Thread: looking into a nitrous kit...how to tune for it?

looking into a nitrous kit...how to tune for it?

hey all, i did a quick search and didn't find any info. im looking at adding a NX wet system i got a great deal on to my stock 01 5.3 swapped s10. The truck runs great now with a decent tune with stable afr and timing ive applied the speed density enhanced OS and have been running in open loop with ltft and stft disabled. ive only ever used spray on 2 stroke snowmobiles and dirtbikes (converted to snowbikes). i was hoping someone could give me some direction with fuel and timing tuning for a NX wet system with 3 bolt ls plate. thank you in advance for the help, ive also provided my latest datalog and current tune for reference.

Also looking for info or suggestions on cam/springs and converter would be helpful. should i do them before installing the spray? i have put a corvette servo in the trans but other that its a stock setup.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LM7S104X4; 12-18-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add attachments

Tuner
    you need to adjust your PE activate rpm to a lower value, timing is conservative and I'd richen up PE a bit on top, Are you tuning with a wideband?

it goes into PE far before the 5500 rpm it hits 11.77 at wot, yes tuning with wideband

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i guess im still old school. i tune to best n/a power then use the jets to target best jetted power.
    there is no active trimming during wot which is why it works.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    i guess im still old school. i tune to best n/a power then use the jets to target best jetted power.
    there is no active trimming during wot which is why it works.
    I was gonna say the same thing. But i decided to see what others were gonna say.

I was going to say use an ignition retard box and jets to adjust the AFR
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i use a switched inline resistor that i toggle before startup. then i use the iat retard. others have figured out a way to trigger the knock circuit which is something i like since it doesnt skew the air density calcs by shifting the iat to an un-realistic range.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I am running a 100 shot on my 2000 GTP. Make sure you have no KR, fuel trims lock in at 0, and reduce your timing. I pull 4 degrees for a 100 shot. No problems so far.
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Potential Tuner
    Use the lnc-2000 it’ll make life much easier, along with a window switch. A converter that will let you foot brake close to 3000 will be optimal to make it leave. You don’t wanna turn the juice on below 3000. Good luck

Advanced Tuner
    LS will want at least 2-3 degrees reduced timing per 100 shot of gas. 4 per 100 if you want to ere on the side of caution.

You’ll want your AFR around 11.50-12.00 on gas