Thread: CARB/HP Tuner question

Potential Tuner

CARB/HP Tuner question

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. Looking to get HP Tunes from firepunk for my early 04 dodge cummins. Couple of questions, first I already have a smarty tuner. Will reloading the stock tune from smarty be an issue or will I need to go to a dealership? Second, I have smog testing every 2 years in Kalifornia. Can I reload the stock tune from HP Tuners and still pass the smog test? Thank you.

Banned
    It?s a hit and miss when going from smarty to HPT, if running a Smarty Touch you are gaining nothing but the loss of money switching to HPT. As far as smog check, as long as you meet the emissions requirements for your model year you are fine. FYI stock tune is stock tune no matter which platform was used to flash the stock tune, whether through dealer, HPT, Smarty, etc.

Potential Tuner
    Hit and miss in terms of having the dealer reflash the ECM? I currently have a smarty s06. Everything I read is custom tunes are night and day difference compared to the old school smarty stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Banned
    Hit and miss flashing an HPT file if a smarty has been flashed to the ECM and the HPT file taking. Sometimes there is no issue other times there is, sometimes there are issues after a recovery flash or stock flash from a dealership that?s unrelated to smarty at that point. Old school smarty tunes was the go to stuff back in the day but compared to what can be done with full blown custom tuning, no smarty tunes don?t even come close.