like 40-45% so it will go into PE when it's needed. Then if you say it's really rich in boost, fuel would need to be taken out where it's needed.

Remove the 1 bar MAP channel from the logs and replace it with the 2 bar MAP channel so you can watch the MAP kpa over 105kpa (aka boost). Add your throttle position channel to your logs too.

Getting your wideband into your logs is key. This is how you will make an error graph that shows the difference between the commanded AFR and the actual AFR. That error percent can be applied to the VE table to correct the fueling in open loop.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Wow, thank you for that, your the one I was hoping to respond to this. much appreciated. Sometimes a little jumpstart in the right direction is all that's needed.

Tuner in Training
    Decapped 903s flow 84 to 88 lb/hr

Tuner in Training

this is what i went by

eric derr decapped 903 flow sheet.jpg this was my source for the injector info. the set currently installed is the bottom set. Does HP tuners want dynamic or static values???
    Last edited by kylefentz; 11-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Tuner in Training
    https://youtu.be/VJ7kEbPp5J8

Video showing decap mods to HPTuners. It says to use Static.

Tuner in Training
    Dang, thanks man

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    it wants static.
    the software assumes a linear spray rate based on the max static flow rate to determine the 100% pulse flow and the and minimum pulse width settings.
    the short pulse width takes up the non-linear offset to correct those flow regions that flow less than the linear assumption before triggering the minimum pulse width fixed pulse rate.

dynamic flow testing only proves that the set is verified to flow within a certain deviation of each other along the linear flow assumption line. Basically, if the dynamic flow is similar then the better the oem ecu can predict targets based on a single injectors data settings. When the dynamic range gets out of hand then thats when aftermarket ecu's come into play as the nice ones offer multiple injector flow profiles so that dynamic bs can be accounted for. Usually cylinder trim feature works better by using an egt probe set. getting out off the deeper end of the topic now so ill stop.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 11-22-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman