Thread: Sanity Check Before Boosting My 2006 LS2 GTO

Tuner in Training

Sanity Check Before Boosting My 2006 LS2 GTO

I have done a lot of learning thru tuning my NA Goat but now its time to turn up the heat so to speak. This will be my first attempt at boosted tuning too. I need answers to a few questions and a sanity check on my process. I will be limiting boost to 5 psi (big pulley) until I get the tune and basic operation all sorted out but do not plan to go above 8 psi (smaller pulley) for my daily driver.

My Plan:

Before installing the Procharger
    1. Install my new DW60 injectors, new DW340 fuel pump and new 12615136 2-bar MAP sensor (Can the OEM OS handle the 2-bar sensor?)
    2. Do some basic re-tuning to make sure the above changes don't screw anything up before I install the Procharger

Install the Procharger
    1. Re-Tune using the OEM OS using MAF flows, my calculations indicate that limiting boost to 5 PSI should not max out the stock MAF
    2. Now upgrade to the 2-Bar OS. (Can I still tune with MAF flow or am I forced to go SD tune?) I need to keep the MAF tuning so I can pass North Carolina yearly emissions since going SD will throw failing codes.
    3. Once the above is all sorted out I will tune to 5 PSI in SD mode.
    4. If all is well now I will install the smaller pulley for 8PSI and finish filling in the VE tables. This will likely max out the MAF and force me to full time SD tune (If MAF tuning is permitted with the 2-bar OS I will turn that switch once a year to pass emissions and then go back to SD?) keeping my foot out of boost for that day obviously...LOL
    5. After the above is all sorted out I will likely go to a boost reference regulator and incorporate the return flow system

I'm sure most of you experience tuners would do this in only one step but I like doing these kinds of things in a controlled process because if something goes wrong I'll know what it was and can fix it without undoing multiple steps.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Yes, the stock OS can use the 2 bar MAP sensor. That part doesn't really matter, it only cares that the linear and offset settings are correct for the sensor it's running, so any 1,2 or 3 bar sensor can be used.

The 2 bar OS upgrade will still allow the MAF to be fully functional, you can keep using the MAF if you wish. The 2 bar OS is just adding parts to the stock OS like the boost VE and the boost enrichment for example.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    That's great, sounds like I can follow the plan.....then it's only a matter of execution.

Thanks for the fast response.

I would do the 2-bar OS first. After you change you can't use any of your previous files if you're hunting down a problem, best to get that out of the way now.

Tuner in Training
    Am I to assume that you can't reverse the 2 bar os?

Sure you can, but you have to do a write-entire with one of your old files that doesn't have the custom OS applied. Don't do a write-entire unless you have to, it's more risky than a normal write-calibration-only. But it's no problem to go back. I don't know why you would need to though, bone stock it'll run just like bone stock with the 2-bar OS.

Tuner in Training
    OK, I think I will convert to the 2 Bar first then. Seems to make sense to get that out of the way from the start.

When you apply the 2 bar os, it automatically changes the MAP sensor data. Make sure you install the new sensor or change the Map sensor data back to stock if you plan on running the stock one for a while.. The 2 bar GM sensor is 200.00/66/8 in the data area.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Lakegoat. Went ahead and installed the 2 bar sensor at the same time as I loaded the 2 bar OS. Everything went smoothly. Did 2 scans before and after, one with the engine off and one with the engine idling to verify the new MAP was reading the same as the old MAP.

Advanced Tuner
    E40 isn’t exactly perfect.

Start by copying your 105 line in the VE into the 105 line in the Boost VE. Go to the last line of the boost VE and copy the same data in. Then multiply it by 25%. Then interpolate the data to populate the table. Also edit your spark tables so they’re suited to boost. Log, gather data and calibrate from there

Potential Tuner
    Lukearmstrong

Does that same idea work for my e38 ECM? Id like to try out my tune on an open loop

yes 4.8