Thread: 03 Saleen, Custom, SCT tuner, where/how/who factory tune back in it - More info with

03 Saleen, Custom, SCT tuner, where/how/who factory tune back in it - More info with

Car: 2003 Saleen Mustang, 26k miles, swapped 5.0L Ford Racing stroker block, custom cam, trick flow heads, Kook's exhaust with Magnaflow's, 39lb inj, Keene Belle SC, water intercooled, 5 speed, 4:10's, SCT #3000 tuner with 3 custom dyno tunes from another shop.

So the tune has no OS in it. HP support relayed info that it needs to be reflashed by dealer to factory then i can go in and work the tune from there. I've called multiple Ford dealers (Oregon, WA and ID) and Saleen. Ford won't flash it and Saleen no longer supports anything from 99-04. Can someone point me to where i can get this thing flashed or a shop that has the capabilities to flash and tune it etc? Somewhere i can send the ECM or purchase another for the car would also work. Other options?

Thanks2003 mustang saleen SC, 5.0, sct tune.hpt

Best to get new ECU and start with a fresh tune.

Covert1. Im not sure I follow. I opened the file you attached no issue. shows OS info and everything. Are you needing help tuning the car in with hpt? Did you just add all the mods to it or is that how the car was setup already?

Quote Originally Posted by AJennings View Post
    Covert1. Im not sure I follow. I opened the file you attached no issue. shows OS info and everything. Are you needing help tuning the car in with hpt? Did you just add all the mods to it or is that how the car was setup already?
    Ajennings that is how the car was setup already. The tune that was put in with the sct tuner is to lean everywhere but WOT. I need to go in and fix the rest of it. When i open the tune in my HP there is no OS just a blank page. I've read it 3 times with the same result, tried programming different tunes all with the same result.

I just clicked and opened the upload file and didn't see any OS?

Ive tuned a few 2v. and when you click the OS next to engine, none of them show any info. When you click the paper with the blue I it shows the info. Are you using latest beta?

Advanced Tuner
    shoot me a message and we can get it squared away no problem
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Sorry for the late reply been adding onto the shop and working crazy hours. I'll have to double check but pretty sure it's the latest version. I see the info under the tune details tab and it looks all good their. Tech support is who said to i would need to get it flashed stock and retune. Haven't done it yet but i'm tempted to try and tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJennings View Post
    Ive tuned a few 2v. and when you click the OS next to engine, none of them show any info. When you click the paper with the blue I it shows the info. Are you using latest beta?
    Sorry for the late reply been adding onto the shop and working crazy hours. I'll have to double check but pretty sure it's the latest version. I see the info under the tune details tab and it looks all good their. Tech support is who said to i would need to get it flashed stock and retune. Haven't done it yet but i'm tempted to try and tune it.

Tuner in Training
    No reason that calibration won't work. Although it has been scaled around 50% which is a ton. Loading the ba3000 in sct doesn't scale anything in the calibration other than the Maf. Do you have the SCT device that was used??

Quote Originally Posted by Aking719 View Post
    No reason that calibration won't work. Although it has been scaled around 50% which is a ton. Loading the ba3000 in sct doesn't scale anything in the calibration other than the Maf. Do you have the SCT device that was used??
    Yes i have it. It's a #3000 hand held programmer. Older model with 3 custom dyno tunes in it. Ran the car with all 3 different tunes and same problems with them all as far as tuning goes. The owner has tried contacting the guy that tuned it but he won't return his call or mine.

Tuner in Training
    Then, return it to stock and re-read the pcm and compare. Do you not have SCT software?

The tune you posted along with the list of things that the car has modfified.....Needs injectors for sure. But, other than that, you can calibrate off the file you read.

Then, return it to stock and re-read the pcm and compare. Do you not have SCT software?

The tune you posted along with the list of things that the car has modfified.....Needs injectors for sure. But, other than that, you can calibrate off the file you read.
    When i return it to stock and then read with HP it comes back validate checksum failed and then failed to load. That's what i sent to support that they told me i needed to have reflashed with factory program and then retune. Ford dealer won't do it With an AFR gauge connected the car sits at about 15.## at idle and then goes lean as you accelerate until about 2/3 throttle or pin it and then it hold 12.1-12.3 AFR up to 6k so not sure the injectors are needed, between starting to accelerate and 2/3 throttle AFR drops lean as high as 18.3 i've seen instead of moving to a richer mixture. I have the Advantage 3 and livelink on my pc i downloaded last week but it's my first dealing with SCT software. I haven't purchased the dongle for $349 from them yet to use on the car for tuning as i was hoping to use the HP to do it because that's what i'm use to using.

Can i just simply buy the 2 credits for the HP and then tune the tuned file from SCT and write it? I haven't done it because i was afraid i might brick the ecm.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, buy the credits and tune it with HP. I don't like the fact someone scaled it so much. Like they were reaching for a band aid instead of actually fixing the issue.

The original file I imagine is the Saleen flash. SCT has them open but, you cant modify the templates. Normally, they will send you the saleen flash laid over the original strategy.

Yes, buy the credits and tune it with HP. I don't like the fact someone scaled it so much. Like they were reaching for a band aid instead of actually fixing the issue.

