Thread: MED17.1 Re-licensing Issue

MED17.1 Re-licensing Issue

Hey all,

Due to some issue I've notice with scanning, I've identified that a good portion of ECUs out there were being misidentified. The primary affected vehicles are 2.0T vehicles that utilize the MED17.1 controller (A4/A5/Q5, etc...)
    In this case, due to it misidentifying, you may encounter a situation where it will now correctly identify and think you are no longer licensed.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to fix these existing licenses, so if you encounter the following:
    - You have licensed your vehicle to your MPVI2 previously
    - It now states you are unlicensed

You will need to be compensated 6 credits for this scenario so that you can relicense the vehicle with proper identification.
    In order to get this, take an Infolog (What is an Infolog?) while connected to your vehicle with the MPVI2 you're using and contact us at [email protected].

After verifying that you're affected, we can compensate you for these extra credits on your next re-sync.

After you receive your credits, RE-READ your vehicle to make sure that you apply them to a now properly identified file.

Sorry for the inconvenience, happy tuning!
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Tuner
    Steven,

Thanks for letting us know about this!

How can I tell if I'm affected by the issue? I do have one of the cars in question ('12 A4 2.0t).

Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    Steven,

Thanks for letting us know about this!

How can I tell if I'm affected by the issue? I do have one of the cars in question ('12 A4 2.0t).
    You'll be aware if you update to a newer version of the software and it suddenly decides you're no longer licensed. I expect it to popup as more people update. The amount of people affected is hopefully low, but its non-zero, so I figured I'd make a post so people are aware.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Tuner in Training
    Why not just roll back the update so we can continue with our work while you guys figure out the corrective action on this. Contacting support is fine for someone like me that only does a few now and then, but for large volume shops, this sounds like a nightmare if they have to do this to every pcm they have worked on (unless I'm reading that incorrectly.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroSS View Post
    Why not just roll back the update so we can continue with our work while you guys figure out the corrective action on this. Contacting support is fine for someone like me that only does a few now and then, but for large volume shops, this sounds like a nightmare if they have to do this to every pcm they have worked on (unless I'm reading that incorrectly.
    Unfortunately the corrective action in this case is to issue credits so you can license the vehicle as it was intended. The original license was faulty.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    For anyone that's interested, I encountered this issue just now when I tried to flash my car back to the factory tune to troubleshoot a problem with how the engine was running. I was able to get around it by uninstalling the current beta of VCM suite and installing a slightly older version I'd saved (version 4.5.1034). It would not perform the "restore to factory" function (or whatever it's called) but I could flash the unmodified file I'd grabbed from the car before I started tuning.

I have a 2012 a7 3.0t and 2013 s4 3.0t and multiple other vehicles licenses on my device. I believe I am effected by this. non of my tunes will open and an error message pops up saying definition can not load. and that I can not edit these files. am I going to have to re license all the vehicles? this cost me a huge headache today as I was trying to tune and kept thinking the issue was on my end. waisted big part of my tuning window.

update.... I uninstalled vcm editor and reinstalled it and now everything works again. sorry for the rant yesterday. have a great day

Tuner
    Hey to anyone affected by this issue, be careful what you do when you receive your new credits!

I'm one of those affected, got new credits from HP, and resynced my MPVI2. I made some tweaks to my "working" file (read from the car about 2 months ago and edited many times since), and on my desktop PC tried to "flash" it to see what would happen. As I expected it said the file was not licensed, so I applied the credits to it. When I went to flash it to the car, I got a message saying "operating system IDs are different" and it would not flash. So I figured I'd reread the tune from the car (which I'd previously flashed back to stock), copy my changes to it, and flash that file. But when I tried that, it said the new file was not licensed.

I've opened a ticket with support, hoping this can get straightened out. But if you're one of those affected by this issue, I'd suggest proceeding with caution, as it looks like I might have botched my replacement credits by using them to license a file that's unusable.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroSS View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say there are no large volume Audi/VW HPT tuning shops out there yet. Its still somewhat new to HPT and files are not very prevalent outside of the B8 A4

Tuner
    Hey just to circle back on my tale of woe posted above... it turns out there was a glitch in VCM editor. Support told me to download the newest beta, I did so, and I just successfully flashed the car with my old file.

I just tried to flash my B8.5 A5 and it said I don?t have the license, but I did. It just sucks that this was going to be the first flash on an Audi for me. I opened a ticket hopefully they get to it quickly.

Tuner in Training
    The med17.1 (possibly med17.2) is what is running in my x5 50i 4.4l v8 tt. Since your already into these Bosch units why not open up this beautiful software to bmw. You've already broke through the wall!