Thread: 2000 GTP stereo shuts off, clock resets to 1:00

2000 GTP stereo shuts off, clock resets to 1:00

A strange thing has started happening to my 2000 GTP. Many times in the past few weeks, when I turn off the ignition, about 3 seconds later the stereo goes off, the display flashes 1:00 several times and then goes blank.

The next time I restart the car, reset the clock to the correct time, drive it somewhere, and turn off the ignition, it might work OK. It might work OK for several days. When I shut off the ignition each time, the stereo displays the correct time and the music keeps playing until I open the door.

Other times it does its crazy thing, I turn off the ignition, and the music keeps playing for a few seconds and then it shuts off, the stereo flashes, and goes blank again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on??
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by coachcrow56 View Post
    A strange thing has started happening to my 2000 GTP. Many times in the past few weeks, when I turn off the ignition, about 3 seconds later the stereo goes off, the display flashes 1:00 several times and then goes blank.

The next time I restart the car, reset the clock to the correct time, drive it somewhere, and turn off the ignition, it might work OK. It might work OK for several days. When I shut off the ignition each time, the stereo displays the correct time and the music keeps playing until I open the door.

Other times it does its crazy thing, I turn off the ignition, and the music keeps playing for a few seconds and then it shuts off, the stereo flashes, and goes blank again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on??
    How old is your battery? These cars do some pretty stupid sh!t when the battery goes. Also I would check your grounds.

Battery is 6 months old and all grounds have been checked!! One strange thing I have noticed, if I scan my car with HPTUNERS, and leave everything plugged in (connection to laptop and to factory connection under the dash), shut off scanner and turn off ignition, the radio clock resets. If I disconnect laptop before I turn off ignition, the radio clock does not reset. Strange!
    2.8/3.0/3.2 Pulley/ZZP CAI/1.6 HS Rockers/Hi Energy Comp Cam 76-802-9/LS7 Lifters/ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler/TOG Headers/Triple Edge Performance Stage 3 Transmission/3.29 Ratio/NGK TR6ix IRIDIUM .40 GAP/ZZP Fuel Rails/ZEX 100 shot NOS/GMPP Sway Bars/KYB Adjustable Struts/Power Stop Performance Pads/Rotors

HP Tuners does not recommend having the laptop plugged into the car. Especially when writing or downloading a tune.

So how are you supposed to write a new tune to the car if you are not connected?

hehehehe

I mean connected power wise like to a auxiliary plug or power converter.

I never use an auxiliary plug or power converter----I just make sure my laptop is charged.