Thread: Disabling Active Exhaust - 2018 Challenger RT (5.7)

Disabling Active Exhaust - 2018 Challenger RT (5.7)

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Challenger RT and the active exhaust is starting to malfunction. I think one of the butterfly valves has failed, allowing it to flap around freely. This creates a rather embarrassing exhaust note that sounds like a bad leak. It sounds kind of like when you drag something across the blades of a spinning fan, and it's loud enough to drown out the actual exhaust note. I've already inspected the exhaust for loose connections and everything was tight. Unfortunately, Dodge thought it would be a good idea to only sell these valves as a complete cat-back exhaust. In other words, a problem means you need to buy a whole new exhaust or find one from a scrapyard. You can't just buy the flapper and pop it in. What I'd like to do instead of laying out $1000+ for a new cat-back exhaust is to cut out the butterfly valves and weld in straight pipes. Searching through owners forums, this will probably throw a DTC when the actuators are unplugged or sense an inoperable state. Here are my questions for anyone who's dealt with this before. If you did a full exhaust for a customer/project car that omits the valves, you've probably encountered this already.

1. Can the HP software prevent the disconnected actuator DTCs from appearing?
    2. If so, what module owns this system, and what's involved?
    3. If I already have a double bypass installed for the zAutomotive Tazer unit, do I still need to perform a PCM unlock?

I know the poor man's solution is to cut out the butterfly valves, then secure them to the undercarriage so the computer still thinks they're operable. I'd prefer to avoid this if possible, as well as the brackets that simply lock them in the full open position. Ideally the repair would be a remove & replace to swap in straight pipes, then tune out the DTCs. Thank you for your help!

This video shows the system (and bracket fix) for those who haven't seen it before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5sOpe1FfI0

Mods, if this belongs in misc please move it. Thanks!

Jake

Advanced Tuner
    Have you looked at (compared) a stock tune for a manual RT? Should give you insight into which DTC need to be disabled. You can also set all the tables for AES to 100 percent.

Advanced Tuner
    If you remove them completely you will have to do the above as stated from Homer, Also You cannot just simply remove them and hang them up as they cycle with every key on or everytime you start the car and the system checks them for function, they do however make a few devices to fix this and are relatively inexpensive compared to replacing them entirely. https://mfer-1.com/ Bear in mind all of these solutions will have the valves open 100% of the time regardless of driving mode.

Advanced Tuner
    The diagnostic codes that might require disabling for a 2018 model are:

P1217-Active Exhaust Valve 1 Performance
    P121B-Active Exhaust Valve 2 Performance
    U113F-Lost Communication With Active Exhaust Valve 1
    U1140-Lost Communication With Active Exhaust Valve 2

This is according to Chiltons. Copy link below and enter following password to access yourself.

https://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/va0083_002?db=CHLL

PW: blackwater
    Last edited by Homer; 12-30-2019 at 10:25 AM.