Thread: MPVI with VCM Suite from the beginning

Potential Tuner

MPVI with VCM Suite from the beginning

newb as hell here, some experience with SCT and Cortex tuners, uploading canned tunes to a couple of vehicles in the past, but none with HPT.

I recently fell in love with the turbocharged LNF in the HHR SS and have gotten a couple of them. One is already tuned (GM Stage 1 Tune) but the other is not yet.
    I have the upgraded MAP sensors that I will need and am planning another "buy and upload a tune" kind of deal.

I bought a used MPVI with cables, but that is all it came with. Connected USB to my PC and got drivers loaded so the device is seen correctly in Device Manager.
    However, I cannot seem to get the VCM Suite to install.

I download the current version (4.4.4.0?) and run it.
    Everything seems to go OK at the beginning, but no matter what drive I choose to install to, it gets to a point where it wants to create a folder structure under G:\Documents\HP Tuners
    The error is: "An error occurred while attempting to create the directory G:\Documents\HP Tuners"

I even tried creating the folders for it, and it still fails.

What am I missing here? I know I will have to buy credits to upload tunes, but shouldn't I be able to access the MPVI and check firmware level and look at settings and so forth?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
    I assume I will also be needing to log some stuff for fine-tuning and so forth. I have a laptop I will bring home to use eventually. But I thought I could at least install on my desktop first.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    what version of windows?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    what version of windows?
    Sorry, Windows 10 Professional
    Device manager shows A and B channels with no problem, so drivers are good.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    Sorry, Windows 10 Professional
    Device manager shows A and B channels with no problem, so drivers are good.
    Weird, I would suggest reloading windows 10 fresh & try again, I don't think I've ever seen that issue and all we use is win 10 on our test machines.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    ...it gets to a point where it wants to create a folder structure under G:\Documents\HP Tuners
    The error is: "An error occurred while attempting to create the directory G:\Documents\HP Tuners"
    G: drive? Windows 10? It should be saving in "C:\users\%username%\Documents". Do you know how to check system variables? Is your operating system installed on the C: drive?
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post
    G: drive? Windows 10? It should be saving in "C:\users\%username%\Documents". Do you know how to check system variables? Is your operating system installed on the C: drive?
    Yes, nearly 40 years in IT so I am pretty comfortable with the troubleshooting process.

Finally figured it out. Problem comes from a new security feature in W10 from the April update called Controlled Folder Access.

Open the Windows Start menu, start typing controlled folder access and click the result when it appears (black shield icon).
    Turn the feature off. Answer yes to any security messages.
    Retry the installation.
    Success!

Then you can turn the feature back on (because it is a GOOD idea!)

HPT may want to add that to their knowledgebase.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, nearly 40 years in IT so I am pretty comfortable with the troubleshooting process.

Finally figured it out. Problem comes from a new security feature in W10 from the April update called Controlled Folder Access.

Open the Windows Start menu, start typing controlled folder access and click the result when it appears (black shield icon).
    Retry the installation.
    Success!

20 years IT experience here also! LOL!

Great! Glad you got it figured out...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

thank you this fixed my problem too... win10 user

Retry the installation.
    Success!

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by fixit; 01-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Potential Tuner

Retry the installation.
    Success!

You're my hero! but I found it in settings. windows 10 doesn't really have a start menu.