Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E40 GTO with ASA Cam and LS3 - Start-up tune

Tuner in Training

E40 GTO with ASA Cam and LS3 - Start-up tune

Hi All,

I am in desperate need of help on getting my fresh engine build fired up so I can safely break in my engine. I have experience with very basics of tuning on VE and MAF tables but I am struggling with dialing in the injectors. I have never tuned a modified engine such as this and my attempts clearly show I am doing something wrong.

I know I need a wideband and I am currently waiting on one to arrive but in the meantime using my STFT I am showing my idle trims running +20 in the RED. I do not feel safe running the engine and have only about 1 minute on it to confirm good oil pressure etc. I converted my injector data with the help from this forum to LS3 specs but something is seriously wrong.

So here are my modifications:
    ASA CAM 225/236 .525/.525 @110 (Speedway Version)
    LS3 Bosch Injectors
    Ported 823 Heads PAC 1218 Springs
    LY6 Iron Block bored to 4.030 with Flat top Mahle PowerPak Pistons
    Balanced Stock Rotating Assembling with 24x Swap
    LS3 Intake
    Stock LS2 TB
    CAI
    Cat Delete
    Stock LS2 MAF

So I had an LS2 with an ASA cam that I did a little tuning on that I used for my base but then changed my injector data to LS3.

I know if I run the engine anymore I am going to wash my cylinders and the rings wont seat. But even before I get my wideband I need something stable to break this engine in. Any guidance will be appreciated.

I attached a copy of the tune so criticize it all you want. I am open to all opinions so I can finally feel comfortable tuning. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

+20 just means it's lean, so it's adding in fuel to make it happy.

You'd be worse off it was -20 because that would be overly rich. A quick test of adding 5% worth of fuel the MAF/VE to bring the trims down is something you can try.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the tip. I can definitely give that a try. I thought it was running lean but it smelled rich. I did have a steady idle (no surging) and the car fired right up. The big issue was as soon as the values started to spike in the 20's, my dash indicator went into safety mode. I'm assuming because it recognized a lot of knock? Is there anything I should do to the timing to help counter knock as well?

I really hope I have the injector data is right. If so I do not mind dialing VE/MAF from there. But right now my goal is to get the engine safe at minimal attempts so I can get these rings to set properly before causing damage.

Your rings should be seated in about 30 seconds. Post up the injector data of the injectors that you have. There are a lot of LS3 injectors. Your timing at idle looks ok in the idle chart but you didn't post the scan, so its hard to say where it is actually running. Your wot is at 30 degrees timing !!! you might want to scale that back to about 23 until you get it sorted out and then make the low octane table about 5 degrees less. Right now, both tables are the same.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I just modified my VE table and reduced a lot of timing from my chart at all areas above 2k to around the 20-22 range. I will not be doing any WOT pulls till my Wideband comes in but I would really like to hold a steady load on the engine after it comes up to temperature.

I am going to disable the MAF just by unplugging it since the IAC is a different connector.

As for the injectors I did not get a sheet on which ones. I just know they are the OEM Bosch LS3 Injectors. Part Numbers on the box are:
    0280158051 & 1257641

I thought only the data changed between the years on the injectors from the earlier 06 z06 injectors. Im pretty sure I bought replacements for 2010 Camaro application if that helps. I can pull an injector out of the rail to verify.

I will attempt this tune I have attached and post a log. I still kept my high and low octane tables the same.

Tuner in Training
    Here is an attached copy of the log for about 30secs...

at 1200 rpms it went up to 25.87 @ 65Kpa.

I definitely need some help. Should i bump my fueling up 20%???

Car just smells rich but that could be residual burn since its a fresh rebuild

I think you have some injector data wrong. Go to FIC injectors and select GM injectors--365cc and look up the E40 data.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    I think you have some injector data wrong. Go to FIC injectors and select GM injectors--365cc and look up the E40 data.
    Ok I can do that but this is where I am confused. I'll just be honest but I feel lost on the injector data. Which areas do i need to specifically look at?

I literally copied data from a 06 Z06 and another excel file here on the site.

Tuner in Training
    Does anybody have a compare file of an e40 with ls3 injector data?

Senior Tuner
    Here's your tune with the FIC data and MAF only calibration. Try this and give us a datalog.
    06GTO-FICINJDATA-MAFBASE.hpt

Tuner in Training
    So I ran the tune provided and the car ran and idled fine but it was still dangerously lean in the area of being +28.

I attached a copy of the log but i was at least able to log a little throttle response.

Should I add 20% to my MAF tables?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Here's your tune with the FIC data and MAF only calibration. Try this and give us a datalog.
    06GTO-FICINJDATA-MAFBASE.hpt
    So I reviewed your tune and it looks like the only injector data you changed were the Short Pulse Adder & Offset vs. Volt vs.Vac.

So do you think the rest of the injector data is correct? Im about to just add 20-25% fuel to my tables and see how close that gets me. I would be a lot happier to see some green values on the board

Senior Tuner
    This should get you really close to where it needs to be...
    Your IFR table is already set properly. Now it's time to start tuning.

06GTO-FICINJDATA-MAFBASEplus20%fuel.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    This should get you really close to where it needs to be...
    Your IFR table is already set properly. Now it's time to start tuning.

06GTO-FICINJDATA-MAFBASEplus20%fuel.hpt
    Awesome! Thank you for you help. I am going to load this tune and give it a try and attach the log. As far as the IFR data, did you see any discrepancies or anything odd compared to normal LS3/LS7 parameters?

Tuner in Training
    OK! That got me in a lot safer of a place. My STFT were only up to 5% rich. Much better but it took a minute or 2 to lower down to there from 12-7%

So i checked your settings you changed in the idle airflow areas and I was curious about the changes? so here is the new issue. If you look at the last 2 minutes of the log the idle slowly surged from 1100-1800 rpms at idle. I was not on the throttle but it was having a hard time lowering and would not go down to 800rpms as it searched for idle but kept climbing.

Great news is I am out of the danger zone but how do I get the idle not to randomly climb that high?

Senior Tuner
    Here ya go. I reduced the min airflow to lower the idle.

06GTO-FICINJDATA-MAFBASEplus20%fuellessair.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Ok that brought me down to 800rpms for a breif second. Idle still climbs and hangs at 1800rpms then searches to go back down. So i was able to shave 200 rpms down to a normal idle but it is not quite fixed yet.

I definitely think one of my idle settings are out of whack. I looked at timing and nothing seemed abnormal to force it to climb. I saw you only reduced idle airflow 1000rpm and below. do you think i should pull some from 1200-2000?

I am curious which parameter would cause the engine to search for a 1800rpm idle?

Also I added 5% more fuel to the MAF tables and it was finally hitting some -1% percent values. I am a lot happier with that.

Attached is my log.

Your injector duty should not be 5% at 1100 rpm. Something is still screwy.
    If you are going to tune with stft's only, turn off the ltft's. When you start to scan, be sure and reset fuel trims in the scanner special functions. It takes a few minutes to level off after a flash.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Your injector duty should not be 5% at 1100 rpm. Something is still screwy.
    If you are going to tune with stft's only, turn off the ltft's. When you start to scan, be sure and reset fuel trims in the scanner special functions. It takes a few minutes to level off after a flash.
    Ok I can turn my LTFTs off. You make a valid point at why my IDC is low. I have no idea as to why. What steps should I do to correct that?

Change your min pulse width to this
    Attached Images Attached Images