Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8.1 4l85e

There is a ton of torque management. If you have a stick I would remove all of it. They are horribly de tuned. I removed a lot in my truck but keep some because it is my DD. My chevelle though has a T56 and I removed all of it. If I give it half throttle at 40 it will break the tires loose. Still trying to figure out how to drive this thing. So far only made to 4000 rpm and 4th gear. Still tuning, but the way I geared the car I can do 75mph at 1200 rpm in 6th and can idle at 55 in 5th. I?ll try to upload video.

Tuner in Training
    give my channel a subscribe i have a bbc 86 camaro i been building
    nice

Tuner in Training
    soon as i get the hp set up soon ill post the stock file

Tuner in Training
    id like too see a dyno pull of one with the tq management vs with out be interesting too see how much gm pulled out of these sleeping giants

Potential Tuner
    I got everything setup and running. I corrected the speedo for my larger tires. Then made a few recordings, getting almost 4 degrees of spark retard at wot. There quite a bit to all this unless I'm just over thinking it. My background is diesel engines so playing with gas is a bit different for me. Time to research lol.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 1970ss8.1 View Post
    I just had another member PM me and I built him a ready to go tune for $100, because he bought his own license and will do his own data logging. If interested PM me and I can do the same for you. I would need your stock tune, They made changes to the tune every year so you cant just load any random tune.
    1970ss8.1 Are you still writing tunes?

Edit: I see he hasn't logged in 5 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2one View Post

What are you needing?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xx_ed_xx View Post
    What are you needing?
    Just looking to see if he was still doing tunes. My friend has been playing around with HP tuners on my 2002 2500 Avalanche. (He's not a seasoned tuner) Just playing with some timing and some torque management. I'm not familiar with that stuff. I run Holley EFI on my boat and Mustang custom builds which doesn't have the factory de-tuning features. And usually on a dyno. I really don't know safe parameters on my 8.1 (AFR's, mid cruise lean AFR target, Timing graph and TQ management). It's pretty sad when I have a 496 cu/in engine and can't turn the tires over or has to downshift for an incline. (3.73's) Just looking for more towing power (boat 11,000 lbs) and some pep.
    Last edited by Jay2one; 03-16-2022 at 08:24 PM.

Just looking to see if he was still doing tunes. My friend has been playing around with HP tuners on my 2002 2500 Avalanche. (He's not a seasoned tuner) Just playing with some timing and some torque management. I'm not familiar with that stuff. I run Holley EFI on my boat and Mustang custom builds which doesn't have the factory de-tuning features. And usually on a dyno. I really don't know safe parameters on my 8.1 (AFR's, mid cruise lean AFR target, Timing graph and TQ management). It's pretty sad when I have a 496 cu/in engine and can't turn the tires over or has to downshift for an incline. (3.73's) Just looking for more towing power (boat 11,000 lbs) and some pep.
    Yup i removed a suburban 8.1 and 4l80e and put it in a 1500 amazing what losing 3000 lbs of weight will do to drivability.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by xx_ed_xx View Post
    Yup i removed a suburban 8.1 and 4l80e and put it in a 1500 amazing what losing 3000 lbs of weight will do to drivability.
    My Avalanche is only 1300 still pathetic for a 496. lol

Tuner in Training

crap, i have enjoyed this thread as well and it seems he is very knowledgeable and I wanted to pick his brain...
    my 78 k20 trailering special with an 02 8.1L

caught it on fire though... got to get back to it...
    https://youtu.be/8jSizl9Y8ZU

ran so great when running but choked on itself when it warmed up.
    also think the guy that did the hot tune messed with dbw throttle cuz i barely hit the throttle and i cannot prevent the tires from spinning... sm465 manual trans too