Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft Recommendation

Advanced Tuner

Camshaft Recommendation

Ok guys just got the OK from the wife to drop some money on the car. I'm going to be doing the rods and piston upgrade as well as tossing in a cam for more sound and performance. Question is what specs to get. I know the easy answer is just call and get one spec out which i will do but i rather have some first hand experience from those that have been down this road and also get some names of those that make good cams for these cars. I'm going to be attending the hands on course from the tuning school in May and hoping to have all the bugs worked out by then so dont worry ill have many tuning questions later on lol. Any suggestion are welcomed.

2015 Charger scat pack
    Whipple 8#
    Street\Strip Car
    Daily Driver

Not looking to upgrade the converter at this time but will be on the future list of things to do.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    Ok guys just got the OK from the wife to drop some money on the car. I'm going to be doing the rods and piston upgrade as well as tossing in a cam for more sound and performance. Question is what specs to get. I know the easy answer is just call and get one spec out which i will do but i rather have some first hand experience from those that have been down this road and also get some names of those that make good cams for these cars. I'm going to be attending the hands on course from the tuning school in May and hoping to have all the bugs worked out by then so dont worry ill have many tuning questions later on lol. Any suggestion are welcomed.

2015 Charger scat pack
    Whipple 8#
    Street\Strip Car
    Daily Driver

Not looking to upgrade the converter at this time but will be on the future list of things to do.
    Blue Bee @ Tappedperformance.com has some great cams to suit a PD blower

MMX (http://www.modernmusclextreme.com/ ) is a good choice, so is OST ( https://ostdyno.com/ ) both those guys have been HEAVILY involved with boosted G3 engines and have had great results,BFNY ( https://bfnyperformance.com/ ) is another great place to go, they have quit a few builds that are always in the top 10 in the MSHS series .

Now if you are a do it on your own type guy......Texas Speed has some GREAT Boosted cams out right now. and they are under $500 for their VVT cams....... I know they are a mostly a Chevy shop, but they spent about 2 years in R & D to come out with these cams, I have personally seen a stock Hellcat pick up 45Hp over the stock cam with the TSP Stage 3 and that same Hellcat picked up another 15 with the TSP stage 4 cam.
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 12-29-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Advanced Tuner
    You could also go for a Hellcat cam.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks guys. I looked at the Texas Speed stuff but kinda thought that wouldn't be up to par with some of the others out there that have been doing the gen 3 stuff. I also liked a few of the cams that MMX offered, guess its just time to get on the phone and talk to someone with more knowledge. Thanks again guys

Senior Tuner
    There are many good options out there. One of my good friend's Chargers makes in the 900 whp area at only 13 psi with the OST Demon Plus cam and a Whipple. Never had it on dyno on 93 octane but it can take a lot of timing with that cam on 93 so probably safely make a decent bit over 800.

Senior Tuner
    It's drop in piston and rod 392 like you would be running by the way

Advanced Tuner
    That's impressive. what idle quality does it have ?? Guess I need to give them a call

Senior Tuner
    It is pretty choppy but definitely can get it stable so it doesn't stall or anything without having to raise the RPM too high. I think I have it idling around 800 but would have to check the tune. It doesn't drive bad at all with that cam either. I drive it a decent bit testing things and never get frustrated with it bucking and surging or acting up. Wasn't too much of a struggle to get it to that point either.

I just noticed your city. If you've seen a purple 392 Charger with Whipple at Owensville it was probably them.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm definitely going to give him a call did he add a converter or anything else?? You say it drives good. I'm just curious on that aspect. I'll have to keep you on my list of people since you've got some time in on tuneing side of this.

Senior Tuner
    Stock transmission and stock converter still. It runs 9.8 at low 140s in the 1/4 at 4650 lbs on stock converter leaving easy off idle with foot brake.

Advanced Tuner
    ridenunvw i talked with mike from OST and he actually recommended the big daddy camshaft for my build. im by no means a cam guru but he was telling me that this cam would need a converter and makes good power through 7500rpm.. I'm not looking to turn my motor past 7k so i'm wondering what the demon plus cam makes power to?? He did tell me the LSA on the demon plus cam was around 126 and the big daddy was around 116. Seems to me that the demon plus would be a better fit for what i'm wanting to do with the car?? i'm also not looking to spend them money on a converter right now but if need one then i have no option just looking to get this done with the funds i have. Also can you tell me what shop tuned the car you were speaking about??

