Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Boost Fueling MAF question 6.7 Powerstroke

Tuner

Low Boost Fueling MAF question 6.7 Powerstroke

I am having a issue getting the truck to fuel in low boost I have messed with turbo and timing cant get enough fuel if I change the MAF should I max the curve or the G/s scale or should I just max out both from idol to redline
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 01-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.

I dummy out the MAF to read full air flow from 1000rpm to redline, for me this didnt cause excess fueling during cold weather idling. I was getting a haze and strong fuel smell from the exhaust when i modded the entire map to read full air flow.

Tuner
    That makes sense I had only increased the high flow areas and only about 20% I figured I might get higher EGT but I have a probe
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 01-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.

The transmission torque limiters will also cause the engine to reduce fueling if the MAF mods dont solve it.

Tuner
    I was getting a wired dead pedal last night I am going to try again today truck was definitely fueling until I tried to get on it one time

The transmission torque limiters are easy to shut off, I think there is only three and you can just select them off. I havent looked at the trans tables in a while but I unify the different drive modes to all shift as if the truck is in 4x4L so to speak, not to shift at the rpm 4x4L commands but to not limit power. I also take the torque converter maps from select shift mode and use those parameters for all the converter tables, it keeps the converter locked from the top of 2nd to 6th and also when decelerating. Its not just copy and paste, some of it needs some smoothing over and adjusting to the different axis's in the maps but I have had good luck with it.

Tuner
    I appreciate it man I am fairy new to tuning especially the transmission I had copied the tow haul for shift speeds to keep from lugging I didn?t know that low range 4x4 kept the TCC locked Good stuff

4x4L parameters dont necessarily keep the TC locked, but when the truck is in 4x4L it completely shuts down advance trac and doesnt cut power with torque limiters. So I try and mimic that in the normal drive modes. Im new to using HP too so im in the same boat with learning, I am more familiar with MCC which is what I started with years ago.

Post up a data log that shows your commanded mg of fuel and your actual mg of fuel, if you're not hitting your targeted fuel play with your lambda limiters.

Tuner
    I am getting a haze at idle I need to figure out about how many G/S the truck is using at around 1000 RPM and max it from there on up I?m getting much more fuel now my EGT is almost 150* hotter that it was before just cruising I am only running about 12* timing I have noticed anything above 4-5 * and it?s like a power band on a old 2 stroke dirt bike she comes alive but 25-30* just doesn?t seem to run right even adding 2 degrees in cruising area bumps my mileage up over 20MPG ON BS MILAGE METER

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kavney View Post
    I am getting a haze at idle I need to figure out about how many G/S the truck is using at around 1000 RPM and max it from there on up I?m getting much more fuel now my EGT is almost 150* hotter that it was before just cruising I am only running about 12* timing I have noticed anything above 4-5 * and it?s like a power band on a old 2 stroke dirt bike she comes alive but 25-30* just doesn?t seem to run right even adding 2 degrees in cruising area bumps my mileage up over 20MPG ON BS MILAGE METER
    12 degrees seems excessive for cruise timing. What's your timing, rail pressure and injection qty around idle. When idling your basically running closed loop torque control to maintain the given RPM. Lambda isn't going to really come into play there, if it is being overfueled at idle it's going to rev up. In my experience you can reduce some of the fuel smell with more rail pressure and timing to help get a more complete combustion.

Tuner
    I?m only hitting 12* at 3500 RPM I kept hitting torque modules error when I hit high RPM with anything more than about 14* my Torque factor was set to 1.44 in some areas in factory settings I am closer to 1.25 from a forum tune I compared. One limiter at a time I have worked around Im think my transmission is my last hurdle
    I set my maf to max out I logged maf up to about 1200 to the max limit in HTP for fueling if that doesn?t work injection pulse is next in the higher areas 60.+

I?m only hitting 12* at 3500 RPM I kept hitting torque modules error when I hit high RPM with anything more than about 14* my Torque factor was set to 1.44 in some areas in factory settings I am closer to 1.25 from a forum tune I compared. One limiter at a time I have worked around Im think my transmission is my last hurdle
    I set my maf to max out I logged maf up to about 1200 to the max limit in HTP for fueling if that doesn?t work injection pulse is next in the higher areas 60.+
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. You need to raise all your torque limiters. Also log your fuel mass and torque to see what values you are limiting at.

