Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Repository

Tuner in Training

Toyota Repository

Still having trouble accessing the repository. was going to add my S/C Tundra Factory Calibration and hopefully start filling in since there is so little info out on our trucks..

Any help is appreciated

Tuner
    Can you attach the file here?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yes you can attach files here on our forum.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    so i take this answer as the forum is going to be the new Repository??

Tuner in Training
    Should i add the file into this Thread or start a new thread?

Tuner in Training
    2015 Tundra 5.7L Base Tune.hpt

as i wait for a reply from the powers that be on this forum i am posting this factory calibration here for anyone who needs it.

Here is the Base Calibration for my 2015 Toyota Tundra Supercharged 5.7L

Tuner in Training
    Okay if i can get some operation from fellow Toyota Tuners it would be greatly appreciated.

If you make any Changes to the Stock Calibration could you add them into this Thread.
    When you Add it in Title the file as:
    Year Tundra 5.7L your name.

Under the file put any mods and Weather during your tune

hopefully we can get a decent file thread going here.

A couple of files that may be handy for anyone messing with Tundras

2018 Tundra 5.7 Flex, Stock Tune - 2018 Tundra 5_7 Base.hpt
    2018 Tundra 5.7 Flex, Tow/Haul Gear Hold - 2018 Tundra 5_7 Tow_Haul Gear Hold.hpt
    Typical channels for logging - TundraTypical.Channels.xml
    Handy graphs for logging - TundraTypical.Graphs.xml

The "Tow/Haul Gear Holding" file aims to hold the indicated gear when in Tow/Haul mode with the shifter in "S" - it's useful for logging and playing in mud/snow, but without a separate table for "S" it's not so useful otherwise, and I recommend more conservative throttle mapping for logging

Some notes (mostly for those totally new) since there doesn't seem to be much info out there on Tundras (please correct me if you have better information, I'm just a spare-time hobbyist):

Channels "WB EQ Ratio 1" and "WB EQ Ratio 5" are the upstream sensors, the downstream sensor channels have a "(2)" at the end
    Stock WB sensors have a range from 0.81 lambda to 1.23 lambda (~11.8-18 AFR); stock PE is beyond this, COT even further so - any tuning based on EQ error needs to account for this
    Commanded gears are "open for interpretation" - even with the "Gear Hold" shift schedule, the truck can (though may not) downshift to 1st at a stop and upshift to the selected gear on acceleration
    Knock retard can be loosely monitored via "Knock Feedback": -3.0 or greater indicates no knock retard, below -3.0 indicates knock retard (actual Knock Correct Learn makes this trickier)
    "Trans Fluid Temp" is the temp in the pan, "Trans Fluid Temp B" is the temp after the converter

A few specific notes on cam timing since it's a bit murky (again, correct my ignorance/stupidity):

The "Load" axis is Absolute Load, not Calculated Load
    Intake cam timing values represent intake advance, exhaust cam timing values represent exhaust retard
    For throttle positions below the "Low TPS" value, target cam timing is based on Absolute Load and RPM
    For throttle positions above the "High TPS" value, target cam timing is based on the "High TPS Load" row - e.g., for a "High TPS Load" of "100%" it references the "100%" Load row, regardless of actual Absolute Load
    For throttle positions between the "Low TPS" and "High TPS" values, cam timing is interpolated between the "Low TPS" and "High TPS" targets above
    Based on my logs, there's a hard limit on overlap - regardless of the commanded timing, the sum of intake advance and exhaust retard won't exceed ~52 degrees
    Based on my logs, if intake advance + exhaust retard > 52 degrees, intake timing takes priority and exhaust retard ~= 52 degrees - intake advance

Probably the two most common "fixes" people want that can be addressed via tune (these should be pretty obvious):

Problem: AIR pump failure limp mode
    "Fix": Under "Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle -> Sec Air Fault", increase the max throttle angle for "Air Fault A" and "Air Fault B"

