Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZF8 shift pressures and timing - for Steven@HP

I did a bit of reverse engineering on which clutches are active in each gear as I couldn't find any useful information online for the ZF8HP75. This is for a 2019 RAM 5.7L which I don't believe should matter as I doubt there are variants of the ZF8HP75.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    A Yes Yes Yes Yes
    B Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    C Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    D Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    E Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
    C E C D C E A E
    Attached Images Attached Images

Edited my response to include downshift tuning also.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ic3man5 View Post
    Edited my response to include downshift tuning also.
    You wrote earlier
    "Shift Pressures -> Downshift -> Offcoming Clutch
    Like above, this is named backwards and might actually consider this a bug in HP Tuners or the ZF naming scheme is just strange. I've gone and increased all these pressures by 20% without issues. The stock pressures are too weak if you downshift with the torque converter unlocked IMO. I've reduced the pressure around idle shifts by 50% to smooth out the downshifts. There is little to no "bump" felt now."

Why and why did you decide to raise the pressure by 20%? I think it interferes

Quote Originally Posted by ezhik89rus View Post
    You wrote earlier
    "Shift Pressures -> Downshift -> Offcoming Clutch
    Like above, this is named backwards and might actually consider this a bug in HP Tuners or the ZF naming scheme is just strange. I've gone and increased all these pressures by 20% without issues. The stock pressures are too weak if you downshift with the torque converter unlocked IMO. I've reduced the pressure around idle shifts by 50% to smooth out the downshifts. There is little to no "bump" felt now."

Why and why did you decide to raise the pressure by 20%? I think it interferes
    I need to update all the downshift stuff, it doesn't work the way I originally thought it did and I still don't fully understand it. I need to spend a couple more hours with it to completely figure it out (5 week old newborn is preventing a lot right now). From what I can tell we don't have full control over the downshift. Oncoming clutch is used just enough so we don't drop RPM (opposite of a flare) and the offgoing clutch is used to smooth out the apply of the oncoming clutch calculated by the TCM. I "believe" the TCM is calculating it purely from shift timing. I have zeroed out both oncoming and offgoing tables and the truck will still shift (really hard though). I wish I would have written it down but I believe a "slow" shift time paired with a high offgoing clutch pressure will throw a code saying it can't complete the shift. Most of the time if you zero out the oncoming clutch pressures it will still work almost 100% of the time as I believe the ECU will attempt to hold the RPMs of the engine. To summarize, increasing offgoing clutch pressure to smooth out hard hits when lowering shift timing seems to be the "basic" way to do things here.

I also know the transmission goes into a "fail safe" mode when the previous shift doesn't happen in time for the next shift (ie. OSS for 2-1 is 200 but we are still doing 3-2 until 180 OSS). It will increase pressure to lock the clutches and then immediately shift really fast for the next shift. This threw me for a loop for a while and I believe its the reason you will feel the 2-1 shift "bump" harder on a quicker brake. We really need a deacceleration factor in these tables to make it shift perfect and we don't have that.
    Last edited by ic3man5; 10-27-2022 at 12:32 AM.

not to throw off the conversation here to much, but im having an issue where my car doesnt want to shift from 1st to 2nd at wot. ive tried just about everything i can think of to fix it. i have it set to shift at 5600rpm, and the last time i was at the track(which its been a few months) it shifted at 6600rpm. is there anything else im missing? i can post the tune i had, and what i have now. ive done a cam swap sense my last cam swap, so still working out a few bugs, and making adjustments on normal shift firmness
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned

Tuner in Training
    ic3man5 Congratulations on new born...now we know why you had to take a quick trip to hospital . Have you got any idea what the last row in the clutch table represents? FYI- this table is good for the ZF8HP90 also. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshCP527 View Post
    Torque Management -> Upshift -> Forced Torque Intervention
    This is a turbine speed delta by engine trq map. After the shift has gone through and tries to apply line pressure at the end. If its botched and still cant make the hand off this is the map that kicks in and pulls trq to get the gear back in line. Its the final trq reduction and a last ditch hope. You see this usually as timing that doesn't come back right after a slip shift. I found out during the early days disabling some or all trq management cant remember but 4-5 slipper was the outcome with that table able to change how much timing at the end was held till the gear came in line.
    how is the turbine speed delta determined...i.e. what are the 2-turbine speeds subtracted from one another to calculate the delta? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhcasey View Post
    ic3man5 Congratulations on new born...now we know why you had to take a quick trip to hospital . Have you got any idea what the last row in the clutch table represents? FYI- this table is good for the ZF8HP90 also. Thanks
    thanks!

Which table are you talking about? I've learned a little bit more about how the transmission works. The slip times seem to be purely a fail safe, if it slips over the specified time it goes into a fail safe shift mode that basically uses line pressure for the oncoming clutch and uses the offgoing clutch table to offset how aggressive it is. You can see how poor your shift pressures are setup by maxing out the slip times and lower the offgoing clutch pressures a lot (you can safely zero it out, it will just drop RPM until this happens). It also goes into this fail safe shift mode when the gears aren't shifting fast enough (Target OSS shift is about to be missed and its still executing another downshift).

