Thread: P01, LS swap, won't rev over 2K, OS 9381344

P01, LS swap, won't rev over 2K, OS 9381344

Long story short I got asked to tune an LS swap going into an older Impala/Camaro/something, I can't keep straight what this one is going into honestly.

The engine and PCM are out of a 2000 Firebird firebird auto

The car it's going into is a manual

The issue I'm having is it won't go over 2K RPM's. I feel like it's something in the transmission settings but could be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas? Logs/tune attached. Timing and injector PW's don't drop off in the logs but it's literally exactly 2000 RPM's where it cuts out, so I assume it's cutting the injectors or something.

The tune is probably crap at this point, I was changing everything I could think of to try to get it over 2K. I'll finish tuning it correctly once I get this issue taken care of.

The PID's are limited on these than I'm used to on gen 4 and 5 stuff.. on those you can log what's triggering this but I couldn't find any PID's like that on this one.

Any help would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'm going to spend the $100 and license a different file to dump on this PCM from another P01 with the same setup that didn't give me this issue.

The only thing I've really thought about changing since I was out there last was the torque reduction tables under transmission --> torque management, i.e. [ECM 15400]. I've noticed those are very different on some other P01's I've tuned without issue. I thought those would be disabled with disabling abuse mode but maybe not.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I the idiot missing the obvious?

5741, AJ's, Read (2019-09-26).hpt

19-11-06 19-04-27.hpl
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner
    Are you getting any check engine codes? I assume you segment swapped the files as it was originally in an auto and now going into a manual.

Abuse mode is set to 2,000rpm.

Remove that and see what it does.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by EWY View Post
    Are you getting any check engine codes? I assume you segment swapped the files as it was originally in an auto and now going into a manual.
    There was one weird code but I couldn’t find anything on it. Haven’t segment swapped it. I’ve never needed to when putting an auto PCM on a now manual car.

I did try segment swapping it from another auto (couldn’t find a manual for that OS at the time) and it fixed the 2000 RPM limit but I had a ton of other super weird problems. Ie o2’s showing rich and it would keep increasing fuel trims until it misfired and cut off. It was really strange so I’m trying to go back to what otherwise worked if possible. I’ll try to find a manual version of that OS tomorrow so I have it if I need it

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Will do thanks. Not sure why I didn’t see that at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Got it--not sure how I missed that but pretty sure that's it, thanks. I was stuck on looking at the torque management in the transmission section and didn't spend enough time on the engine side. Hopefully that gets it going.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Also found a tune with that OS that has a manual transmission segment so I can use that for a segment swap if the abuse mode settings don't do it, thanks

Now I'm going to delete this thread so no one sees this, haha

Just kidding.

Potential Tuner
    Did turning off abuse mode fix it? I'm having a similar issue but mine kicks in at 1400rpm. Donor was an 03 LQ4 G3500 van with a 4L80e, I put the engine in front of a manual. I have it set to manual with the whole torque management table set to 100% and abuse mode disabled (as well as the entire torque reduction table set to 0%) and it's still doing it. Getting kind of annoyed, I wish I had realized that setting the trans to manual was not the whole story because if I have to spend money to license a manual OS for this ECU it's blowing up my budget more. Any other settings I should look at? I've heard rumors that a segment swap may be necessary as well but haven't ever done that and want to avoid touching that unless it's really necessary.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
    Those who support SECDED ECC, and those who do not.

Advanced Tuner
    The P01 and P59 PCMs have Abuse parameters in both the Engine portion and the Transmission portion of the calibration. From your description, it sounds like you have only adjusted the Transmission portion of the Abuse parameters.

Look at:
    ECM 2800 (Engine)
    ECM 2802 (Engine)

ECM 410 (Transmission)
    ECM 5400 (Transmission)
    ECM 5401 (Transmission)
    ECM 5402 (Transmission)
    ECM 15400 (Transmission)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    The P01 and P59 PCMs have Abuse parameters in both the Engine portion and the Transmission portion of the calibration. From your description, it sounds like you have only adjusted the Transmission portion of the Abuse parameters.

Look at:
    ECM 2800 (Engine)
    ECM 2802 (Engine)

ECM 410 (Transmission)
    ECM 5400 (Transmission)
    ECM 5401 (Transmission)
    ECM 5402 (Transmission)
    ECM 15400 (Transmission)
    Thanks! I, uh...
    drivetrain abuse 2800 section.png

Quote Originally Posted by kastein View Post
    but mine kicks in at 1400rpm.
    ... think you nailed it. I already had all the trans stuff set to 0% reduction and Disabled, but didn't even think to look in the engine section for trans related settings. Give me 5 minutes to flash this and test it and I'll report back, since I hate it when threads just disappear instead of being resolved.

Potential Tuner
    That was it! Jon, if you're ever in central Mass (in the next few months) or western Washington (if I'm out there), beer's on me.

Advanced Tuner
    You are very welcome. I am located near Toronto - and the border between our two countries remains closed thanks to COVID-19.