Thread: LM7 5.3 with Mods SWAP into 97 Camaro M6 - Engine Swap Tuning

Potential Tuner

LM7 5.3 with Mods SWAP into 97 Camaro M6 - Engine Swap Tuning

Im currently trying to base tune a 2006 5.3 LM7 With Mods engine SWAP thats going in a 97 Camaro LT1/T56 car. This is all for a tune prior to first startup. New piston rings and cam have to break in.

Swap:
    The LT1 is gone the 2006 LM7 5.3 is built and in the car and mated to the LT1 T56 (swapped bellhousing and midplate and input shaft).
    I put the 5.3 LM7 on an 1999 Camaro LS K member.
    It has a 2000 Camaro LS Engine Harness (C210, C220, C230, C100, C101, C105 repinned for the LT1 Body Harness ).
    Junkyard 2000 Silverado 1500 5.3/A4 ECU P01, has matching 09354896 as came with a stock 2000 Camaro 5.7/M6 car also P01
    All new 2000 Camaro LS sensors, accessories, and oil pan (except for 98 Camaro coolant temp sensor (3wire) to function analog dash gauge too).

Mods:
    2004 Corvette LS6 Intake, Injectors, Fuel Rail, and Throttle Body
    Summit Stage 3 LS Cam - 8708 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8708/
    Texas Speed Performance 1-7/8 Longtube Headers https://www.texas-speed.com/p-291-ts...e-headers.aspx
    Custom Intake Tubing to KN Cone Filter https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...CABEgIiGPD_BwE
    Running D585 Truck coils
    6 Puck Ceramic Sprung Hub Clutch
    Poly motor mounts
    ARP Headstuds
    .660 Dual Valve Springs
    Chromoly Pushrods

Removed:
    No EGR
    No Air Pump
    No Rear O2s
    No Cats has Catless Y pipe
    No ABS
    No A/C Compressor or Condenser
    3 throttle body vacuum lines are capped off, pcv and pass side vent are ran to a filtered oil catch can (Heater T and Brake Booster Vacuums are hooked up)

Ok most of that info might be helpful and some of it might not I dont have much experience with HP tuners but Im learning, ive watched alot of the The Tuning Schools and some of Goat Rope Garages Youtube Vids and taken alot of notes. So here come my questions Ive taken a 2000 Camaro 5.7/M6 Stock tune and Compared it to a 2000 Silverado 5.3/A4 Stock tune. I firstly disbaled CAGs, TCS, the Air Pump, Vats, rear O2s, Cats, Evap System, and EGR.

My questions is what should i modify to make this modded 5.3 run in this 2000 Camaro 5.7/M6 Stock Tune? Im staying away from Spark for a bit, more concerned with MAF/MAP and Fuel tuning. Ive adjusted what i think it would take for a stock 5.3 to run in the camaro 5.7 tune as follows.

So i went through and looked at all the comparisons that changed between the two in the Fuel tab, under Injector Control I read that flow rate vs kpa is pretty important the 5.3 tune runs a flat setting where the camaro runs a variable setting for some reason i think the camaro setting would be better but i entered the 5.3 flat setting of 24.8 should i stick with it or revert back to the camaro setting to start with and modify from there as the base tune? Under cranking fuel I also added the 5.3s prime runtime and 3 lower pulse mass settings didnt think it would matter much. Last on the fuel tab the i set the LTFT enable temp to the 5.3s of 131* shouldnt hurt to enable sooner right?

In Airflow its cable throttle so thats disabled on the camaro tune already, Under Dynamic- Dynamic Airflow and Steady State i chose to stick with the camaro tune there were a few that dealt with the MAP that the 5.3 differed but i didnt swap them over to the 5.3 tune settings, let me know if this is concerning. Under General all i changed was the Main and Secondary VE tables, the Main VE the 5.3 has a stiff shelf at lower rpms with high MAP pressure as the MAP pressure grows im wondering if this is due to the truck intake it came with. I left the gradual Camaro table in there above 4400rpms and modified and smoothed the 5.3 tune below that figured the 5.3 tune below 4400 would be better and then slightly higher 5.7 tune above 4400 would help with the bigger cam in the 5.3. On the secondary i did the same swap to the 5.3 VE tables richness below 4400rpms again and smoothed out the shelf it had as it was concerning me. It could be too rich between 35-85MAP and 400-3600RPMs.

In Idle, under Airflow and Startup I changed the underspeed time to less didnt think it would hurt, and then in General the IAC Steps vs Area and IAC Park Position options on the top left to the 5.3 tune settings. Then Under RPM most of Proportional was changed, and the two Allow RPMs on Derivative.

So this is what i did in my thinkin of making the 5.3 run in a 2000 Camaro M6 tune and application. So With the Bigger cam ill need to add more fuel but as for a start do you think my current tune is adequate or too rich or too lean in spots? With the LS6 intake and injectors should i lower my injector pulse width to like .450 or should i just grab the specs of a 2004 Corvette and swap over the injector and intake related tune settings? With the motor mounts clutch and valvetrain components am i gonna need to worry about fake knock signals when i add timing in the future? I still have a few more videos to watch and threads to read but where is the best place to start with my setup for fuel tuning? I have a AEM Wideband 30-0300 i plan on installing in one of the rear o2 bungs to help with data logging. Basically im looking for tips and a look over to make sure im not gonna hurt anything before i start up the beast, i havent found any real info on tuning for a 5.3 swap into a cable driven Camaro with a M6 with an intake and cam. Any help is appreciated very much.
    6 Puck Ceramic Sprung Hub Clutch
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'd not make so many changes all at once, be more methodical and deliberate. Change one thing at a time. And I don't see in a quick read above that you deleted VATS - Vehicle Anti Theft System.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
    I'd not make so many changes all at once, be more methodical and deliberate. Change one thing at a time. And I don't see in a quick read above that you deleted VATS - Vehicle Anti Theft System.

