Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with jtec trans tuning

Tuner in Training

need help with jtec trans tuning

hey guys just downloaded the new beta and i have to say everything i need is there. i tried following tune suggestion for newer cars put dont apply here. trying for firmer shift and got it wrong (trial and error) so i thought some one would chime in this.any help would be apreciated.

Tuner in Training
    any body??? just want to firm up shift
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9
    which is my latest toy to tune

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file

Tuner in Training
    can i email it to you? cant get attachment to work
    Attached Files Attached Files
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Advanced Tuner
    Looks like it worked.

Tuner in Training
    Not sure about a 2002 Dakota, but at least in the case of my 1998 Ram I wasn't aware that there is a way to tune the transmission. I thought it was kind of like the old ones that are simply operated off of throttle position and require mechanical adjustment to change shift rpm and firmness. I hope that I am wrong?

Advanced Tuner
    I've never tuned one of these, but I can tell you how I'd approach it.

Hook up a real line pressure gauge (or transducer fed into your MPVI PRO) and see what you have now.

Play with the settings, starting with the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 GENERAL and see how those affect your readings. Also, check out recommended line pressures for this type of trans when installing a shift kit. I think a 727 it is recommended to run somehwere around 90psi? But it's been a while so check me. This should be an electronically shifted dirivitive of a 727 with an added overdrive - I think a 46RE, correct?

It's weird how everything seems to be duplicated in this file, even the table names. I'm using 4.5.1175.0 beta just downloaded. I would make the duplicate tables match each other. Copy/paste.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumplumbing View Post
    Not sure about a 2002 Dakota, but at least in the case of my 1998 Ram I wasn't aware that there is a way to tune the transmission. I thought it was kind of like the old ones that are simply operated off of throttle position and require mechanical adjustment to change shift rpm and firmness. I hope that I am wrong?
    There are tables. I'm not sure if they do anything.

Tuner in Training
    played with tables under pressure tab, got it to shift quicker.lowered tm tables but that just seem to extend out shift.changed a few tables(pertaining to pressure(up and down) . had a fail to write on one of them(scared the crap out of me), wrote again back to normal.i know its in there somewhere and glad it doesnt take long to write and try something else, buti know i have done at least 5 trial and error reads regarding pressure(and toying with other things not related but getting nowhere.
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Tuner in Training
    oh and thanks for taking a look. btw that was stock and for what its worth definitely runs/feels better since modding tune!!
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a channel to monitor line pressure?

Banned
    There just plain is no adjusting line pressure on this transmission. If more pressure is desired a modified pump is needed. The governor pressure tables will control shift firmness and speed, adjusting TTVA will also help there. Everything looks really similar as the 48RE and there?s going to be very very little adjustment you can do and get consistent and desirable results.

Tuner in Training
    no nothing to monitor pressure.ok thanks guys.i played with tm and some other tables .havent tried them out yet.watching the games .will try halftime
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Banned
    What HP Tuners has given for your transmission the shifting works by running a bunch of algorithms for post shift acceleration and some other stuff that must be met within the windows of the shift tables shown in the transmission section in order for a shift to occur. There?s lots missing to really gain good control of shifting.

Tuner in Training
    ok hopefully another beta will come out that will define more tables
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Banned
    Chances are a no. Typically what you see is what you get and that?s where user defined parameters come in for individuals to add in parameters not defined. You can try asking support but with amount of resources that goes into defining parameters, they probably won?t as they would have other priorities for newer vehicles and whatnot on their list. This typical of all custom tuning platforms, They prioritize their resources and tend to move on once they?ve felt they have spent enough time and money on something and have enough there for most to get the tuning results they are looking for.

Advanced Tuner
    I would disagree with Jim P here. They have continued to add and improve many file definitions for the Dodge platforms since I have been a customer.

Now, as far as priorities he is probably correct. JTEC and the older RE trans probably are not a high priority compared to newer vehicles. But they have come this far. If someone (Like Jim P) were to share definitions he found with HP they would surely add them for us.

But I would bet he is not willing to do that since he most likely considers those definitions his intellectual property and the benefits of his work ($$) would go to HP instead of Jim.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    I would disagree with Jim P here. They have continued to add and improve many file definitions for the Dodge platforms since I have been a customer.

Now, as far as priorities he is probably correct. JTEC and the older RE trans probably are not a high priority compared to newer vehicles. But they have come this far. If someone (Like Jim P) were to share definitions he found with HP they would surely add them for us.

But I would bet he is not willing to do that since he most likely considers those definitions his intellectual property and the benefits of his work ($$) would go to HP instead of Jim.
    well i hope thats not the case.i can understand he put the research and development into it ,but i believe that he has gain something also by being on hptuner forum.they put tons of research in to the chevy and ford why not dodge ? jtec has been around for a long time and i would like to think in its prime someone has more to offer than the current offerings.sure there were some chrysler product around then that people wanted some tuning done to.beta is just that beta a more refined software has to to be on the way(wishful thinking)
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9

Banned
    Personally I got nothing to gain or lose looking deeper into this specific calibration for transmission parameters and sharing some stuff I may find. I only work with the Cummins, 48RE and 68RFE. I haven?t looked at the hex of this calibration, just what HP Tuners has defined in it and what I?ve seen from that it looks just like the 48RE, even though if you were to look at the transmission parameters of a 48RE HP Tuners has defined for the 2004.5-2007 cummins equipped trucks you wouldn?t know unless you?ve seen the entirety of the 48RE transmission parameters as what?s defined in the 46RE isn?t defined in the 48RE in HP Tuners but nonetheless everything shown for the 46RE is actually in the 48RE. There?s some specifics I certainly wouldn?t share, took months of working with someone to figure out exactly what to do in the 48RE to gain consistent and predictable tuning. Getting HP Tuners to add parameters, I have no doubt they would add them on a case by case basis when they would get to it if they had to do the leg work, doing the leg work for them it?ll probably happen a lot easier and quicker. This is just speculation from a business stand point, but my guess would be they would want or need the same parameters locations across multiple calibrations that utilize the 46RE first as there really is no viability or gain in adding them only for one specific calibration for one specific model year of one specific vehicle out of many out there that use the 46RE. Locations of parameters can and do change from model year to model year, it?s a lot of work to go through. This is one of the big reasons for user defined parameters. The individual can put in what he desires if he knows where it is for his specific vehicle.

Tuner in Training
    being in retail myself i do understand all that has been said.i have no question as to the work that goes into it.just guessing some of the handheld tuners have accomplished firmer shifts with this transmission,i assume its not copy and paste, but reverse engineering to see what they done takes a lot of the leg work out.also making it happen for current customers,future customers, past customers, and all of those three that are looking for this feature. i use to program chevies with hptuners a long time ago and everything was there to work with just needed trial and error from the collective effort to make it better.fast forward 15 years for me i thought i could buy the program and start tuning,not digging into being beta and how much support i would need thinking it was complete puts me to take another avenue ie shift kit or piggyback a handheld if possible
    16 mkx
    09 mb 320 coupe
    02 dodge dakota r/t 5.9