Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.3 to 5.3 swap

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Just swapping the VIN won't change the software. You would need it dealer programmed. Or someone with SPS/Techline Connect. That will program the ENTIRE PCM with all the software "stuff" that isn't inputted by HP tuners. HP Tuners is more toward modifying the software you have rather than taking a blank module and programming it to a specific vehicle. As for using that VIN yes you could program as many PCM/ECM's you want with the same VIN. However each module will require the credits to be paid individually for each module. Oh and late model stuff needs the module messed with to unlock the factory chips and software so it can be modified.
    Since 2003 silverado single cabs didnt come with the 5.3 and manual will my ecm still be able to be programmed?

The computer could still be flashed to a 4.8/M5 truck VIN number, then you'd just have to copy 5.3 data into the tune. Would be really simple to do that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I know this isn't exactly a definitive source but it's quick and easy, RockAuto shows a manual trans for 2003 Silverado for both 4.8 & 5.3 (though not for 6.0). No '03 manual files for any engine in the repository to steal a valid VIN from.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/....3l+v8,1412086

Here is a little "thing" I do. I have Techline Connect, SPS, GDS2, etc. I get to factory program anything I want. That being said what I do is go onto vehicle for sale sites and search for what you want. X vehicle with X transmission with X engine with X fed or Kalifornia emissions. Most will have the VIN because everyone wants to carfax etc. Use that as a VIN and bam. You're half way there.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If it's going to be DBW make sure everything matches. The throttle body, tac module and pedal assembly need to all match, so they all come from that 2004, it would all work together no problem.

Changing the drop down to manual does nothing, it could cause a weird background issue though so I never change it.

The 4.3 computer would have to be completely flashed over, you can't copy/paste. So having it flashed with the base file you wish to start tuning with is ideal, it also means less credits wasted.

If you had a VIN number for them, a dealership should be able to flash the file into the computer for whatever the cost is. Or maybe there is a local person near you that does this stuff, like a tuning shop or someone on a car forum/facebook type thing.

Here is a 2004 VIN number with a manual transmission.

1GCEC14V04Z319909

I am curious to know where you got that VIN number. That truck used to belong to me (I'm the original owner) and I'm trying to track it down. Do I know you? I'm in Maple Grove.