Thread: 2017 Whipple LT1 installed in Silverado 5.3 truck

Potential Tuner

2017 Whipple LT1 installed in Silverado 5.3 truck

I am at my wits end on these Gen V monsters. How do you get rid of Torque Management? My new actual power numbers are 660 rwft lbs and 630 rwhp, but Torque management is killing 40 ' of timing right at idle? Is it all in the Virtual Torque Editor? I got rid of torque management and then the throttle was a on/off switch at 31% APP.

In short, you don't. It's a torque based controller so torque mngt can't be shut off.

Post up your tune and logs files if you want people to look at it and give possible pointers or tell you what you did wrong/right.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    This tune didn't pull timing, but APP was trigger happy, more of an on/off switch. New to HP tuning and New to GEN V motors. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Richard

street29.hplTUNEV29street.hpt

It's probably not a good idea to tell the computer it can't knock, how are you going to know if you have actual spark knock if you disabled it? I even saw it at 6-8psi of boost with a command fueling of stoich?

Did you just whack the MAF with fuel to get to what you want?

I didn't dive deep but it needs help.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Killing the knock was just an attempt of killing the torque management. There are no marks of knock on the spark plug or on the deep pulls at 10 psi, even with knock on... I only touched the maf calibration to get to a +\- 10% ltft, and changed the map to a LS9 so it could see the boost

But you also basically disabled power enrichment by setting it to 1.075. If you do the math that is 14.68/1.075 = 13.65 commanded AFR. That's pretty lean for boost. It's why I asked if you just whacked the MAF with fuel because that's how fueling could reach the 11's or 12's when PE is set so high.

1) Torque management *IS* idle control for GENV. Shutting it off removes the ability to control idle.
    2) Why are you trying to outsmart the Whipple provided tune if your vehicle is otherwise close to stock? Those calibrations were built by someone who understands how the GENV torque control system works.
    3) There are several compromises in there to work with the mechanical bypass valve in the supercharger without giving the driver some really nasty side effects. You might "fix" one issue and cause two others if you aren't careful and working with the system correctly.
    4) Shutting off knock control and messing with WOT fueling is a great way to damage your engine and catalysts.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    1) Torque management *IS* idle control for GENV. Shutting it off removes the ability to control idle.
    2) Why are you trying to outsmart the Whipple provided tune if your vehicle is otherwise close to stock? Those calibrations were built by someone who understands how the GENV torque control system works.
    3) There are several compromises in there to work with the mechanical bypass valve in the supercharger without giving the driver some really nasty side effects. You might "fix" one issue and cause two others if you aren't careful and working with the system correctly.
    4) Shutting off knock control and messing with WOT fueling is a great way to damage your engine and catalysts.
    Would you mind expanding on 2) and 3) a little?

I will try the Whipple Cal again, I don't doubt they spent time on it and know what they are doing, but at a very minimum the VVE is completely wrong, being that the MAP they use is 118 kPa capable.

Any input on what is done to tame the bypass valve?

Thanks for your input!