Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toyota Repository

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowNStock View Post
    Increasing the rev limit is straightforward, it's under "Engine -> Fuel -> Cutoff, DFCO", just increase to the value you'd like. Don't go crazy on the stock valvetrain...

As far as the 2-3 shift - couple things to be done.

Per your attached file, I see you've dropped your 2-3 shift in Normal and Tow/Haul, you should also drop those corresponding values in the "Cold" and "Fault" tables as well.

If the truck still shifts too high, multiply by the ratio of target/actual. In this case, with a target shift of 5800 and an actual shift of 6100, you have a ratio of 5800/6100 or ~0.95, multiply your WOT shifts by this figure, and smooth into the remaining as you see fit.

I've made those hypothetical changes in the attached as an example - rev limit is raised to 6400, WOT shift points dropped by 5%, and the resulting shift scheduling copied over to the "Cold" and "Fault" tables.

Example file: Attachment 97869

A word on your log - you'll want to pare down the channels for the specific task at hand, having the whole kit and caboodle is fine to take a high-level look, but for something like this the net polling interval is a bit slow to get an accurate picture (I realize that's probably my fault for not putting more explanation in my earlier posts). Here's an example of a smaller set of channels with better polling intervals, if you do a log with both you should notice the difference right away (you may need to fine tune polling intervals further): Attachment 97871

Thanks @SlowNStock. I managed to amend the shift points, which are honestly not my ultimate goal.

1-2 shift is remarkably better after making it to shift earlier.

However 2-3 is still not smooth. The shift is hard and makes the truck to stall. I also noticed that ignition timing goes to Zero at 2-3 & 3-4. Is this normal?

I have reached HP Tuners support again today requesting for torque management tables. Here is the response:" the shift pressure and trans torque management parameters aren't visible it means that we don't have the slave CPU calibration file. They are very hard to find as they only available from Toyota directly and cannot be read from the chip."

Do we have a walk around in order to tweak the shifting a bit?

Attached is my log and tune file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by korbiams View Post
    Thanks @SlowNStock. I managed to amend the shift points, which are honestly not my ultimate goal.

1-2 shift is remarkably better after making it to shift earlier.

However 2-3 is still not smooth. The shift is hard and makes the truck to stall. I also noticed that ignition timing goes to Zero at 2-3 & 3-4. Is this normal?

I have reached HP Tuners support again today requesting for torque management tables. Here is the response:" the shift pressure and trans torque management parameters aren't visible it means that we don't have the slave CPU calibration file. They are very hard to find as they only available from Toyota directly and cannot be read from the chip."

Do we have a walk around in order to tweak the shifting a bit?

Attached is my log and tune file
    Yes, timing pulled during a shift is normal, that's torque management doing its job.

It's a bummer that you can't get to those parameters, that's the easiest way to handle shift quality.

As a workaround, you can modify the Ignition Efficiency and Ignition Efficiency Inverse tables under "Engine -> Torque Model -> General -> Spark Effects".

Increasing the efficiency for a given spark in the Ignition Efficiency table will cause the PCM to pull more timing for a given torque reduction request - when the PCM receives a request for torque reduction, it determines a target efficiency and looks up corresponding timing reductions. You need the Inverse table to match accordingly, which requires a bit of math - here's a spreadsheet that will calculate your Inverse table for a given Ignition Efficiency table: Tundra Ignition Efficiency.xlsx

Simply paste your Ignition Efficiency table on the "Ignition Efficiency" sheet and the Inverse table will be calculated for you - copy and paste that into HPTuners and you're all set.

You'll really only want to edit the areas affecting your problematic shifts - in this case, MBT ~22 degrees and below.

The attached is a baseline for you to try, it simply uses the ignition efficiency for higher MBT rows for the lower MBT rows - you may need to try to increase these further if shift quality improves but is still problematic. Your Optimum Trans Input Torque table ("Engine -> Torque Model -> General") is also set back to stock - even the TRD file floating around uses those values, so there shouldn't be an issue using them. ECT max Throttle vs RPM Added (4) _ EDITS.hpt

Higher values in the torque table causes less spark to be pulled for a given torque reduction - loosely, the ignition efficiency is looked up according to:

(Current Trans Torque - Torque Reduction) / Current Trans Torque = Target Efficiency

Artificially high Trans Torque values will cause the Target Efficiency value to be much higher, corresponding to less spark retard.
    Last edited by SlowNStock; 1 Day Ago at 03:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowNStock View Post
    Yes, timing pulled during a shift is normal, that's torque management doing its job.

It's a bummer that you can't get to those parameters, that's the easiest way to handle shift quality.

As a workaround, you can modify the Ignition Efficiency and Ignition Efficiency Inverse tables under "Engine -> Torque Model -> General -> Spark Effects".

Increasing the efficiency for a given spark in the Ignition Efficiency table will cause the PCM to pull more timing for a given torque reduction request - when the PCM receives a request for torque reduction, it determines a target efficiency and looks up corresponding timing reductions. You need the Inverse table to match accordingly, which requires a bit of math - here's a spreadsheet that will calculate your Inverse table for a given Ignition Efficiency table: Tundra Ignition Efficiency.xlsx

Simply paste your Ignition Efficiency table on the "Ignition Efficiency" sheet and the Inverse table will be calculated for you - copy and paste that into HPTuners and you're all set.

You'll really only want to edit the areas affecting your problematic shifts - in this case, MBT ~22 degrees and below.

The attached is a baseline for you to try, it simply uses the ignition efficiency for higher MBT rows for the lower MBT rows - you may need to try to increase these further if shift quality improves but is still problematic. Your Optimum Trans Input Torque table ("Engine -> Torque Model -> General") is also set back to stock - even the TRD file floating around uses those values, so there shouldn't be an issue using them. ECT max Throttle vs RPM Added (4) _ EDITS.hpt

Higher values in the torque table causes less spark to be pulled for a given torque reduction - loosely, the ignition efficiency is looked up according to:

(Current Trans Torque - Torque Reduction) / Current Trans Torque = Target Efficiency

Artificially high Trans Torque values will cause the Target Efficiency value to be much higher, corresponding to less spark retard.
    Thanks a million man, it surely shifts a lot better.
    1/4 mile improved by 0.3s by only tweaking the Ignition Efficiency table.

Gonna install Water Methanol injection next week. Then I will try advance timing by 2-3 degrees (currently ~17*, at 5.5 Psi of boost).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by korbiams View Post
    Thanks a million man, it surely shifts a lot better.
    1/4 mile improved by 0.3s by only tweaking the Ignition Efficiency table.

Gonna install Water Methanol injection next week. Then I will try advance timing by 2-3 degrees (currently ~17*, at 5.5 Psi of boost).
    Glad to hear it worked well for you, a good example of how proper torque management can make something quicker. Good luck with the meth install and tuning!