Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.3 to 5.3 swap

Tuner in Training

4.3 to 5.3 swap

Hey guys, I?m very new to this, so bear with me please. I?ve been reading on the forums, but I don?t think I?ve found my answer. I?ve got an 05 Silverado that is factory with the 4.3. I?m swapping in a 04 LM7 5.3. I do not have the pcm for the LM7, though I?m going to go to the yard and get one. My issue is that my truck is a manual transmission. As far as I?m aware, only a few trucks ever came with a 5.3 and a manual, and that was in 1999. There were more 4.8s with manuals. So, I understand I need to do a transmission segment swap on the 5.3 pcm, but where does one get the file to swap from if there?s nothing in the repository for a manual transmission Silverado? Sorry if this has been answered a 100 times, but I couldn?t find it. Thank you very much in advance.

Tuner in Training
    Can I use my 4.3 pcm for the segment swap or will that require credits? There?s a 4.3 manual stick tune in the repository also...

Are you installing the 5.3 with the matching wire harness and drive by wire stuff?

Or are you keep it drive by cable?

The segment swap really isn't going to work that well going from auto to manual, it works better when it's 60e to 80e or vise versa.

They did sell the 6.0 trucks with a manual up until 2004 or 2006 I thought but they are still drive by wire. So if you were DBW you could have the computer flashed with a dealership tool to a 6.0 manual file, then just copy paste the 5.3 engine information into that computer.

If you are keeping it drive by cable it's probably better to flash the computer with a calibration from a express/savanna van as those used a P59 computer with drive by cable up to around 2005 before switching over to drive by wire. You can turn off all the transmission trouble codes and abuse modes on the computer for the manual transmission you are using.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Are you installing the 5.3 with the matching wire harness and drive by wire stuff?

Or are you keep it drive by cable?

The segment swap really isn't going to work that well going from auto to manual, it works better when it's 60e to 80e or vise versa.

They did sell the 6.0 trucks with a manual up until 2004 or 2006 I thought but they are still drive by wire. So if you were DBW you could have the computer flashed with a dealership tool to a 6.0 manual file, then just copy paste the 5.3 engine information into that computer.

If you are keeping it drive by cable it's probably better to flash the computer with a calibration from a express/savanna van as those used a P59 computer with drive by cable up to around 2005 before switching over to drive by wire. You can turn off all the transmission trouble codes and abuse modes on the computer for the manual transmission you are using.
    Yes, it?s going to be DBW also. Will most dealers be willing to flash the PCM? (For a fee of course) What happens if I go into HPTuners and just change it to manual transmission? Does that do anything?

Tuner in Training
    Now that I think about it, can I just take my 4.3 PCM and copy & paste the 5.3 info onto that? Or will that require a bunch of credits?

If it's going to be DBW make sure everything matches. The throttle body, tac module and pedal assembly need to all match, so they all come from that 2004, it would all work together no problem.

Changing the drop down to manual does nothing, it could cause a weird background issue though so I never change it.

The 4.3 computer would have to be completely flashed over, you can't copy/paste. So having it flashed with the base file you wish to start tuning with is ideal, it also means less credits wasted.

If you had a VIN number for them, a dealership should be able to flash the file into the computer for whatever the cost is. Or maybe there is a local person near you that does this stuff, like a tuning shop or someone on a car forum/facebook type thing.

Here is a 2004 VIN number with a manual transmission.

1GCEC14V04Z319909

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So I can take that VIN you gave me and have the info for that vin flashed onto the junkyard PCM by the dealer? I just need to give them the vin?

Yeah that VIN would be all they need, they'd look up the calibration/file based on that VIN.

You can call a dealership or just go into the service department and ask them in person if they do that stuff. They should because it's just money in their pocket for a simple thing. Or find a local shop that has access to a GM Tool with the proper login in stuff to a flash factory calibration files.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. I think I know some guys that can do that. I certainly appreciate the help. I?m learning!

