Thread: 2012 3.6 Turbo tune/log and consistent part throttle surging/lean

Tuner in Training

2012 3.6 Turbo tune/log and consistent part throttle surging/lean

Hi All,

I've been at this combo for over a year now and have had it remote and local tuned by some respectable tuners but so far, no solution for part throttle surging with occasional intake pops, etc with logs all showing evidence of lean conditions. When it's cold, it real bad. The Jeep has better driveability if I just go straight to WOT and then relax the pedal as boost builds but I shouldn't have to drive like that and then it will also generate the occasional backfire doing so.

Both tuners ended up just fading away when the task got too perplexing or time consuming for them to mess with I suppose. Bunch of $$ I've seen no return on so grasping at straws.

I'm at high altitude and see around 10.8-12psi baro range normally. I've been told FCA program does not contain tables for really low baro and compensates by leaning the shit out of it which could be the crux of my overall issues since this is such a problem child when others have reported success with this combo closer to SL.

Wondering if any of the experts wouldn't mind taking a look at my tune (I have many but same issues) and logs for any obvious areas to target please?

Popping through the intake cold and warm and some occasional through tail pipe when shifting. KR starting 6:47 into 7229d log: part throttle, under load with boost, AFRs are always high in that condition but some tunes are better than others for some reason.

The intake pops happen a few times cold but I did catch one of the random ones that happened just cruising along warmed up at 9:07 into 7269d log.

This tune specifically generates all kinds of lean codes: P0171, P0174, P2098

Would greatly appreciate any input from an expert bored enough to look at these and lend a hand, thank you!

726 9d.hpl7229d.hpl2012 Wr JK 3.6Gm-Prodigy_9d.hpt

Sound's like a vacuum leak, check your intake gaskets. Check for loose pipes. The remote tuners can't work with a vehicle that has a mechanical issue.

Also recommend logging fuel mass per cylinder and injector pulse width per cylinder.

Advanced Tuner
    What injectors and map sensor are in this?

Your fuel trims are fucked showing -20 and +30 at different times.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    fuel trims.jpg

WTF is that?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Sound's like a vacuum leak, check your intake gaskets. Check for loose pipes. The remote tuners can't work with a vehicle that has a mechanical issue.
    Thank you. Early on when I went in to battle with this, that's the first thing I did, thinking the same. Since then I've gone over it a few more times and haven't found anything. That said, some tunes are better than others and some worse, changing the characteristics a bit. Adding driver demand makes it worse and removing helps but of course makes it a dog. The second tuner was local, had it quite a while and went over everything as well.

Quote Originally Posted by luciddeath View Post
    Also recommend logging fuel mass per cylinder and injector pulse width per cylinder.
    I'll see if I can't figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolboy View Post
    What injectors and map sensor are in this?

Your fuel trims are fucked showing -20 and +30 at different times.
    280 158 051 injectors (42lb), 3 bar MAP

fuel trims.jpg

WTF is that?
    A phrase I've uttered on multiple occasional for many reasons.

Pretty cool project I have, huh?

Advanced Tuner
    What 3 bar map?

Tuner in Training
    What 3 bar map?
    Sorry, it's a 5149056AA

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a copy of your stock file by chance?

I have some ideas but I want to see what was turned off in the DTCs vs stock.

Tuner in Training
    Read latest dealer flash revision 08_29_19.hpt

P113E & D, P2097 other common codes (Gesi converter and B1S2, B2S2 share same pipe)

Thank you