Thread: It's a miracle!!!!!!!!!

It's a miracle!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying to get this engine to start for quite awhile. With help from some of you it starts but shuts right off. I - we got it to run but now this. I logged a very short scan but maybe one of you has an idea for now. I don't know why but I can't get it to log onto the forum. I will keep trying but I had someone help me with it before and for right now I am stuck. If one of you has an idea please share it. 2012 Cruze 1.4l turbo , A/T , ..standalone setup, nothing ommited all sensors and wiring intact.

Thanks,Jim

Thanks to Sprinto7, Littleblue, 5FDP, badcoupe and others.

Congrats! sorry I missed your call. I'm at the 9 to 5 and it's been hectic. I'll call you after work today and see if we can talk through it if you don't have it resolved by then

Without seeing anything, one thing that might help is raising the rpm idle until you get fueling dialed in.

short scan for start up and die

start scan 1.hpl

I hope this will help someone trying to help me figure out start and then die on this 1.4l. It is very short but thats all the longer I can keep it running.

littleblue, I rechecked that idle speed and its above 1300 not the 730 I said it was (I need new glasses). Those injectors I had ordered came in I am going to try them without any adjustments and see what happens, maybe it will help but probably not I'm not that lucky.
    Last edited by carotene; 11-23-2019 at 08:19 AM.

I installed 42lb inj it idles a little longer and I get a very little reaction from the throttle. It will raise the rpms a little but still dies out I can't keep it running. I have never seen the DTC's act like this, there are at least 20 to 25 that get set when it gets scanned but they will change every time it gets scanned again and some will go away and others will show up. I know it sounds like bs but it does happen. Some of you extremely smart people may have an idea of what to check. I will put up another scan of the 42's when the sun comes up. Still nothing has been changed stock motor on stock tune.
    Last edited by carotene; 11-24-2019 at 08:24 AM.

The injector data should show a massive improvement. Those are a common injector for the Cruze so I expect there is some info out there. I'll poke around today and see if I can find a file for the e78 with 42 injectors. Did any paperwork cone with the injector that had info? Sorry if I already asked

Also, on the idle, when I raised it I used the base set point table under engine>idle>rpm. The table is target idle speed vs. Coolant temp. I'd focus on injector data now but idle speed was a little bit of a cheat for me while I was dialing in my fueling/injectors so I mention it here incase it helps. It helped when I was tuning the vve table buly preventing the vehicle from stalling during logs
    Last edited by LittleBlue; 11-24-2019 at 09:03 AM.

No injector data, thats why they were so cheap. I got it to run a little more, if I just blip the throttle continuosly it will rev but if I stop or hold in one position it will not run. I will try setting idle up but I'm not sure it will work. I'm going to try and increase injector pulse, when I increased the line pressure it ran a little longer and sounded better.

You will want to adjust the flow rate vs. Pressure table to reflect the new injector. I can't remember if you've posted your tune file or not yet but I think we could back into a decent starting point with that. Do you know what the stock injectors were for lbs/hr?

No, whatever stock should be I got the engine from a bone yard, people I know and trust, 17000 miles. You know I really should write down everything because I forget to much, remember yesterday you told me where I had made the mistake on keeping that tune? I forgot already s@#t this isn't that hard I'm really going to have a time of it when I start to tune. It would be great for some of us if there was some kind of book or even a pamphlet on the basics of the vcm editor with all of the different parameters It's hard to find which ones you need and where they are. I'm not talking numbers just which is for what. I hope everyone understands what I mean because I don't always put it into the right words.

tune

iat unpluged.hpl

I tried to get both on one post but it wouldn't add it without canceling the other

Last edited by carotene; 11-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Tuner
    First of all, congrats on getting it to start.
    Please explain here what you fixed to get it to work so that others can learn from your work. (at least i would like to know)

Why did you change injectors, you now went from a known injector characterization to something you don't even know of they're any good and matched together. Personally i'd use the stock fuel injectors until you get a stabil baseline then only modify after.

Please log cylinder air mass. fueling and spark advance is dictated on cylinder airmass. Your MAF airflow seems very low to me at 1 g/s, is you're MAF installed correctly and you don't have any air leaks? it's not installed backwards is it?

I know you dont want to hear about spending more money but you need a wide range air fuel sensor; some call it a wideband oxygen sensor. This is extremely useful as it will tell you if your car is too rich or too lean. not just troubleshooting now, but you'll definitely need it when tuning for WOT. if you get a wideband, you connect it to record with HPTuners, then the data shows up in all your recordings. makes troubleshooting and tuning much much easier.

I remember you saying that your fuel pressure is higher than the 400kPa that comes factory, you might be overfueling because of the higher fuel pressure; especially since you moved to bigger injectors? Or you might be underfueling because your MAF isn't reading correctly, without a wideband Oxygen sensor i don't think you can tell which way to correct it.