Thread: Mil light wiring for 2016 2.3 ecoboost

Potential Tuner

Mil light wiring for 2016 2.3 ecoboost

Hi, guys i am doing a 2016 2.3 automatic in a 77 ford and in CA it needs to pass smog so i am going through the referee. I need a mil light i am not running the bcm or dash. if there is some out out there with any info on this. i know that the ford control pack have a mil light not sure if they are a the same ecu as the 2016 mustang that was the donor i have. bottom line line im looking for the Mil Ground out put for the ecu FR3A-12B684-EA. Thanks

I don't believe that ecu has a dedicated MIL grounded output pin, rather it most likely uses MS-CAN to communicate to the cluster to illuminate the MIL.

How I got around that on my Coyote swapped Marauder was to use the Dakota Digital STA-1000.

The Ford Control packs most likely have a built in interface in their control box that converts the MSCAN MIL request into a dedicated ground on/off output.

It should be noted that that STA-1000 will NOT illuminate the MIL for ALL DTC's....I had found that it only picks up the basic ones, as in you could still have a DTC set in the PCM that would normally illuminate the MIL, but the STA-1000 will not turn on the output for your wired in MIL. I would think that all of your emissions mandatory DTC's are picked up by it though, and just the more manufacturer specific ones aren't, but i'm sure Dakota Technical could answer that one for you.

I believe there is only a Tach Output dedicated wire on the PCM, but again it's been years since I did that swap so I might be a little rusty.

All of my factory gauges/MIL worked with my setup, and all I remember using was that Dakota box.
    Last edited by 96gt4.6; 12-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the info i will look into and respond back. Much appreciated

Potential Tuner
    Any luck on the MIL. I am starting a coyote swap and want it to pass emissions. On one of the requirements to pass state smog is that the MIL must works as stock, meaning it must illuminate when the key is on; which looking at the Dakota Digital's STA-1000 instructions says it can not do that... not sure.

Currently I have two ideas. First, if the Ford Racing control pack tune is loaded is the HP tuner repository I will try to compare and see if Ford reassigned an output to a pin, like an air conditioning switch. Plan B is to get an arduino with a Can bus and relay shields and sniff the MIL information and trigger a ground signal.

Let me know what you did?

JJ