Tuner in Training
    Merry Christmas ic3man5...It was the table that you had included in a previous post #46. I had never seen the engaged clutches per gear table with that row but I figured it out ...it's the oncoming clutch.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mxatunerjg View Post
    I actually took an approach basically identical to what you just described on a test mule last weekend. I had been thinking about it and remembered we had the ability to control the estimated tq values. I figured if I could get the PCM to think the tq value was lower the TCM wouldn't step in and reduce tq. Once I figured that side out on the dyno, then I worked on the tcm shifting pressures as well as how much tq reduction was used for shifts. When finished it drove like stock under normal conditions, and then when hard in the throttle shifting became very firm and quick. I had some others drive it as well and they loved it so I'm going to implement it into one I'm working on now to see how if I can replicate the results on a different setup. Thanks for the advice, good to hear someone else came up with the same approach and has had success with it as well.
    This is exactly what I?d like to do, but I?m no tuner? I?ve had my Durango dyno tuned and I hate how the tranny is now? always thought it was just engine tune, but the more I drive it the more I think the tranny needs adjusted for the 274 cam in the 5.7

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by durangoRTRob View Post
    This is exactly what I?d like to do, but I?m no tuner? I?ve had my Durango dyno tuned and I hate how the tranny is now? always thought it was just engine tune, but the more I drive it the more I think the tranny needs adjusted for the 274 cam in the 5.7
    Hello durangoRTRob,

I can support your tune! I just sent you a private message.
    DodgeBoy ([email protected])

Advanced Tuner
    How do you fake the trans out dodgeboy_8hp?? Do you lower the max flywheel torque table values and continue to use that table or??? Seems the trans would shift slower and softer if it thought my hemi was making half the torque?????

This aint pro stock or factory experimental.

Or is this is your livelihood and you are on this forum only to advertise services?

Do share. Please do : )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Advanced Tuner
    Thats my thought as well.

Trying to get 2-3 a lil quiicker (my car (2016 500hp @ crank) had lousy 2-3 when i got it a year ago @ only 10k miles) (part throttle would bog going into 3rd) (got that sorted but want to speed up that wot 2-3 shift if possible).

3-4 a lil stiffer. That shift is almost happening too quick. That gear (4) is not a whole lot taller than 3 so you would think it would be fine like that but it looks like (@ wot) timing is coming back in too soon and its slipping some into 4.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    How do you fake the trans out dodgeboy_8hp?? Do you lower the max flywheel torque table values and continue to use that table or??? Seems the trans would shift slower and softer if it thought my hemi was making half the torque?????

This aint pro stock or factory experimental.

Or is this is your livelihood and you are on this forum only to advertise services?

Do share. Please do : )
    You have a couple of options:
    - You could make engine to broadcast a smaller value (in case your engine is delivering more torque than tranny can handle and tranny is "cutting" torque)
    - you can increase max allowed torque on tranny side
    - you can play around with filling / pressure / timing / gradient / torque management / timing

If not done correctly, tranny will re-learn and your shift will become softer (most likely) or harder.

People need to understand that indivertibly increase pressure will: damage the tranny hardware (short term) and tranny will soft the shift over time due to GLS Adaptation (mid to long term). Than, you will probably have undesired slip & flare.
    Last edited by DodgeBoy_8HP; 03-01-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for sharing. I hear ya on the learning part. Makes it tricky to tune huh? Would suck to figure out something that works then the ?learning? softens it up. You see the log I posted for spoolboy? What do you see? Thx

Tuner
    Thanks for sharing. I hear ya on the learning part. Makes it tricky to tune huh? Would suck to figure out something that works then the ?learning? softens it up. You see the log I posted for spoolboy? What do you see? Thx
    I see a couple of issues:
    - Torque Converter Closing
    - Shift Pressure & timing (this is causing the shift to not fully complete before the next one - which causes "engagement shocks")
    - Shift Schedule (VERY uneven - specially at 80% throttle and above) -> attached the chart showing your current shift pointsScreenshot 2023-03-02 063932.png

yeah, I would change quit a bit in this tune

Advanced Tuner
    That is what ya saw that you say is messed up in my TUNE. Whatcha see wrong in the LOG ?

What is tc closing? i run the stock maps on the street and leave that solenoid closed at the strip.

Engagement shocks? where do i see those on a log?

Shift Schedule - Yeah, I made it uneven on purpose. Drag racing you want it like that. The car is quicker like that because of how the ratio's are spread out. I am gonna try using the paddle for the top of 3rd cuz it wont shift soon enough no matter what values are in the tables. Optimum rpm for my car is 66-6700 low, 6400 2nd, and 6000 3rd... Top of 4th (what rpm it shifts into 5th) does not seem to effect my E.T.
    Last edited by LilSick; 03-02-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    What are you trying to do?
    ^^^
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Tuner
    That is what ya saw that you say is messed up in my TUNE. Whatcha see wrong in the LOG ?

What is tc closing? i run the stock maps on the street and leave that solenoid closed at the strip.

Engagement shocks? where do i see those on a log?

Shift Schedule - Yeah, I made it uneven on purpose. Drag racing you want it like that. The car is quicker like that because of how the ratio's are spread out. I am gonna try using the paddle for the top of 3rd cuz it wont shift soon enough no matter what values are in the tables. Optimum rpm for my car is 66-6700 low, 6400 2nd, and 6000 3rd... Top of 4th (what rpm it shifts into 5th) does not seem to effect my E.T.
    All the potential modifications I mentioned were based on the log you posted as well.

I personally do not like to keep Torque Converter (TC) open till 4th or 5th gear... you are loosing power and unnecessarily overheating the whole system.

Yes, engagement shocks because transmission does not fully complete the upshift and than starts another one (upshift are made up with roughly 4 phases - based on your log, around the third phase on 1st to 2nd, the first phase from 2nd to 3rd starts -> this creates a system shock)

On shift schedule I have a different opinion than yours: I understand making it to always upshit in the best torque vs. power point. However, yours is uneven... look at 3rd to 4th: it is set to upshit at 5475 rpms.

Anyways, if it works for you, great! I just would do it in a different way

Advanced Tuner
    After you have tuned them how many zf8 cars with 500 or more hp and a 370 gear get thru all 4 stages of 1-2 shift before starting stage one of 2-3 ?

Mine has 91" of rollout
    [email protected]

don tanklage