Thread: Idles too low in gear Gen 3 5.3 drive by cable

Potential Tuner

Idles too low in gear Gen 3 5.3 drive by cable

My friend put a cam in his truck so I am working on some minor adjustments.I have the maf cal pretty close and idles great in park at 775 but when i pull it in drive the idle goes to 550 and excessive lean.A light throttle tip and runs smooth at 800.I adjusted the base idle target,maf base running air flow,base spark and yet the in gear idle target will not reach.I will deal with the ve table after the maf.Turned off closed loop,dynamic air flow,dfco,cot and pulled 5 degrees timing across the board.I looked in trans data for idle torq to no avail.All help would be greatly appreciated.Post note iac is at almost zero idling in park.
    Last edited by PHENOMENA; 12-13-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    can you post a tune file and a log of the current operating condition under said tune file?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

You have lots of negative timing, that is not helping you.

Zero out the ECT spark advanced correction in the warm up area's, you don't need it pulling 8 degrees of timing when it's warming up. You can also half the overspeed spark correction table too, you don't really want it to allow up to 30 degrees of timing pull.

Your torque mngt spark redard vs torque reduction is also pulling away tons of timing too, you can lessen that amount or many just disable that feature.

Don't be surprised if you run out of fuel injector when you start doing full throttle tuning, stock injectors are tiny.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info,will report tomorrow.

Potential Tuner
    No luck with changes yet although I noticed that in reverse it seems to do better.I also feel that the converter is too tight in trans.I have another scan from park to reverse to drive.Still have torq timing reduction and very lean to the point of misfire.shane chevy MAF Error4idle timing2.hptshane chevy2.hpl The cam spec is 225/236 duration with .525 lift 110 lobe separation
    Last edited by PHENOMENA; 12-14-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    with that cam change i would try a max idle ignition of 18-20* it should idle on anything between 14-20* no problem though.

I would stick to oem ignition tables. when chasing problems down its a 1 table at a time process until you track all the individual culprits down.
    i would reset the oem traction control parameters to stock since you seem to be triggering traction control retard and a stock file would not do that.
    its ok to reduce the idle over/under speed ignition by a few degrees if your surging. this can bring the surge effect down which is probably what you were trying to do with the initial change i see in there.

so your coolant temp never reached the closed loop threshold so i have to go based on the wideband you have recording.
    in your case it is well off the deep end into the rich side. its oscillating to lean which could be due to cylinder loading issues. a misfire will read lean because the oxygen in the cylinder was not consumed. so when i see the 02 is off the rich side and its spiking lean occasionally i tend to believe it is more than 20% rich.
    the fuel is the critical factor here. while your ignition being retarded is also not helping, the fuel plays a major role in the airflow requests at idle and how it runs in general.

If it was mine i would return the maf calibration to stock. bump the idle rpm to 750-770 like you have, and request the extra air by targeting 9.5 g/s in neutral and 10.5 g/s in gear. i would revert all torque management to stock, and ignition tables to stock with exception to maybe a reduction of the idle over/underspeed tables.
    once its running in neutral consistently i would wait until the coolant temp is over 110*F and check out the cylinder airmass that it is idling at. Now you know where to add idle ignition advance on the idle tables.

the best thing to do when it idles in neutral is to wait for it to get warm. Everything seals up and gets more consistent when its warm. Turn off your fuel trims and use your wideband to tune your fuel in using afr error. disregard any error readings under 140*F. you can do this with a histogram filter (see attached)
    once you bring the fuel into check it should be idling way better. I would perform a braf calibration at this point for just idle w/ ac off. gets you a good curve estimate for the in gear part. Once you have a rough idea on the neutral curve, copy it to the in gear and add 1.0 g/s to it.

now check your in gear performance and make adjustments one at a time to fine tune the idle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 12-14-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    If you happen to have your foot on the brake I would assume when you put it in gear and your idle and timing drop. Go under systems options and put a "0" under brake torque management and thank me later....

Every time your idle dips your torque management goes to -30 I am assuming that you are touching the brake at that point.
    Last edited by anniversaryss; 12-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the assistance.I did some research overnight and found a great post just on idle stuff by Rinkrat456.I do believe the torque management setting is where my issue lies.I certainly appreciate the help.I will work on it a get back to you.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PHENOMENA View Post
    Thanks for the assistance.I did some research overnight and found a great post just on idle stuff by Rinkrat456.I do believe the torque management setting is where my issue lies.I certainly appreciate the help.I will work on it a get back to you.
    Yep try what i said.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Advanced Tuner
    Dude your idle spark table !! From 0-1200 and 0.08-0.36 set to 20* where did you get those numbers!Shanes idle adv..JPG
    copy the in Drive at 20* suggested and do it to the P/N table too.
    In the Base running airflow add 5.5 g/s to the table from 140* up Gear and P/N. In the cooler temps, add 1 and interpolate.
    What is you overlap? Look at cam card, add int. BTDC + exh. ATDC= overlap. 110* LSA is going to be WIDE.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 06-07-2020 at 09:44 PM.