Thread: 3v stroker injector timing and cam duration

3v stroker injector timing and cam duration

wondering if people leave the injector timing at the stock value of 345 with aftermarket cams or if ur changing it to intake valve open with exhaust valve closed @.006 as is read on cam card and is it only read as 360 degrees or is it read as 720 degrees which is a full engine cycle..
    Last edited by kuddnpete; 12-29-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I've left it at 345 on Mothathumprs and Hot Cams

ok what if the vct is locked out and the system isnt using the multiplier for the cam being advanced or retarded??

Advanced Tuner
    720 degrees. I change it to IVO at 0.50. Some argue to adjust to after EVC with intake open but I don't agree with doing this.

Last edited by kuddnpete; 01-01-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    you can test and see if advancing or retarding the injector timing how it affect fueling at idle
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

so ive been testing it at in the 340-350 range the car pulls good down low but seems like it hits a wall at 5k under full throttle but if its part throttle it pulls good and also the fuel trims are out right crazy lookin... ive also tested the 700- 720 range the car runs and idles better but watching my afr it lean spikes randomly and will miss acts like its gettin no fuel but fuel psi looks good.. the reason i aksed this question and which i maybe should have started with is under part throttle under light load im getting a random miss that i cant seem to figure out and its bothering me that it doesnt turn on the check engine light and the scanner doesnt pick it up... im wondering if under at certain load that the timing is being retarded to far causing this miss.. if it would help i could log the car later for yall to see so u can tell me what u think...
    Last edited by kuddnpete; 01-02-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Pull a log: make sure you have the timing channel logging, you will be able to see what spark is doing in real time.

Advanced Tuner
    Is this an auto? When you mentioned 5k feeling like it hits a wall are you hitting a limiter before the shift? Part throttle misses could be something mechanical like coils/spark plugs. Also, check load and TP when this happens. You may be opening the TB blade all the way at part throttle without realizing it. Also, what are your full cam specs?

its a powerglide auto swap manual valve body.. had accel coils and swapped to the granatelli hot coils had stock motocraft plugs swapped to brisk silver had the miss with accel and motocraft as well as with the brisk and gms coils..

cam specs @.050 are
    237/248
    lsa 113
    ic 102

11.1 compression so the cams couldnt be retarded more then 2 degrees without having ptv clearance issues so i installed them at the 102 ic instead of 109

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    Is this an auto? When you mentioned 5k feeling like it hits a wall are you hitting a limiter before the shift? Part throttle misses could be something mechanical like coils/spark plugs. Also, check load and TP when this happens. You may be opening the TB blade all the way at part throttle without realizing it. Also, what are your full cam specs?
    and when it comes to the wall i figure its because the cam is looking for the extra air but since theirs no super/turbo or nitrous its missing that forced power its looking for... just trying to get it tuned off of the bottle before i cause a disaster.

so i finally got it to throw a code and i think i found whats causing the miss tell me what you think... but the only way to be sure is to swap it to bank1 and see if it follows..

p0356

Advanced Tuner
    You have a ton of MAF error, timing is really retarded, IPC errors are high. Fix the MAF first, see if the IPC goes away, if it doesn't you need to tune torque tables, with your spark being so far retarded the IPC errors may require some work to fix. What wideband are you using?
    Last edited by B E N; 01-03-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    You have a ton of MAF error, timing is really retarded, IPC errors are high. Fix the MAF first, see if the IPC goes away, if it doesn't you need to tune torque tables, with your spark being so far retarded the IPC errors may require some work to fix. What wideband are you using?
    will go adjust the maf errors but im sure i will still have the ipc errors in which i have been confused about adjusting my tuning book kinda confuses me when it comes to where to plug the numbers in after u add and divide maybe its because hptuners has updated and the etc throttle angle table looks diff when u click on the x axis can u help with this? i use an aem wideband but in those logs i wasnt logging it sorry

Advanced Tuner
    The MAF setup is the most critical thing on these cars I think. Get that dialed in and see what happens with the torque errors after that. I am still struggling a little bit with the torque table tuning, and I dont want to lead you astray, here is a good post on it though: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...t=torque+table @murfie is really smart on it. I think that thread references the coyote platform but the theory seems to apply. In my case getting maf dialed in and scaling the torque table reduced my errors by 90%.

Make sure you have the wideband logging, it will tell a bunch about how the car is responding to driver input and tune changes, it will be a sanity check for any tune change you make.