Thread: ZF8 Trans adaptives

Advanced Tuner

ZF8 Trans adaptives

On the zf8, has anyone played with resetting the trans adaptives and trying to do a relearn using the scanner?

Don't want to open a can of worms here unless I can get the lid back on as this is my daily driver.
    Last edited by spoolboy; 12-06-2019 at 05:40 AM.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Advanced Tuner
    Long story, but the end result is I'm having a hard time commanding a proper first gear shift point without flair, but my car is weird with the 3.70 gears.

I'm new to tuning the ZF8, but what I've done is basically write around as many of possible scenarios as I can in the cal so they are matching, or close to matching. For example move the shift pressures from what's labeled "Sport" in the cal to "normal" and "perf" and "max". This would (should) take that type of adaptation out and make things more consistent. You could also play with the transmission torque management settings a bit to pull a bit more on the 1-2 shift in the mode(s) you're having the issue and insure your torque management timing table allows the amount of torque to be pulled that you're commanding.

You may have tried all that and I'm not answering your question, but I've never liked trying to pull fuses to reset adaptives only to have them re-learn and come back.

Advanced Tuner
    Here's another question. Does flashing the TCM reset adaptives? I'm assuming no.

Banned
    On the 68RFE it sure does reset adaptive settings, every time the ecm is reflashed it resets all trans adaptive settings and treats it as if it?s a ?new? transmission and in Chrysler?s manual it says a quick learn must be done.

Advanced Tuner
    Flashing the zf8 does not appear to reset adaptives. Hence the need for a special function to reset adaptives.

Banned
    TCM separate from the ECM?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes.

Banned
    Ah ok, I would think it would still reset the adaptives when flashing the TCM. I don?t know anything about the ZF8 though. The 68RFE is in the same ECM on the Rams from 2010 and up so all the adaptives get reset every time the truck is flashed.

Tuner in Training
    I reset Tcm adaptives with a tazer before first hit at the track. Not sure how you see it in the the tune. I’m assuming you swapped your 3.09s for 3.70s. The trans mode from drive to paddle shift drive changes first gear WOT shift point. I could see having a shift timing problem with lower gears hitting rev limiter in paddle shift drive mode 1st gear.
    2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8-oem stock