Problem: Truck "stalls" on obstacles in 4LO
    "Fix": Under "Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle -> Fwd/Rev", increase the max throttle angle for "1st Gear 4WD Low" and "Rev Gear 4WD Low"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SlowNStock; 04-26-2022 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Broken Attachments

Tuner in Training

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNStock View Post
    A couple of files that may be handy for anyone messing with Tundras

2018 Tundra 5.7 Flex, Stock Tune - 2018 Tundra 5_7 Base.hpt
    2018 Tundra 5.7 Flex, Tow/Haul Gear Hold - 2018 Tundra 5_7 Tow_Haul Gear Hold.hpt
    2018 Tundra 5.7 Flex, PE and Intake Cam Changes - 2018 Tundra 5_7 Intake_Cam_Timing PE_EQ_Ratio.hpt
    Typical channels for logging - TundraTypical.Channels.xml
    Handy graphs for logging - TundraTypical.Graphs.xml

The "Tow/Haul Gear Holding" file aims to hold the indicated gear when in Tow/Haul mode with the shifter in "S" - it's useful for logging and playing in mud/snow, but without a separate table for "S" it's not so useful otherwise, and I recommend more conservative throttle mapping for logging

The "PE and Intake Cam Changes" file is based on an effectively stock truck (TRD airflow accelerator & a catback) and has two small changes: (1) PE is ~3% leaner above 3200 RPM and (2) a handful of adjustments to intake cam timing. Cam timing is based on street logs and doesn't include changes for WOT, the differences are small; PE is about as lean as the truck seems to like with 87 octane and stock timing - any further and KR starts to creep up. Not an extensive tune, just a reference point.

Some notes (mostly for those totally new) since there doesn't seem to be much info out there on Tundras (please correct me if you have better information, I'm just a spare-time hobbyist):

Channels "WB EQ Ratio 1" and "WB EQ Ratio 5" are the upstream sensors, the downstream sensor channels have a "(2)" at the end
    Stock WB sensors have a range from 0.81 lambda to 1.23 lambda (~11.8-18 AFR); stock PE is beyond this, COT even further so - any tuning based on EQ error needs to account for this
    Commanded gears are "open for interpretation" - even with the "Gear Hold" shift schedule, the truck can (though may not) downshift to 1st at a stop and upshift to the selected gear on acceleration
    Knock retard can be loosely monitored via "Knock Feedback": -3.0 or greater indicates no knock retard, below -3.0 indicates knock retard (actual Knock Correct Learn makes this trickier)
    "Trans Fluid Temp" is the temp in the pan, "Trans Fluid Temp B" is the temp after the converter

A few specific notes on cam timing since it's a bit murky (again, correct my ignorance/stupidity):

The "Load" axis is Absolute Load, not Calculated Load
    Intake cam timing values represent intake advance, exhaust cam timing values represent exhaust retard
    For throttle positions below the "Low TPS" value, target cam timing is based on Absolute Load and RPM
    For throttle positions above the "High TPS" value, target cam timing is based on the "High TPS Load" row - e.g., for a "High TPS Load" of "100%" it references the "100%" Load row, regardless of actual Absolute Load
    For throttle positions between the "Low TPS" and "High TPS" values, cam timing is interpolated between the "Low TPS" and "High TPS" targets above
    Based on my logs, there's a hard limit on overlap - regardless of the commanded timing, the sum of intake advance and exhaust retard won't exceed ~52 degrees
    Based on my logs, if intake advance + exhaust retard > 52 degrees, intake timing takes priority and exhaust retard ~= 52 degrees - intake advance

Probably the two most common "fixes" people want that can be addressed via tune (these should be pretty obvious):

Problem: AIR pump failure limp mode
    "Fix": Under "Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle -> Sec Air Fault", increase the max throttle angle for "Air Fault A" and "Air Fault B"

