Thread: Changing AFR from 14.7 in closed loop ?

Tuner in Training

Changing AFR from 14.7 in closed loop ?

Hi everyone, i want to know if there is a possible way to change the AFR commanded when in closed loop other than 14.7 ?

Tried changing FA stoich and inj pulse and even VE that doesn't seem to be changing anything on my wideband stays around 14.7 when it's in closed loop.

15 JGC 5.7 and 09 Wrangler JK 3.8 same thing on both any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training
    It has narrow-band oxygen sensors, there is no way it can run closed loop at anything but 14.7. Possibly it can be fooled into running tiny tiny deviations (maybe 14.6 or 14.8) but even that I'm somewhat skeptical of. I realize there's a setting for the FA stoic, but you can't just get whatever you want out of it since it's a control loop with a sensor that is only capable of sensing 14.7.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=christensent;593709]It has narrow-band oxygen sensors, there is no way it can run closed loop at anything but 14.7. Possibly it can be fooled into running tiny tiny deviations (maybe 14.6 or 14.8) but even that I'm somewhat skeptical of. I realize there's a setting for the FA stoic, but you can't just get whatever you want out of it since it's a control loop with a sensor that is only capable of sensing 14.7.[/QUOT

So changing the FA Stoic won't change any thing at least on closed loop
    I realized that changing inj pulse acually makes a diffrence with short tirm and long tirm fuel trims like fine tuning but i can acually make the car run 12.5 when off throttle for a backfire tune
    Well thank you for explaining this to me i didn't know that it can't be changed closed loop thanks a lot.

Stoich needs to be set to whatever your fuel is.. been tuning a long time and haven’t seen pure gasoline from a pump in a long time.. saying that I don’t use 14.7 either

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Got you, but what are the disadvantages of running open loop ?
    from what i know that if i traveled to a different geographical area my tune well be screwed and even changes in weather in the area i live in my cause changes to the air fuel ratio is that correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesam_Hitman View Post
    Got you, but what are the disadvantages of running open loop ?
    from what i know that if i traveled to a different geographical area my tune well be screwed and even changes in weather in the area i live in my cause changes to the air fuel ratio is that correct ?
    I ran open loop for quite a long time and had the car running really good. AFR error was always between +/- 1-2%.

It took a lot of time to do this and you really need to run dual widebands (tune both banks) to make it work well.

Having closed loop on makes transients better, but I can still cut it off and drive the car just fine.

I think it is a great idea to tune the car in open loop only and then fine tune it with closed loop on.

Now... I'm am talking about cars running with ANN off and using VE tables. I wouldn't attempt it with ANN on.

Tuner in Training
    Why you wouldn't attempt it with ANN on ?
    I would like to know because my car uses ANN

Tuner in Training
    What if i disabled ANN and used VE what difference will it make for better or worse ?
    Lets say i want to run the car at 15.5 air/fuel ratio and my car uses ANN i'm gonna have to disable o2 sensors to run op loop for it to run 15.5
    but will the ANN system interfere with the inj pulse and give me hard time or even make it impossible tuning it ?
    The car doesn't have a lot of mods
    intake cat-delete cat-back 180 stat catch can and breather