Tuner
    Lol voice to text I have been working on setting up my scanner I?ll let you know what I find or I?ll post my data log

Tuner
    I had set my Torque monitor of RPM to 4500 it?s says anything below this # torque is not monitored so I set it to max the truck wouldn?t rev over 1400 RPM I went through the scanner yesterday and finished it now I have a better set up what is everyone doing with this I?ve seen it set to 500RPM also factor is 600
    I guess being torque based it was throwing something off

This is probably because your actual torque and demanded tq start to separate. Log them and see if it happens right as they separate, if it happens at that point change this 12% to 100% Torque table.PNG and Set allowed difference from 50% to 100%. Then go in and smooth your pedal% to tq demand map to get the truck's pedal to operate smoothly and not be a touchy on off switch. This maybe the wrong way of dealing with this issue but so far it's worked perfectly for me. IMO You need a dyno to truly smooth out your indicated engine torque tables to match actual tq and that should also solve this issue, i think... I haven't had time to play with it as of yet.

Tuner
    I was looking at that table believe it or not I used an old tune I to compare didn?t find for sure issue but the old tune with my new way of fueling was pulling nice I got up to about 850* F with basically stock timing just smoother I noticed torque on scanner never really got more .20-.35 Actual engine Torque My other Torque pid is % same never saw more that about .50%
    Since setting torque the way it is I have been messing with injection pulse above 60mm3 and 100000 KPA I pretty much did a 20/20 like the dirtymax guys run I heard the LLM is very similar
    What?s everyone seeing for EGT does the 6.7 just not get as hot or am not giving her enough injection pulse
    Last edited by Jeffrey Kavney; 01-10-2020 at 06:01 PM.

I was looking at that table believe it or not I used an old tune I to compare didn?t find for sure issue but the old tune with my new way of fueling was pulling nice I got up to about 850* F with basically stock timing just smoother I noticed torque on scanner never really got more .20-.35 Actual engine Torque My other Torque pid is % same never saw more that about .50%
    Since setting torque the way it is I have been messing with injection pulse above 60mm3 and 100000 KPA I pretty much did a 20/20 like the dirtymax guys run I heard the LLM is very similar
    What?s everyone seeing for EGT does the 6.7 just not get as hot or am not giving her enough injection pulse
    You don't need to mess with your Injector PW map if you haven't changed injectors, that's an archaic way of tuning IMO... you just need to find all your limiters. A tuner from the EU said it best on a forum i saw years ago, He said, "The more you understand tuning the quicker you'll realize many tuners don't know what they are doing. If they are changing the injector PW table on a stock injector vehicle it's because they can't find all the limiters." This is especially true of the EDC17 ECU and they way it operates. Post your current tune file and i'll see what's limiting your tune and help you with it.

Tuner
    Sounds good tell you the truth I don?t know if I even needed to adjust the pulse I?ll send that this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    You don't need to mess with your Injector PW map if you haven't changed injectors, that's an archaic way of tuning IMO... you just need to find all your limiters. A tuner from the EU said it best on a forum i saw years ago, He said, "The more you understand tuning the quicker you'll realize many tuners don't know what they are doing. If they are changing the injector PW table on a stock injector vehicle it's because they can't find all the limiters." This is especially true of the EDC17 ECU and they way it operates. Post your current tune file and i'll see what's limiting your tune and help you with it.
    I agree with this! The only time you might want to adjust your pulse width map is at the very last column after you have scaled your pedal to torque and torque to fuel map and still need more fuel. It's best to keep everything in sync as far as estimated torque, actual torque and fuel mass. Most of the changes for more power will be done edge of your fuel maps.