Problem: Truck "stalls" on obstacles in 4LO
    "Fix": Under "Engine -> Airflow -> Electronic Throttle -> Fwd/Rev", increase the max throttle angle for "1st Gear 4WD Low" and "Rev Gear 4WD Low"
    Thanks a Ton for this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobrain06 View Post
    Thanks a Ton for this!!!
    Happy to help, it's frustrating not having a lot of documentation and trying to work backwards from logs

Couple small things to add to my last post:

You can adjust for different tire sizes in the tune, but that won't change the speed displayed in the cluster (calculated elsewhere)
    Most transmission tables are based on output shaft speed - here's a spreadsheet that may be handy transforming output shaft speed to vehicle speed/engine RPM and vice versa (yellow cells are input, green cells are calculated values): AB60.xlsx

Here's my best understanding of ignition timing on Tundras:

Ignition Advance is calculated as: Final Timing = Minimum Spark + Knock Correct Learn + Knock Feedback - Knock Offset
    Knock Correct Learn and Knock Feedback will be logged values (there is a PID to log just the correction, but doesn't work for me)
    Knock Offset can be found under "Engine -> Spark -> Retard -> Knock Retard"
    Minimum spark is determined by the least advanced of the following (all can be found under "Engine -> Spark -> Advance")

Base Spark + Exhaust Cam Spark Base
    Low Octane Spark + Exhaust Cam Spark Base
    High Octane Spark + Exhaust Cam Spark HO

With this, I'm able to pretty closely match timing tables to logs, but I'm not confident that this is totally correct - it makes the stock tune a bit confusing (the high advance in the LO and HO tables is never achieved, for instance)
    At your own caution, the "easy" workaround is to change the all three tables at the same time (Base Spark, LO Spark, and HO Spark)

Tuner in Training
    This is also helping in other ways. I'm pretty green when it comes to tuning and don't like relying on friends even though they love messing with my truck id like to learn this myself.

Tuner in Training
    Dear SlowNStock,

First thing I would like to thank you for the informative posts on Tundras platform, I am enjoy reading them repeatedly.

For knock retard, I think we would need to watch both Knock feedback and Knock correct learn PIDs.

I have a query regarding supercharger application. If I need to rich the mixture at WOT to target an AFR of 11-11.5, would I need to tweak the PE table alone without looking at the MAF table? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by korbiams View Post
    Dear SlowNStock,

First thing I would like to thank you for the informative posts on Tundras platform, I am enjoy reading them repeatedly.

For knock retard, I think we would need to watch both Knock feedback and Knock correct learn PIDs.

I have a query regarding supercharger application. If I need to rich the mixture at WOT to target an AFR of 11-11.5, would I need to tweak the PE table alone without looking at the MAF table? Thanks in advance.
    RE: knock retard - yes, logging both is the smart choice, but you can address it with Knock Feedback alone. Knock Feedback is the easier concept to pick up (more similar to traditional KR) and generally enough to get the job done, even if it's not the complete picture - I was trying to allude to that in my earlier post, but didn't do a good job.

Some of the reasoning (which you may already know):

(1) Assuming the Learn Max value ("Engine -> Spark -> Retard -> Knock Adaptive Learning") results in total timing less-than or equal-to MBT, reaching a Knock Correct Learn Value (KCLV) equal to Learn Max is desirable
    (2) Knock Correct Learn is a coarse correction, there are three zones (defined under "Engine -> Spark -> Retard -> RPM Zone") and they are independent of load - changes to KCLV impact the entire zone (highlighted below)
    (3) KCLV only updates under the conditions defined under "Engine -> Spark -> Retard -> Knock Adaptive Learning -> Enable" and when Knock Feedback > Default Value + Learn Up Offset (upper threshold, increases KCLV) or < Default Value - Learn Down Offset (lower threshold, decreases KCLV)

KnockLearnZones.PNG

Because our goal (1) is to maximize KCLV, and Knock Feedback below the lower threshold (3) can impact a significant portion of the map (2), we want to correct timing where Knock Feedback is below the Default Value in the corresponding Load/RPM cells (with some tolerance/filtering). In that vein, a fair shake of knock retard logging/correction can be done via Knock Feedback alone.

