Thread: 2000 PCM upgraded with 2001 tune file -better idle

Tuner in Training

Thumbs up 2000 PCM upgraded with 2001 tune file -better idle

Just wanted to make a note for anyone looking for answers... I have a 2000 LS1 in my 69 Camaro thats been completely rebuilt, TSP heads/cam/headers - the usual stuff. No matter what I tried I could not tune out a slightly surging idle. 850 surging to 1000 and then back down I came across a thread that mentioned perhaps the 2001 and up stock tunes had better resolution on the idle tables and plus I noticed my 2000 file had a normal primary ve table and a secondary ve table with half the resolution. The 2001 just has a single VE table so tuning that is easier in a sense. Anyway, I grabbed a stock 2001 file, changed everything in it that I had changed in the 2000 file and wrote the entire (upgraded to RTT while I was at it). After warming up, idle was spot on. No more surging.

Perhaps a more advanced tuner may have figured out how to get the 2000 file dialed in, but this was a solution that worked for me. I had been through base running airflow, idle PIDs, AFR, timing, over/underspeed you name it over the past year or so... just could not find the right combo. I have other swapped cars with 2001 and up PCMs that I had no issues tuning so that kind of clued me in as well. It wasn't a terrible issue, just annoying more than anything.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Tuner in Training
    can you share that file? I have a 2002 0411 ecu 5.3 in a 84c10 runs bad azz driving but stopping at lights or heavy traffic is freakin horrible and my idle is making me want to throw a holley on there and forget it

Advanced Tuner
    What I have done to get the surge out of engines is I found a stock ls6 file and I transfered the pid settings over to my file and that really made it a lot better. It pretty much doesn't want to change the iac positon so quick.

Tuner in Training

69 Camaro v101 with 2002 OS RTT.hpt
    Here's what I'm working with now. Only issue I have left is a bit of a dip in RPM as I coast to a stop but a little play with the cracker and or follower and I'll be set. I can't believe what a diff the 2001 settings made over the 2000.