Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 GTO stock tune issue

Tuner in Training

06 GTO stock tune issue

I have been tuning my LS2 since I realized putting any add-ons will cause it to need adjustment. Once I put an OTR intake on and upgraded the MAF it started running very lean. When I got HP Tuners I also found the 6.0 was actually tuned for the 04 5.7 engine!?
    Anyways I finally got the VE table looking good in SD mode but when I put the adjusted VE table back into the stock tune the long term fuel trims went through the roof. I am using 4.4 version of HP Tuners and have LC-2 WB installed into 1st slot on Pro module. Here are my tune files and log files for your evaluation and am hoping for a little advise as to what went wrong. Thanks much for any advise in this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    What MAF sensor are you running? Have you tried calibrating the MAF curve yet?
    Here's a file that should help...StockGTOMAFtuneplus20percentfuel.hpt

Tuner in Training
    The Granatelli MAF that's patched up to 15k Hertz. No I didn't want to start that process until I was sure that the VE table was properly done in SD mode. From my understanding if the VE table isn't right in SD mode then any other adjustments will be garbage.

Tuner in Training
    The VE and the MAF work together, you need to tune the maf as well. Put it in maf only mode dial that table in then turn the VE back on.

Whats the purpose of the Granatelli maf? I looked at your SD tune file and you have not failed the maf in airflow or dtc's to be in sd.Dynamic airflow is still showing maf use.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

If this is a performance car, set your PE to 0 delay instead of 5000. Your PE should be 1.18 to give you a 12.5 afr instead of 13.4.
    Where is that maf now with the new intake? Your low octane table should be about 5 degrees less than the high table. Both are the same now.

Tuner in Training
    I disconnect the MAF all together and was told that while SD tuning it's best to keep both spark tables the same. Also this is a street car with only an X-Air intake and Granetelli MAF upgrades. Running at 13.4 is not too lean to cause damage to my knowledge but am new to this so. Also when I get into the high RPMs it goes to zero so am assuming perhaps my EQ ratio math might not be correct?

Are you logging knock?
    I posted the correct eq ratio. The top ring lands on the stock pistons are pretty thin. If you run way lean and have knock, you can break pieces off the pistons and have a major engine problem. You don't need to keep both spark tables the same on the E40. If you are going to go to ve tuning, unplugging the maf also unplugs the intake air temp sensor unless you have split it off. That will screw with your fueling big time. Keep the maf plugged in, go to Engine--Airflow and make the fail numbers 0 and 1. Go to DTC and make P0101,102,103 Mil on first error and uncheck the light boxes. Go to Dynamic airflow and make those numbers 8000 and 7900. Take any maf pid out of channels list. Turn off the other stuff that messes with fueling--dfco, cot, LTFT's. Now you can tune the ve table.
    Please don't go wot if your lambda goes to 1.00 at wot.

Tuner in Training
    I appreciate your post and have some questions and or if you could critique what I am doing now that would be great. I have to try and conserve fuel but don't want to do that at the cost of my engine obviously but here are my current tune values for my SD tuning which I think is almost complete. Please let me know what you think of my values especially on the PE ratios and VE table EQ ratios thus far.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Under Airflow--Dynamic, make the disable and reenable back to stock numbers if you are through tuning in SD. That is to reenable the maf. . Under Spark--Low octane table should be at least 4 degrees less than the high table. Under Power enrichment--Delay--make the delay either 0 or something like 1000 rpm.

If you are trying to tune in SD, there are several things that you forgot to do. Engine diagnostics--airflow--mass airflow sensor fail high-0, fail low-1. Now go to DTC's and make P0101,102,103 MIL on First Error. Engine--Airflow--Dynamic--8000rpm and 7900rpm.
    I would still change the PE numbers that are 1.15 to 1.18 with that stock engine.
    On your log, when you get over 5000 rpm, pe kicks in and goes a little rich. If you want it to follow the commanded numbers, you have to adjust the ve table in that section so that the amount of fuel is correct. The commanded numbers are for reference so you can adjust the table. Looking at short term trims and EQ, you are pretty close on the tune. Today, you can get it close to 0, and tomorrow it will be =-5. That's the narrow bands job to keep control of that.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 02-24-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Well may I ask what was forgotten in order to properly SD tune it as that's what I'm trying to do?

Tuner in Training
    Excuse my lack of knowledge but isn't keeping the MAF out of the equation by kicking in above any RPM range I will see and keeping the spark tables the same helping to ensure those 2 don't mess with the SD ? Also above 5k I wanted it rich to keep from damaging engine and bring the VE table down from rich to leaner safely for the engine. 1.18 across the board is your recommended PE ratio?

Please read the above post again. The steps are there.
    Since you have a wideband, you don't need to be using STFT's in your log either. Disable STFT's in your tune and rely on the wideband.
    Remove the MAF channel from your channels list also when you are tuning in SD.

You don't have to do 1.18 across the board, just the 1.15 numbers.

Tuner in Training
    SO having the MAF in channels list will effect the VE table and or the fuel trims even though they aren't being used until 6800 RPM? Also how to do disable STFT and am imagining that you mean to just use the EQ error table to adjust the VE table right??

Yep, keep maf out of channels when tuning sd.
    You still have not turned off dfco in your latest file.
    Yes use Eq error to tune the ve table.
    You turn off stft's by increasing the temp---Click on ECT vs startup ect and change the temp to 270 or something higher.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 02-26-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Tuner in Training
    DFCO is just the fuel cutoff when decelerating or letting off the accelerator pedal correct? I also worry that running that will kill the cats faster but not taking away fuel when you are decelerating and dumping a bunch of fuel in the cats. How much scew can I possibly gtet leaving DFCO on when tuning the VE table?
    Also I remember a time when I got the VE table VERY very dead on but when putting that VE table back into the stock tune everything went super rich.
    Is there a specified time to run the car, or drive cycles, before you can start logging again and everything settles from the new VE table?
    Last edited by cynicslullaby; 02-28-2020 at 06:00 AM.

Tuner in Training
    in addition to the DFCO question I am wondering why now my idle seems to hover at 38 kpa and my WOT will now only go to 99 kpa? This is a sign of the cats getting blocked from tuning with all these options off right?

Turning off dfco for a little bit will not hurt the cats. It is not "dumping" fuel into the cats when it is off.
    Yes, when you write calibration, drive it around for about 10 minutes before you start scanning. Open special functions in the scanner and reset fuel trims before you start driving. I don't know why your map only reads 38-90. Did you change the map sensor specs in your tune for some reason? What does it read key on--engine off in the scanner?

Tuner in Training
    I might not have explained it right. So when I 1st started tuning the idle MAP was at 21 but after tuning so much with all DFCO and disabling the enrichment for cooling converter etc it moved up to 38 and last time I did WOT the 105 block would not populate. Thought this could be due to a exhaust restriction? Now MAP will populate in lower than 38 block under deceleration but now WOT doesn't make it to 105 blocks like before.