Tuner in Training
    I have two purchase options on an ECU to purchase for flashing. One is a #12586243, the other is #12586242. Is there a difference, and should I choose one over the other? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AngryBear; 12-06-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typing error

Use whichever Service Number matches the VIN/OS you are planning to use.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Use whichever Service Number matches the VIN/OS you are planning to use.
    How do I find out which OS number it should be? All I have is the VIN that I need flashed onto the ECU. VIN is 1GCEC14V04Z319909. Sorry if these are stupid questions, I?m very new to this. But I appreciate the help.

http://www.vin-decoder.org/details?v...EC14V04Z319909

So go look up which Service Number works with that year/make/model/engine/trans/whatever else might affect it. Most online parts catalogs don't do lookups directly from the VIN, you have to know first what to sort by.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    http://www.vin-decoder.org/details?v...EC14V04Z319909

So go look up which Service Number works with that year/make/model/engine/trans/whatever else might affect it. Most online parts catalogs don't do lookups directly from the VIN, you have to know first what to sort by.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896
    Ok. I?ll give that a shot. But I wonder, will it really matter since once the PCM is flashed I?ll have to do a segment swap to flash it from a 4.8 to a 5.3? Regardless of the OS, I just need to copy the segment from a matching OS, correct?

Regardless, it looks like 6242 is the one I?m after. Thank you
    Last edited by AngryBear; 12-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.

The OS #12586243 is a P59 computer operating system, so that would work if you used that to flash that other VIN into it.

You mainly just need to make sure it's a P59 computer so it supports drive by wire in that 2005 truck.

Tuner in Training
    The OS #12586243 is a P59 computer operating system, so that would work if you used that to flash that other VIN into it.

You mainly just need to make sure it's a P59 computer so it supports drive by wire in that 2005 truck.
    Ok. Makes sense. Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    When doing a segment swap, (I?m going from 4.8 to 5.3) which segments should I change? Obviously not the trans stuff, but what about System or Fuel System? I assume Engine and Engine Diagnostic is required.

Potential Tuner
    If it's going to be DBW make sure everything matches. The throttle body, tac module and pedal assembly need to all match, so they all come from that 2004, it would all work together no problem.

Changing the drop down to manual does nothing, it could cause a weird background issue though so I never change it.

The 4.3 computer would have to be completely flashed over, you can't copy/paste. So having it flashed with the base file you wish to start tuning with is ideal, it also means less credits wasted.

If you had a VIN number for them, a dealership should be able to flash the file into the computer for whatever the cost is. Or maybe there is a local person near you that does this stuff, like a tuning shop or someone on a car forum/facebook type thing.

Here is a 2004 VIN number with a manual transmission.

1GCEC14V04Z319909
    Can i use this vin also for a 2003 silverado? I swapped from a 4.3 to 5.3 and i currently have the nv3500 manual tranny and will be using my 4.3 ecm.. my friend does have HP tuners program. Could he flash the computer for me? Or do i still need to take my ecm to the dealership with the vin you provided?

Quote Originally Posted by Jairob View Post
    Can i use this vin also for a 2003 silverado? I swapped from a 4.3 to 5.3 and i currently have the nv3500 manual tranny and will be using my 4.3 ecm.. my friend does have HP tuners program. Could he flash the computer for me? Or do i still need to take my ecm to the dealership with the vin you provided?
    Just swapping the VIN won't change the software. You would need it dealer programmed. Or someone with SPS/Techline Connect. That will program the ENTIRE PCM with all the software "stuff" that isn't inputted by HP tuners. HP Tuners is more toward modifying the software you have rather than taking a blank module and programming it to a specific vehicle. As for using that VIN yes you could program as many PCM/ECM's you want with the same VIN. However each module will require the credits to be paid individually for each module. Oh and late model stuff needs the module messed with to unlock the factory chips and software so it can be modified.

1GCEC14V04Z319909 means 2004. The 10th digit is the year.

If you want to use GM software to program it as a 2003, you need to find a valid 2003 VIN from a real vehicle that GM actually built and has in their records.