Thread: First Tune overview and a few questions

Tuner in Training

First Tune overview and a few questions

Hey folks,

I've been using HPT for about 2 years with all my tuning being geared toward LS motors. I have recently been playing around my 2005 Cummins and was hoping someone could take a peak at my tune and offer any words of wisdom.

50HP injectors
    Dual disc clutch
    Airdog 150
    nv5600

I'm not really aiming for anything in particular other than tinkering around.

So this is the tune that I have been running in the truck for a couple of weeks comparing it to my smarty touch the old butt dyno feels like im somewhere around the Level 9 with timing tune. WOT EGT's are around 1100-1200

A few questions that I have not figured out yet.

I don't quite understand the IAT Corr and Multiplier. It looks like the multiplier is applied first followed by the IAT Corr. What doesn't make sense to me is how the tables correlate to adjusting timing when IAT's reach the determined threshold. IF anyone could explain that it would be appreciated.

I understand what EQ is and how it relates to gasoline but the smoke limit is pretty vague. Is there a recommended starting level? I assume the higher numerical value relates to the A/F somehow?

Last thing what is recommended to reduce idle smoke? Should I adjust timing, fuel or a combination of both?

Ignore the mislabeling of the attached files I made a mistake when I saved the WOT file.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    05 Silverado Single Cab Long Bed
    LM7
    VS Racing 7875 12 PSI
    E85
    Snow Stage 2 Meth
    BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam
    Built 4l80E

Banned
    I got lots of posts throughout this forum explaining what actually happens with the correction tables and just recently some explanation of the smoke limit table. It?s part of a function of the ecm called over fuel control.

Banned
    Shouldn?t have idle smoke with 50hp injectors. 50hp injectors generally get treated as stock injectors as there really isn?t a whole lot of difference between the two.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks Jim I'll browse back through the forum.

When I swapped out the injectors even on a stock tune I had immediate haze.

It's like not really "smoke" it's just a haze but now that I've tuned it, its slightly more noticeable than before.

Any thoughts on the actual.tune itself?.
    LM7
    VS Racing 7875 12 PSI
    E85
    Snow Stage 2 Meth
    BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam
    Built 4l80E

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecobear86 View Post
    Ok thanks Jim I'll browse back through the forum.

When I swapped out the injectors even on a stock tune I had immediate haze.

It's like not really "smoke" it's just a haze but now that I've tuned it, its slightly more noticeable than before.

Any thoughts on the actual.tune itself?.
    I am new to tuning and still learning myself. but
    I would add some timing to the idle maybe bumping to 2-3 degrees also could try and drop rail pressure a little bit.. also there are some limiters that havent been touched yet.. When you data log you you might want to add Master Fuel Correction to the items you log...

I have also had a haze since i for my new bms injectors from exergy. A lot of people do actually. I have not been able to tune it out.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I have also had a haze since i for my new bms injectors from exergy. A lot of people do actually. I have not been able to tune it out.
    When you got your injectors did you get the correct spray pattern for your year truck? if you mix the spray patterns up it can cause a haze

Quote Originally Posted by NRunkle View Post
    When you got your injectors did you get the correct spray pattern for your year truck? if you mix the spray patterns up it can cause a haze
    Yep. 04.5 up. For me, living at 9000ft is an issue as well, but was told they still would not haze or smoke. My stockers did not smoke at all. Neither did my reman stockers even after they went south.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Yep. 04.5 up. For me, living at 9000ft is an issue as well, but was told they still would not haze or smoke. My stockers did not smoke at all. Neither did my reman stockers even after they went south.
    Maybe the injectors just run dirty lol I have seen where people put 143* in a late bowl design and have issues with haze at idle and cruising

Tuner in Training
    Thanks I've been slow making changes to see what is happening. I'll data log that in the AM.
    LM7
    VS Racing 7875 12 PSI
    E85
    Snow Stage 2 Meth
    BTR Stage 2 Turbo Cam
    Built 4l80E