Senior Tuner
    I tuned it. I try to have it shifting around 7200-7400 but it makes good power before that. Probably rev it out more next season. Not sure if big daddy cam has a more aggressive idle than Demon Plus but I got Demon Plus behaving nice on stock converter.

Advanced Tuner
    My vote is a OE Demon cam (or copy) or if you just have to have a bumpy/racey idle, then go with OST Demon Plus cam.
    Be careful, you will quickly get tired of big cam in a daily driver so OE demon is great choice and they make awesome power.
    I have retro-fitted a few of these now for guys who went too big LOL.
    Also make sure the pistons you choose drop the comp down a bit so you can run more boost on 93 too.

Advanced Tuner
    Hemituna do you know the specs on the OE Demon/Redeye vs the normal Hellcat cam?

Hellcat cam is
    I - .561" lift duration @50= 215
    E - .551" lift duration @.50= 230 LSA is 120.5
    Demon is
    I 561 Duration @.50 =215
    E 551 Duration @.50= 235 LSA is 123

The SRT392 NON MDS cam is
    .571 Lift ,Duration @.50 is 215
    .551 Lift ,Duration @ 50 is 221 LSA is 120.5
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 01-03-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    G3 Hemi Videos

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. I knew that on a FI 5.7 going to HC cam would be a significant improvement but did not think that swapping in a HC (or Demon) cam on a FI 6.4 was really worth it. So that extra exhaust duration really helps?

Advanced Tuner
    With a power adder you have a lot of help getting the charge in, but no help getting rid of the spent charge.

Thus, more exhaust duration = more better with power adders. With turbocharging, it gets a little more complicated since you have a built-in exhaust restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Interesting. I knew that on a FI 5.7 going to HC cam would be a significant improvement but did not think that swapping in a HC (or Demon) cam on a FI 6.4 was really worth it. So that extra exhaust duration really helps?
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    With a power adder you have a lot of help getting the charge in, but no help getting rid of the spent charge.

Thus, more exhaust duration = more better with power adders. With turbocharging, it gets a little more complicated since you have a built-in exhaust restriction.
    Which is why the TSP Hemi cams are Hard to beat for the price,

Stage 3 Cam 223/232 .582/.582 115+3
    Stage 4 Cam 226/235 .582/.582 117+4

More Exhaust lift , and roughly the same duration for the S3 cams and even more Duration on the s4 cam. the Cross flow nature of the hemi heads is a big part of why they
    love boost, the exhaust valves draws directly on the intake,
    G3 Hemi Videos

Advanced Tuner
    Which is why the TSP Hemi cams are Hard to beat for the price,
    Stage 3 Cam 223/232 .582/.582 115+3
    Stage 4 Cam 226/235 .582/.582 117+4
    More Exhaust lift , and roughly the same duration for the S3 cams and even more Duration on the s4 cam. the Cross flow nature of the hemi heads is a big part of why they
    love boost, the exhaust valves draws directly on the intake

This above, is exactly why a big LSA works so well on blown hemis.... The lower LSA's are much more suited to an LS as the valves dont face each other like the hemi does
    and that is what sends the boost straight out the exhaust when you add a blower.
    The factory know what they are doing with the 120+ LSA's and with boost you dont need lots of duration unless you want it to rev to the moon.
    Think of it as a denser/more compacted charge rather than a bigger/longer one as if NA.
    When supercharged, you are really affecting the pressure difference across the intake/exhaust.
    NA is pretty much 1:1...so 1 atmosphere at intake valve vs 1 atmosphere at exhaust valve.
    With a blower running 14.7psi, it is 2:1 ratio....2 atmospheres at intake vs 1 atmosphere at exhaust valve.
    So you can see why the boosted intake charge wants to head straight out the lower pressure area exhaust.
    So we need to delay intake open, and get the exhaust shut....there is still plenty of time to fill the cylinder as the charge is twice as dense
    not twice as big.
    Also keep in mind that the whipple virtually has no intake runner and is just a bellmouth at the intake port...
    so the intake charge has little momentum at low rpm (but a ton of top end flow) and is more affected by added duration and overlap.

You can make tons of power while retaining perfect street drivability/idle by making a wise blower cam choice like the cams I mentioned or similar.
    Last edited by Hemituna; 01-06-2020 at 05:17 PM.