Thread: info cam timing 1.4l

info cam timing 1.4l

I have looked around on the forum but could'nt find info for changing the cam timing on the 1.4. Is there a section that I can read up on for changing the cam timing. I looked at vcm editor but really could not understand how those tables work. I have done cam's in the past but not like these electronic setups, my way was dial indicator and degree wheel.

2012 1.4l out of a cruze

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    so the 1.4 uses the high baro cam tables and wot cam for adjustment. The parts boxed in red are the locations for the tables.
    When the values go more positive, the intake cam advances and the exhaust cam retards. (more overlap)
    I cant tell you how far each value moves the cam because i didnt spend time with these like i did the lnf stuff, but thats how it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

if someone ever takes a phaser apart to the point where the cam can be locked at max and min positions while using a degree wheel, then we would know how far it rotates in degrees. From here the software can be used to program the minimum commanded position value (full separation). start increasing it and whatching the cam position feedback. When you keep increasing the value and the cam no longer moves, then you know where the max min controller values are.

( Max controller - Min controller ) / mechanical phaser degree window = number of controller values per 1 degree of phaser rotation.

this all assumes that of course the motor is non-interference of course. you would find this out when you did the phaser travel check. ls motors with phasers have to install a phaser limiter when a large cam goes in while retaining the phaser assembly. the eco slow's don't get that option.

thanks COB I'll check this out tomorrow after it warms up a little. I don't know if it's been cold up your way but in central Az. it's getting pretty cold at night, almost have to wait till noon.

yeah we're feeling it up here too. something like 24* at night. not too lang ago it was dropping into the teens at night.

I looked at this it seems that maybe I'll just wait till it gets a little warmer like the end of March. I want to pull the v/c and see what I need to make to set up a dial indicator on the In. & Ex. I don't really feel comfortable just playing with numbers,I want to know how much valve to valve and piston to valve clearance I have. These systems have to much redundancy, move one thing and two more change, until I know more I will wait to try for more hp and torque. I want to build as much power as I can in the low to mid range not a high end screamer. This is being built for tight off road fun after all.
    Thanks again, I will be talking to you again I hope on this build.
    Jim