Thread: MPVi2 intermittantly stopped working

Advanced Tuner

MPVi2 intermittantly stopped working

My MPVi2 is 4months old and it has intermittently had difficulty connecting to the PCM, the PC appears to connect to the interface but will not write to the pcm or operate the scanner, disconnect it until it cools then it works.
    My question is has anybody else experienced this problem?

The interface seems to be quiet warm when operating much warmer than the MPVI. The problem is intermittent and appears to be heat related because if you wait till it cools down it works. I measured the cold interface temperature at room temperature of 77 deg F.... after it has been operating (connected to a pcm and laptop) for say 30 minutes the temperature of the interface is 95 deg F can anybody tell me if this is normal?

Thanks in advance
    Tune with actual data not simulated data!.....Applied Road/track Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    have you opened a ticket with support?
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Advanced Tuner
    The problem occurred in the workshop driveway and I was too busy trying to get the vehicle going again to note the message that came up which went something like this "unable to connect to the PCM ...or...the tune operating system may not be compatible with HP Tuners"

I am located in Australia and if I send it back to the Australian distributor in all fairness given it appears to be intermittent they will check it and probably advise they could not fault it and send it back to me. I initially wanted to see if others were having a similar problem. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to wait and see if it happens again and then note the details so I can then open a ticket.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    The problem occurred in the workshop driveway and I was too busy trying to get the vehicle going again to note the message that came up which went something like this "unable to connect to the PCM ...or...the tune operating system may not be compatible with HP Tuners"

I am located in Australia and if I send it back to the Australian distributor in all fairness given it appears to be intermittent they will check it and probably advise they could not fault it and send it back to me. I initially wanted to see if others were having a similar problem. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to wait and see if it happens again and then note the details so I can then open a ticket.

I had one that just died for no reason, exact same issues you are having pretty much. i upgraded my mpvi1 through vcm in knoxfield. (im also in AUS)
    they replaced it once i had been through diagnostics with the engineers in states and put it down to a faulty unit. so they can just die, my first one only lasted 2 months and all i can put the failure down to was a firmware update running on the unit.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    I had one that just died for no reason, exact same issues you are having pretty much. i upgraded my mpvi1 through vcm in knoxfield. (im also in AUS)
    they replaced it once i had been through diagnostics with the engineers in states and put it down to a faulty unit. so they can just die, my first one only lasted 2 months and all i can put the failure down to was a firmware update running on the unit.
    Hmmm! interesting, thanks for taking the time to respond. I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. did you notice any difference in the operating temperature of the interface from the one that failed and your replacement one you are currently using?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Yortt View Post
    Hmmm! interesting, thanks for taking the time to respond. I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. did you notice any difference in the operating temperature of the interface from the one that failed and your replacement one you are currently using?
    i didnt notice any difference with operating temps with mine, but i wasnt really paying to much attention to be honest.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    i didnt notice any difference with operating temps with mine, but i wasnt really paying to much attention to be honest.
    OK thanks.