Thread: Can you change the vin# of a tune to run on your truck.

Potential Tuner

Can you change the vin# of a tune to run on your truck.

I bought my 06 2500 with a smarty touch already installed on it, the canned tunes are fine but id like to start messing around with some of my own. Heres my problem, when I return the truck to stock through the smarty touch hp tuners is unable to read my ecm ( some block that smarty puts on their files). I contacted the guys at smarty and they sent me a stock recovery file, with the recovery file flashed in I am able to read the ecm and edit the file like normal, but when I try to flash the file back into the truck it never completes the write. The loading bar will go to 100% then clear and it will say validating, if I unplug the mpvi2 and shut down hp tuners the truck will crank but no start and the fuel pump just pulses. When the truck is in this state I hooked the smarty up to read the dtc's and I got a u1601 code, researching this code brings up a TSB from dodge on new ecm firmware having a locked bootloader. Also in this state if I try to use the gather info option in the vcm editor it tells me "Unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol" in the bottom where it should read out the vehicle info.

Is there a way to change the vin of a stock tune off the tune repository so I can try to flash it into the truck and rule out wether or not this is an issue with a bad ecm or the file sent from smarty is the updated ecm firmware from dodge that contains the locked bootloader ( im afraid if have the dealers flash the truck it will be the same file and i'll still be locked out).

Banned
    Your model year won?t have a locked ecm flash file, none that smarty would send you would have that. However smarty does tend to send everyone incorrect files for their trucks fairly often. You can?t change vin number of a tune file, at least not on these trucks with HP Tuners. Should of went with EFILive if that?s the option you want. Reflash the recovery with the touch and try again.

Potential Tuner
    I have a support ticket open for this, the locked bootloader is the only thing I can think of that is causing this issue since the code im recieving is related to that, and after the failed flash the ecm is unresponsive till I use the recovery file. Ive tried reflashing the recovery file from smarty onto the truck at least 5 times in the past few weeks, hp tuners reads fine but when I write the ecm with hp tuners it always gives me this error. The smarty can flash custom tunes and canned tunes along with the recovery file just fine, but hp tuners cant flash the stock file back in. Battery voltage is 12.6 and i've tried flashing both on and off a trickle charger. Any ideas on this?

Banned
    Sounds like an issue with HP Tuners. Flashing with a charger on the batteries isn?t recommended either. If you feel it?s an issue related to the recovery file you can always take your truck to a stealership and have them flash a clean file to the ECM, would of cost less than the smarty recovery file. There is no locked ECM flash file for your model year either. HP Tuners is failing to close out of the bootloader after it?s flashed the tune.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by reger2175 View Post
    I have a support ticket open for this, the locked bootloader is the only thing I can think of that is causing this issue since the code im recieving is related to that, and after the failed flash the ecm is unresponsive till I use the recovery file. Ive tried reflashing the recovery file from smarty onto the truck at least 5 times in the past few weeks, hp tuners reads fine but when I write the ecm with hp tuners it always gives me this error. The smarty can flash custom tunes and canned tunes along with the recovery file just fine, but hp tuners cant flash the stock file back in. Battery voltage is 12.6 and i've tried flashing both on and off a trickle charger. Any ideas on this?
    Did you ever figure your issue out? I'm having a similar issue, but I have a Smarty Jr and I cant even get HPT to read the stock file. It says "read has been disabled in the tune". Wondering if you figured it out, so I can maybe get a direction to go?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by nbdiesel1 View Post
    Did you ever figure your issue out? I'm having a similar issue, but I have a Smarty Jr and I cant even get HPT to read the stock file. It says "read has been disabled in the tune". Wondering if you figured it out, so I can maybe get a direction to go?
    If your truck is an 03-05 model year, there is no option to read the calibration out on those trucks. Hp Tuners will inform you of this, and will provide you with a stock base file from which you can start modifying.

The 06-07 5.9L trucks should be readable, unless they have been tuner-locked.