Rick
    VATS is disabled i just forgot to say that too. Im making changes that i think will help setup the Camaro PCM tune for the 5.3 Imagine my car came with an LS1 5.7 and im switching it over to a 5.3 LM7 although mines modded Cam and Intake along with its Injectors. All im really doing is swappin the few differences in the fueling tune of the Silverado 5.3 over to the Camaro 5.7 Some Settings im keepin with the Camaro tune because i think those few settings are different based on the truck intake being catered to Torque and not Hp like the car manifolds are. What im hoping to achieve is a Camaro Car manifold tune for a 5.3 that i can start the car on and tweak from there i would rather be richer than leaner being its a high lift stage 3 cam. The 5.3 is richer on the bottom end of rpms but the 5.7 is richer on the top end, im guessing because of the truck intake designed for bottom end torque.

What im trying to get at is i want someone to tell me based on the comparison file of the silverado to camaro what i should be swapping over from the truck to car tune to get the 5.3 running decently and what of those differences highlighted in the comparison that i can neglect and keep the stock Camaro 5.7 settings.

If you use the LS6 injector, you must use LS6 injector data. The 5.3 truck injector data will be wrong. Once those settings are changed, you do not touch them again unless you change injectors. Remember these settings are meant for roughly 58psi of fuel pressure too.

The MAF/VE stuff isn't that big of deal, it would have started and ran on either. It's not really possible to predict the best table or create the best table to use, so just starting it is easier.

Start with a truck timing curve, it will have way less timing in it. You don't want to start off going for all the power at 28 degrees of timing. Mirroring the timing curves is also not the best idea either, there is a time and place where it's needed but the low octane timing curve should always have less timing it in because if it knocks it can actually pull timing away.

I also suggest applying the Speed Density Enhanced OS upgrade if you plan to keep it NA. Doing this will remove the secondary VE table, making VE tuning much faster/easier.

Start it, run it, change the oil if you want and just start driving it. It's a roller camshaft, ain't nothing you gotta do to break that in and the piston rings will be mated in about 2 minutes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If you use the LS6 injector, you must use LS6 injector data. The 5.3 truck injector data will be wrong. Once those settings are changed, you do not touch them again unless you change injectors. Remember these settings are meant for roughly 58psi of fuel pressure too.

The MAF/VE stuff isn't that big of deal, it would have started and ran on either. It's not really possible to predict the best table or create the best table to use, so just starting it is easier.

Start with a truck timing curve, it will have way less timing in it. You don't want to start off going for all the power at 28 degrees of timing. Mirroring the timing curves is also not the best idea either, there is a time and place where it's needed but the low octane timing curve should always have less timing it in because if it knocks it can actually pull timing away.

I also suggest applying the Speed Density Enhanced OS upgrade if you plan to keep it NA. Doing this will remove the secondary VE table, making VE tuning much faster/easier.

Start it, run it, change the oil if you want and just start driving it. It's a roller camshaft, ain't nothing you gotta do to break that in and the piston rings will be mated in about 2 minutes.
    Okay that answers that, Ill grab the injector data from a 2004 corvette, i was just lookin at it actually, I remember from one of those youtube videos to not continually change the injector data set it for the injector specs and dont change them unless upgrading. Also ive already upgraded my fuel pump to a Wahlboro 255, my LT1 fuel pump went out on me and i upgraded it then, so id assume its capable of 58psi for the LM7

I dont plan on adjusting timing for a good while I just wanted to rough out a fuel table for a my modded 5.3 to not be lean. So if i plan on a stock timing settings should i still revert to the truck timing over the camaro even if i dont plan on adjusting it?

What year and model has the Speed Density Enhanced OS? Will it fit a P01 PCM?
    Last edited by DirtyManBear; 12-09-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Use the truck timing curve, just copy it over. It's more mild compared to the one you have now. You may also want to cut the under/over speed spark corrections tables in half too, so it can't swing the timing as much with that camshaft.

The OS upgrade is free, it's already on your camaro file. Click the OS tab and it will be right there along with several other upgrades paths that computer could do. Just follow the instructions for applying the OS, it does require a "Write Entire" to make it work, a write calibration only can brick the computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Use the truck timing curve, just copy it over. It's more mild compared to the one you have now. You may also want to cut the under/over speed spark corrections tables in half too, so it can't swing the timing as much with that camshaft.

The OS upgrade is free, it's already on your camaro file. Click the OS tab and it will be right there along with several other upgrades paths that computer could do. Just follow the instructions for applying the OS, it does require a "Write Entire" to make it work, a write calibration only can brick the computer.
    Okay ill look into the OS upgrade and ill also get the truck timing curve and other spark settings copied over. What does the under/over speed spark correction tables do?