Knock Correct Learn, by design, is a better measure of broad impacts on timing (like octane rating) rather than specific knock retard events. That said, logging KCLV gives greater insight into certain behavior (again, so we can filter it), like learn up/down or as we encounter a zone boundary (going from a zone of with a lower KCLV to higher typically results in a brief decrease in Knock Feedback), and provides a measure of impact from a timing change (we're typically looking for a higher KCLV after pulling timing where we observe Knock Feedback below the lower threshold).

RE: Supercharger, I want to make sure I'm clear on your question - has the MAF table already been calibrated for the supercharger and you're just wanting to target a richer AFR?

If the MAF table has already been tuned, and the other fueling tables are correct, then you only need to adjust the PE table for your target AFR; if the MAF table is still stock, you'll need to adjust both the MAF and PE
    Last edited by SlowNStock; 02-08-2020 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Broken Attachment

Tuner in Training
    Thanks a million once again @SlowNStock . Yes, you are correct. The MAF table is already calibrated for normal cruising with fuel trims within + or - 5%.

Tuner in Training
    2016 Flex Fuel Tundra 2016 with LT headers and CAI.

Thanks for all the info SlowNstock! This is great info and looking forward to Learning more from you and others!

Tuner in Training
    I realised that tuners change the initial value for Knock learn from 19 to 15 degrees or lower.

The default values for both Init and Max knock learn is 19.

May I ask why do we need to do so (lowering the initial value for Knock learn)?

Quote Originally Posted by korbiams View Post
    I realised that tuners change the initial value for Knock learn from 19 to 15 degrees or lower.

The default values for both Init and Max knock learn is 19.

May I ask why do we need to do so (lowering the initial value for Knock learn)?
    Basically all the base files I've seen have Init at 14 or 15, which matches logs of totally stock vehicles; not to say there isn't some factory cal with a different value, definitely wouldn't surprise me outside of the US.

Really you can set Init to whatever value you want, it will eventually learn to the same "final" value - it's simply that the further (above or below) your Init value is from that theoretical final value, the longer it will take to get there.

An Init value that's close to the final value means less time learning up/down.

For example, at my conditions (87 octane, ~sea level, unloaded), knock learn usually winds up in the 16.5-17 range, so I set my Init value to ~16.5, which seems to knock several minutes off of the knock learn process - no big deal if you're just driving it around, but helpful if you're logging changes back-to-back.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowNStock View Post
    Basically all the base files I've seen have Init at 14 or 15, which matches logs of totally stock vehicles; not to say there isn't some factory cal with a different value, definitely wouldn't surprise me outside of the US.

Really you can set Init to whatever value you want, it will eventually learn to the same "final" value - it's simply that the further (above or below) your Init value is from that theoretical final value, the longer it will take to get there.

An Init value that's close to the final value means less time learning up/down.

For example, at my conditions (87 octane, ~sea level, unloaded), knock learn usually winds up in the 16.5-17 range, so I set my Init value to ~16.5, which seems to knock several minutes off of the knock learn process - no big deal if you're just driving it around, but helpful if you're logging changes back-to-back.
    Thanks for the info.

On a side note, hptuners support could not add the torque management tables currently. However after tweaking the desired throttle angle tables, trans shifts are way smoother!

I also have improved my 1\4 mile time significantly, to be accurate by 0.7 sec.

One thing I noticed is that Knock Feedback goes to zero at wot. My question is can I still advance the timing?

Attached is the log file with layout I am using. Thanks.

Tuner
    KFB > -3.0 is ?good?, < -3.0 is ?bad?.