Thread: E38 Only Fuel tab populated

Potential Tuner

E38 Only Fuel tab populated

I have an E38 ECM/PCM on a L99 with a 6L80. I have the full factory harness complete with all modules, sterling column and key(not sure from the same car at this point. The motor and transmission were a drop out from a wrecking yard that has a warranty for 30 days. I need to verify it will run in the next 2 weeks.

I have all grounds on the harness connected to the battery ground.

On the X1 connector, I have verified the following:
    Pin19, 20 and 47 have positive power
    Pin 73 is grounded
    Pin59 does activate the PCM control relay

When I power it on, the throttle body activates and body harness relays chatter with lights on the steering wheel indicating power to the internal fuse block.

When I plug in the ODB2, it indicates no VIN is present. I select cancel and the VCM editor reads only the fuel management information. the engine, OS, System, transmission, etc are all blank. No read errors are presented. My thought is one of the modules is a fuel management module and I am not really connecting to the ECM. I have tried reading posting on the forum and youtube, but was unable to find a solution. What I am doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Where are the ECM and TCM from? sounds like they will need to be programmed with dealer software

Potential Tuner
    It turned out to be a short in both cam buss - and +. I bypassed the wires from the PCM and ODB2 port and all tabs populated like they should. I should have check continuity of the connecting wires.