Thread: Can HPTuners be used to overwrite and to return a flashed computer back to original

Can HPTuners be used to overwrite and to return a flashed computer back to original

I've read in some older posts that HPTuners can overwrite other ECU flashes if needed. Is this the case for all ECM's that HPTuners is available for? also, what would occur if the read file is re-written to the ECM? would that return the previous tune? would this brick the ECM? would i be able to see the configuration of the previous tune or would i need to merge a factory file for my ECU with the read file that i used to license HPTuners to the ECM with? I have a few folks who have had flashes done but are inquiring about having a full tune through use of HPTuners. Others have purchased used vehicles with tunes which do not pass emissions and would like to return to original. In both situations they would not mind paying the license credits for HPTuners.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachiroku View Post
    I've read in some older posts that HPTuners can overwrite other ECU flashes if needed. Is this the case for all ECM's that HPTuners is available for? also, what would occur if the read file is re-written to the ECM? would that return the previous tune? would this brick the ECM? would i be able to see the configuration of the previous tune or would i need to merge a factory file for my ECU with the read file that i used to license HPTuners to the ECM with? I have a few folks who have had flashes done but are inquiring about having a full tune through use of HPTuners. Others have purchased used vehicles with tunes which do not pass emissions and would like to return to original. In both situations they would not mind paying the license credits for HPTuners.
    You should not be using HP Tuners as an OEM flashing device on ANY application. We always recommend using an actual OEM style device in order to flash an ecm to stock, any other way is not recommended.

Additionally, no, we do not offer write entire for every application we support making it not possible on many applications to even try to use it as an oem device.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill.