Thread: E40 Turbo Colorado PLEASE HELP

E40 Turbo Colorado PLEASE HELP

Ok guys so I have a handful of things going on and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a few of them.
    The truck is an 05 Chevy Colorado with a 5.3ls swap (lm7 if we wanna be specific) with a 4l80 and a 78/75 turbo. Cam specs are 283/286, .050": 228/230, .585/.585 (sloppy stage 2 as some refer to it), and decapped injectors. E40 ecm (2006 5.3 Trailblazer) and t42 tcm (2008 express van) in order to retain factory gauges and wiring was done by Current performance. Im currently running without o2 sensors or knock sensors, eq ratio monitored by AEM wideband.

Onto my issues.

1) I cant build over 2.5ish lbs of boost.
    I have leak tested my cold side and sealed everything up, there are no obvious leaks and the ones that were present were very small.
    I have pulled the wastegate off and bench tested it to see that it opens at 14psi but starts to open around 10-12, so that shouldnt be an issue.
    I have checked the hot side for obvious leaks and had no luck finding any, if someone has a suggestion on how to check for them under load I'll gladly try it.

2) This may have something to do with issue (1) as well Map sensor PID does not line up with the Map values listed in the graph and chart.
    If this picture loads you can see what I'm referring to. The chart reads 116 kpa but the PID wont read above 104kpa. everything below 104 kpa seems to line up ok together. Since this is an E40 I'm under the impression that you use the std map pid since there is no 2bar map option in the scanner.
    Attachment 95309

3) Getting TRQUE fuel cut randomly without making any changes.
    Randomly I can drive the truck somewhere, shut it off, turn it back on 10-15 minutes later and I get fuel cut with TRQUE displayed in the scanner. I can pull over turn the truck off and back on and it goes away. (will load separate log to show this)

3) No speedometer.
    Transmission seems to shift out as it should but I get no speedometer readings on the dash or in the scanner.
    If I load the 4l60e tune, The speedometer works without issue.

4) Fuel gauge reading backwards
    Fuel gauge on the truck reads the wrong way and also seems to be off a fair bit from what I can tell.

I will be uploading the 2 data logs and my current tune, If anyone can take a look and give me some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try logging the SAE map sensor channel, see if that is any different.

Being that your decapped injectors are larger than the 63.5lb/hr limit you should try to use the double stoich/half the IFR and IVT terms to scale the injectors in the tune. I only did a quick look at things.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

What MAP sensor do you have, is it actually 200.00/8.00? The 2-bar OS changes to those numbers as a default, it's not necessarily meant to be correct for any specific sensor.

Also note that the E40 has a one of a kind VE table with the axes backwards from every other GM computer both before and after. If you set up your EQ error graph like it shows in all the tutorials, with X = engine speed & Y = MAP, your collected data will be applied to the wrong cells when you go to paste it into the VE table. An E40 graph (whether using fuel trims or WB error) has to be set up with X = MAP/Y = RPM, the same format as the VE table uses, or you will be going round in circles wondering why your changes don't have any effect.

I don't know about the fuel gauge, but try reversing the Sender Max/Sender Min values. Try Max = 10/Min = 54, and then Max = 46/Min = 90. Just guessing.

Go to Trans > TM and put the Abuse Mode tables back to stock.

On your speedo, another guess, but I'm comparing to another sample file I have here, '06 TBSS w/4L80. Try ISS After OD = Enable, ISS Before Sprocket = Disable. Do you have the 80e ISS wired in per the Express wiring diagram?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry its taken me so long to get back, got caught up with a few things and I greatly appreciate the replies and I hope to get this wrapped up over the weekend.
    So some updates on my situation.

Map Sensor: Fixed
    I cleared all my channels out in my scanner, repolled the vehicle, loaded them back and was having the same issue. From there I reflashed the ecm with the same tune file, repolled and added channels and Map reads correctly now.

Boost: Fixed
    I was referencing my wastegate off the compressor housing, swapped my reference to the inlet pipe in front of the throttle body and made 7lbs on the first run. So I have a pretty large restriction with my cheap intercooler that I will be addressing at a later time.

All other issues are still there, However I have not gotten to try what blindsquirrel has suggested but plan to do so when I get in today and see if that changes anything.

Im not sure if the wiring is correct for the Express van as I had this harness made and have been in contact with the company that built it and based off everything they've had me check have determined it is a programming issue. They say if I buy a new TCM from them that it will work and correct my issue but I'm hesitant to spend the money without exhausting all other options programming wise.

I keep reading that there are communication issues between the 4l80 t42 program and the E40 ecm. There's a lot of information out there about this but its all fairly dated or not updated with the fix and I'd like to think that someone has worked out that issue and got it working. The wiring company has told me that they use brand new tcms and get it to work, but that it doesn't seem to work on a tcm that has to be re written. I'm not sure if that's a real solution or a sales tactic. Regardless if anyone has info on that, it would be helpful.

Thanks again for the responses.

I have an E40 with 4L80 and T42 TCM. You have to get a harness with relays between the T42 and the trans. There is a couple of solenoids that are backward from the 4L65. PCM of NC makes the harness. I don't know what you have in the way of wiring though. Is your E40 from a manual car or an auto? Not sure why the TCM has to be re written. It needs to be paired with the E40.
    You can use the auto program (4L60) to run the 4L80 when you have the relays. If you have a manual trans E40, that's another problem. You can send it off to somebody that has the GM equipment to change it to an automatic trans E40.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 01-03-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

The wiring harness was made specifically for this application by current performance. They say it can be ran with a 4l80 file they load onto a brand new t42 and everything works correctly. If read about the relay method and considered going that route, but I hate to think I paid a company to make a harness to run this setup and then had to turn around and modify it to work. Seems like something they should of made me aware of beforehand.

The E40 is from an auto trailblazer. And seems to be working fine as is other than the speedometer issue on the dash and on the scanner.

You said that the speedo works with the 4L60 tune. Does the trans shift with the 60 tune?
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

It shifts but it does not shift correctly all shifts are very early and close together, almost back to back. I’ve only taken it maybe a half mile down the road like that to verify speedo.

Another update, changing those parameters that blindsquirrel suggested for the speedometer now has it showing me a speed in the scanner if I select the pid from the tcm. The ecm pid still shows zero along with the dash. Also showing “trans current gear” always in first on both scanner and dash.
    Last edited by Havok2016; 01-04-2020 at 02:34 PM.

You're using a really old base ECM OS, one I haven't seen before. Not saying that's the problem, just that it's adding an unknown to the mix and that never makes things easier. If it were me I'd flash it with a GM tool to the latest 12612557, reapply the 2-bar, and copy in all the changes you've made to date. Leave the TCM as-is. I do have a sample file here with a 2006 Trailblazer E40 and a 80E T42, unknown where the TCM OS came from, but whatever it is they work together. The TCM won't segment swap with your ancient ECM OS, you'd have to update first to try it.

To follow up on this, I have corrected all issues and been driving the truck a couple of days to make sure everything seemed to be working right. I ended up going back and loading the 4l60e tune into the tcm and then modified all the parameters to match a 4l80 based off of this writeup https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/easie...cm-ids.637081/ at least for the most part. It seems the problems in that write up have been addressed with the newer hp tuners versions.

Ill post my latest tune and log for anyone interested or looking for this info in the future.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I hate to ask but what were the correct settings for the fuel gauge. I can't open the file you posted without updating my software and I'm not interested in doing that.

I?ll try to explain it the best I can without having the computer in front of me and being able to send pictures.

If you go to FUEL SYSTEM/FUEL TANK/GAUGE

Look at Primary Volume and Primary Volume Gauge. At that point you should be able to see the numbers start high and decrease in value or they will start low and increase in value depending on what the pcm is out of. Whatever its doing, flip those values around so that it does the opposite. Its really easy to see if you look at it in 2d view, the graph will either decrease as it goes to the right, or increase. Just make your graph do the opposite of what it is doing now.

That will get the gauge to read correctly, or at least going in the right direction. Dont get too caught up in the values and what they are if you?re simply trying to make an analog gauge read in the right direction. This worked for my truck and a couple others that I?ve helped with.
    Hope that helps you out.
    Last edited by Havok2016; 06-03-2020 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Typo