The original file I imagine is the Saleen flash. SCT has them open but, you cant modify the templates. Normally, they will send you the saleen flash laid over the original strategy.
    The car was a 4.6l from saleen, the ecm was changed when the 5.0 stroker went in is my understanding. The owner doesn't really know much and has just a bunch of notes he wrote on paper about the build which baffles me. The shop that tuned it wrecked the car on the test drive and then it spent 2 yrs in the body shop, when he left the body shop he made it about 30 miles before it overheated, took them another year to find the shop towel stuck in the lower radiator hose. After they fixed that it threw a check engine light and was running rough he says, took it to another shop that told him #5 had burned valve and low compression, took it to another shop that sent him to me. I comp tested twice all cyl are 195-210 psi with #5 being the 195 hole. It has a lean pop/stumble with medium throttle applied and shows #5 miss, i changed plugs and swapped a new coil pack on #5 with no change, boroscoped the hole and it looks good with no signs of pre ignition or scoring, soon as you hit the throttle it pulls out of the stumble, drops to 12.3 afr and rockets out. Where am i missing the scaling at in the tune. I see the MAF needs smoothed and calibrated, some idle work needs done and transient. All my tuning has been GM, this is my first Ford.

Tuner in Training
    Why would they have replaced the PCM? Regardless, it has the Saleen flash in it since the hp tuners cant read it. It currently has a stock Ford (RYAF1CZ) strategy loaded in it. (Cache code XSH1)

Also, you need to look at short terms (Long terms are disabled) and make sure they are working. These cars are getting old enough now that the wiring and/or the O2's themselves are garbage. Fuel open Loop TP is still stock so you may be getting into open loop fueling (Power enrichment for you GM guys lol) causing the leaness to clean up.

The engine displacement, Injector high and low slopes and the MAF xfer have all been scaled 50%. The only reason to do that is when you run out of lbs/min (ford limit on this car is 86.99) before 5v at the maf. I can problaby send you a stock saleen file in SCT for that car. If you can open it at least you could compare.

I might can fix the read you posted back to, at least the stock saleen stuff. However, stock saleens make 360 wheel with the 03 cobra (Blue) injectors and stock fuel pump. Its all maxed out from saleen. Any changes and it needs injectors and at bare minimum a BAP.

I would say, FRPP 60lb injectors, the SCT BA3000 MAF (or a MAFia from diablo) and a new fuel pump, TI automotive 400lph, is what it needs right now before you even start. If it were in my shop, that's the first thing I would make the customer add.
    Last edited by Aking719; 02-12-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Why would they have replaced the PCM? Regardless, it has the Saleen flash in it since the hp tuners cant read it. It currently has a stock Ford (RYAF1CZ) strategy loaded in it. (Cache code XSH1)

Also, you need to look at short terms (Long terms are disabled) and make sure they are working. These cars are getting old enough now that the wiring and/or the O2's themselves are garbage. Fuel open Loop TP is still stock so you may be getting into open loop fueling (Power enrichment for you GM guys lol) causing the leaness to clean up.

The engine displacement, Injector high and low slopes and the MAF xfer have all been scaled 50%. The only reason to do that is when you run out of lbs/min (ford limit on this car is 86.99) before 5v at the maf. I can problaby send you a stock saleen file in SCT for that car. If you can open it at least you could compare.

I might can fix the read you posted back to, at least the stock saleen stuff. However, stock saleens make 360 wheel with the 03 cobra (Blue) injectors and stock fuel pump. Its all maxed out from saleen. Any changes and it needs injectors and at bare minimum a BAP.

I would say, FRPP 60lb injectors, the SCT BA3000 MAF (or a MAFia from diablo) and a new fuel pump, TI automotive 400lph, is what it needs right now before you even start. If it were in my shop, that's the first thing I would make the customer add.
    Man having a file to compare would be great if you have one. The car has the SCT BA3000 MAF and 400lph in it already. The fuel pump is wired up direct to ign which i don't care for along with the electric fans. I called the customer and he's bringing me the 60# set of injectors he has at home after lunch today. The 02's were replaced when the exhaust was put on around 5k ago. Here's a short data log.datalog2.csv

Tuner in Training
    You need to log with the sct. Download the livelink from SCT and use the 3000 device. Short terms need to be logged. And there is surely something going on in cylinder 5.

Give me your email and I will send you a base file for the stock Saleen.

You need to log with the sct. Download the livelink from SCT and use the 3000 device. Short terms need to be logged. And there is surely something going on in cylinder 5.

Give me your email and I will send you a base file for the stock Saleen.
    its [email protected]. Thanks

Tuner in Training
    One more thing, give me the serial number off the back of the SCTX3. I will send you the SCT file that you can load then read it with HP.

Well $#!) of course you will. LOL. I already bought the credits, changed a few things i knew would need changed and wrote once to it to see if it would and it did. The Serial is XP0628120E2B4. I tried logging with HP after writing the new tune and the HP scanner software won't read anything, tried syncing and all that didn't help so i'll get the SCT on it and log it when i get the injectors which won't be until tomorrow night. It'll be Fri before i can log anything. Really appreciate the help.