Thread: For Chris or Keith @ HPT

Advanced Tuner

For Chris or Keith @ HPT

Hey Chris just wondering are there timing adders for EGR on the 05 LLY Diesel?

When I turn off the EGR the truck feels sluggish at low speeds when the EGR would normally be active and most tunes I have seen always add timing for EGR.

When I turn the EGR back on it fees good again.

I did not see any tables for this in the Beta version.

Also first time down load TCM Recovery came up in the first line in RED but did not the second time I downloaded.

Having fun with it though.
    Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 10-03-2006 at 11:31 AM.

not that i know of.

make sure you switch the ignition off after each successful read/write.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Is this something you can look in to?

Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
    Is this something you can look in to?

Do you have any codes?

Advanced Tuner
    No Codes, I turned them off when I turned the EGR off.

Getting back to what I am asking is whether or not we can gain access to the timing adders for EGR ON.

I suspect there are adders for this, because when I turn off the EGR the truck feels soft in the lower rpms where the EGR is normally active.

If you turn off EGR functions it should turn off all related adders, subtractors, etc.

Also if we can verify this we can compensate the main timing map by the amount that would normally be added when EGR is active.

Ted.

Advanced Tuner
    You don't have a timing table BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM! The only timing you should have is for injecting the mixture into the cylinder. I'm not sire if EGR would change that.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

What may be happening is when EGR is turned off, the presence of the EGR takes up some cylinder volume so the fuel shot is probably less. With the EGR disabled you are probably running less fuel now thus the feeling of lower power.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pknowles
    You don't have a timing table BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE AN IGNITION SYSTEM! The only timing you should have is for injecting the mixture into the cylinder. I'm not sire if EGR would change that.
    I know that, but it is still timing whether it is the time of injection or the time of spark.

The timing event directly affects cylinder pressure or torque.

I mean you no disrespect but I am a lot smarter than you just gave me credit for, been tuning diesels since 1990 when we actually got dirty to tune them.

Also been tuning carburators since 1972 and fuel injection since 1987.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    What may be happening is when EGR is turned off, the presence of the EGR takes up some cylinder volume so the fuel shot is probably less. With the EGR disabled you are probably running less fuel now thus the feeling of lower power.
    That is a strong possibility but there are no tables visible to prove that at least to us.

What I am looking for is the possiblility of either timing or fuel adders or subtracters during EGR.

Haven't seen a diesel cal just yet so I can't be of much help yet.
    Do you mind posting yours in the Repository or here in this thread?

EC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Haven't seen a diesel cal just yet so I can't be of much help yet.
    Do you mind posting yours in the Repository or here in this thread?

EC
    I assume you have 2.1.13
    Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 09-07-2007 at 04:01 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    right now theres about 269 parameters you can change....a bunch of TM egr off parameters it looks like, have you tried any of those? If need be put in a feature request, but theres a ton of egr off tables to toy with under TM-turbocharger from what i can see, not sure what they all mean but hey, they are there
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    check out hte desire boost stuff...under medium & high egr on/off there are some large differences....maybe thats it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
    I know that, but it is still timing whether it is the time of injection or the time of spark.

The timing event directly affects cylinder pressure or torque.

I mean you no disrespect but I am a lot smarter than you just gave me credit for, been tuning diesels since 1990 when we actually got dirty to tune them.

Also been tuning carburators since 1972 and fuel injection since 1987.
    First off I'm sorry, I didn't take the time I needed to formulate my post. I see where I would come off harsh, I apologize.

Second, I would use "injection timing" rather then just "timing" in the future. Your on a board with about 10 times more gas forums then diesel forums and with the popularity of diesels, you get a lot of people who don't have a lot of experence. This was the possible situation that came to my mind, hence the clarification in my post about which "timing" you where thinking of.

I don't have the beta for the diesel stuff and the diesel in my driveway (6.5 TD) is not supported. So I'm assuming you don't have a PID for injection timing. There are a lot of things that come to mind of what it could be (or want GM could have done). I would log throttle pedal position, injection pulse width, and a few of the airflow PIDs. Then drive on the same road at the same steady speed with each tune logging the above parameters. If you get a longer pulse width without EGR then it's a safe bet that injection timing has changed. If you get the same injection pulse width with a higher throttle pedal position, then you know it's something else. Possibly related to some other adder or injection pulse width vs pedal position.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    check out hte desire boost stuff...under medium & high egr on/off there are some large differences....maybe thats it?
    I compared desired boost low on/off med on/off and high on/off, there are no differences in low only a very small difference in med and alot of difference in high above 1600 rpm.

What does HTE mean.

Have you looked at my 05 lly base file?

HTE = Typo.. the

e.g. look at some of Soundengineers posts to see how typing can be influenced by a mind going much faster tahn the fingers <--- see.

BTW: Thanks for the file. Going to look it over the next day or so.

EC
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 10-05-2006 at 02:15 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    oops