Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting KR under hard acceleration

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    I actually added timing across the entire RPM range. However, I made changes to bring the PE in a lot quicker.
    Try this revised version. I pulled a couple of degrees from the 3200-4000 rpm range in order to reduce KR. WB tuning needs to happen next.

Out of curiosity, what spark plugs are you running?

Attachment 95743
    NGK TR5IX Iridium Spark Plug of of Amazon. I have read good and bad about NGK s
    2000 S10 Blazer 2WD 5.3L Summit 8719 cam -209 int./217 exh. with an LS6 intake and 4L60E trans

Senior Tuner
    I'm a fan of NGK plugs. I would have gone with the regular ol TR6 plug. With your flat top pistons, it wouldn't hurt to have a little colder plug.

Try increasing your Delta Cyl Air. Something like 2.000 from the stock .080 (Spark>>Retard>>Burst Knock Retard)

Looks like your KR comes in from throttle transition. Usually people say this only logged in Burst know retard where as you see in the KR historgram. I set mine at 5.000 and it got rid of random KR.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Chuck View Post
    Try increasing your Delta Cyl Air. Something like 2.000 from the stock .080 (Spark>>Retard>>Burst Knock Retard)

Looks like your KR comes in from throttle transition. Usually people say this only logged in Burst know retard where as you see in the KR historgram. I set mine at 5.000 and it got rid of random KR.
    I'm confused about the last part, what did you set to 5.000?

Here is a more recent log file, much improved, but still getting some KR. I think maybe now I'm getting too aggressive with the timing, only thing is, the KR does not always happen. Sometimes it pops up during a hard run, sometimes, none at all?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2000 S10 Blazer 2WD 5.3L Summit 8719 cam -209 int./217 exh. with an LS6 intake and 4L60E trans

Too much timing in the upper rpms if you ask me. I'd bet that it would make the same power on 25-27 degrees than it does at 28-30.

If you have timing adders, remember to take those into account if you are upping the time. The main table may show 22-24 degrees but the base spark correction is adding in 4-5 degrees more, you may not want that to happen.

I do agree on increasing the burst knock delta cylinder air table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

This is where I have mine set to 5.

Like 5FDB says, understand where all your timing is coming from besides the base table.

Log anything with Advance in the description.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Get a wideband o2 sensor as soon as possible. You must be able to monitor the real time air fuel ratio's, there is no guessing with this stuff.

You're missing a lot of good data in your logs too. I don't see commanded AFR or lambda, no injector pulse width avg for both banks, cylinder airmass is missing, no wideband o2 sensor data.

Pump 87 isn't helping with a camshaft and compression bump. Run 89+ octane at a minimum if you ask me.

Make sure fuel pressure is steady too, should always be around 58psi. Then use the wideband data to tune both the MAF and VE to correct the fueling.

Based on the o2 sensor readings at full throttle, it's looking pretty lean. They can't be trusted 100% but on a healthy setup with good sensor they will report in the ball park. The roughly .800mv is pretty low, typically I see 890-930mv.
    I do need a wideband and is on the list for when it hits the shop for the last couple minor mods. (exhaust at this point) so what is a good sensor/gauge combo that is decent bang for buck?
    I unerstand some read additional items as well as AFR. I want to mount it in the SS dash cover where the 4WD switch is on the non TBSS.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Get a wideband o2 sensor as soon as possible. You must be able to monitor the real time air fuel ratio's, there is no guessing with this stuff.

You're missing a lot of good data in your logs too. I don't see commanded AFR or lambda, no injector pulse width avg for both banks, cylinder airmass is missing, no wideband o2 sensor data.

Pump 87 isn't helping with a camshaft and compression bump. Run 89+ octane at a minimum if you ask me.

Make sure fuel pressure is steady too, should always be around 58psi. Then use the wideband data to tune both the MAF and VE to correct the fueling.

Based on the o2 sensor readings at full throttle, it's looking pretty lean. They can't be trusted 100% but on a healthy setup with good sensor they will report in the ball park. The roughly .800mv is pretty low, typically I see 890-930mv.
    I do need a wide-band and is on the list for when it hits the shop for the last couple minor mods. (exhaust at this point) so what is a good sensor/gauge combo that is decent bang for buck?
    I understand some read additional items as well as AFR. I want to mount it in the SS dash cover where the 4WD switch is on the non TBSS.

I'm also still trying to get a handle on the whole Burst KR settings, I'm so confused at this point, I'll likely have to start over and read stuff again, I really am not understanding the settings. On, Off, reduced, I understand it's concept, but clueless on proper settings.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS