Thread: 2008 Silverado 6.0 swap

Tuner in Training

2008 Silverado 6.0 swap

2008 Silverado 5.3/4l60e the engine had failure due to lifter eating lobe off cam . Wanting to go back with a 6.0 . Looking for any pointer as to the best year model 6.0 that would be most compatible swap and any pointers like if the pcm would have to be segment swapped of if any custom harnesses would be needed . I?ve tuned trucks but never been involved in a swap .

Any 6.0 from a GEN 4 truck. So like a LY6 or L96 I believe. Either of those should be found in the heavy duty 2500/3500 trucks or vans.

Those would be plug and play expect for the VVT as your 2008 never came with VVT. It could be wired into the computer I believe.

Then you'd have to go in and do a much of changes to copy over the 6.0 data into the 5.3 tune file. Don't think the segment swap is going to work for you on the newer computers.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info . Could the VVT be left disconnected or would if have to have a non vvt cam installed ?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathan601 View Post
    Thanks for the info . Could the VVT be left disconnected or would if have to have a non vvt cam installed ?
    You could certainly install a non VVT cam. We do that pretty often.