Thread: Long tube headers and obd2 monitors Hellcat

Long tube headers and obd2 monitors Hellcat

2015 Hellcat. Is there a way to get the oxygen sensor and catalyst monitors to "ready" with long tubes? P0133, P0153, P0420, P0430 are the codes. If I uncheck both MIL and SES enable boxes the codes obviously don't set, but the obd2 monitors for o2 sensors and catalyst read "not supported" which doesn't pass. If I leave just the ses enable checked, it stills sets these codes just no light on the dash. I have changed the transport delay tables to try and solve the P0133, P0153 with no luck. If anyone knows any tricks for this it would really help.

Hellcat2.75longtubes_cal.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    If you are not running high flow cats then it will be difficult to get the monitors to complete. I have heard of guys running these

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/

but I don't personally know if this alone allows the monitors to pass.

Are you running the oxygen sensor extenders? Vibrant I know makes sets that have been helpful in helping eliminate CEL and codes.

I installed a set of the big daddy's garage o2 foolers. They seem to be working for the cat codes. The P0153 and P0133 front o2 response codes still pop back on after 10 minutes of driving though. Not sure what else to change other than the transport delay tables?

Potential Tuner
    I know this is old but did you ever figure your p0153 code out? I dealing with that issue now.

I believe I can help all of you here. Here it is. From my experience, when you install headers you must multiply the o2 transport delay tables by 150% You cannot simply turn off those 0133 or 0153 codes or o2 will become unsupported for emissions. You can uncheck the Mil box on them yes but not ses box. That will result in the code if thrown to not illuminate the dash light only. It will still be a MIL.

Next lets talk about regular cats and high flow cats. Consider idle on factory cats vs high flow cats. Downstream o2 will read generally 0.650-0.710 range for each bank on a factory cat. For a highflow cat, they will read 0.020-0.060 range. Why? Factory cats are restrictive, second combustion is happening inside the cats efficiently, and voltage reads high. Remember we are at idle still. High flow cats, allow movement of lots of air which we want, but we want to pass emissions at the same time. You have no choice but to defoul the downstream o2s. Drill a 7/16 bit to open the hole of the defouler but not to the actual much smaller opening of the defouler. Only to allow your Dodge o2 fit inside it without causing physical damage to the o2. For added benefit, cut a small enough bit of steel wool from a kitchen cleaning scratch pad to add into the defouler. Pack it in there. Done with o2s.

Next, in your tune you may disable p0430 altogether without fear of making catalyst unsupported. If you do this to p0420 then it will be unsupported so leave bank1 alone. Yes I earlier spoke of defouling both sides. Think on rear closed loop fueling, don't want to have trims go bonkers. Cant disable that either or cat test will be supported but never run. Do the same work for both sides to keep trims in line.

Bonus, disable p0456 and p0457 ONLY in evap area to make it instantly complete. Works for many cars but does not in a 2019 Charger Scat. Try it! Your experience may differ.

Ok you're reading along and you don't have o2 transport delay because you have a 2009 Challenger with long tubes for example. You have o2 slow response codes. Inspect upstream o2 for damage. Do not ever under any circumstances cut and solder an o2 cable! Throw it in the trash if you did. Get o2 extenders to allow fitment of a new sensor. Dont ever drop an o2 either, will break the heater element inside which is glass oddly enough.

Go pass emissions, and do a burnout in front of my house please and thank you. Oh passing cat test is simply 38mph between 1350-1850 rpm, 4 gear usually for 2 mins, if interruped, just resume test criteria when safely able to. OR you can drive at 55mph for 8 mins cruising, then stop, let idle for 3 mins, then shut off. Turn key back on and should be complete among other tests too.

If you still have issues after this, I'll presume you have a good running engine and just say double defouling on bank1 is your answer. Hope you have room!
    Last edited by drumnbasslvr; 06-27-2021 at 11:21 AM.