Thread: 2.8 duramax e98 "modes" and "alt"

Tuner in Training

2.8 duramax e98 "modes" and "alt"

Does anyone know what controls the "mode" the fuels maps sees and when Atl it sees for low med and heigh? a cant see any ways to change them

Bump,

I would also like to know what are the thresholds for Low, Med & High altitudes if possible please.

I've gone through my entire E98 tables and there is no where these can be defined.

@HPT, are you able to chime in here please?
    Last edited by PHLTHS; 09-18-2020 at 01:35 AM.
    HSV W427

Tuner in Training
    If you look in the top right of your boost tables for low alt it’s 14.5 psi about sea level then med alt is something like 13.x and high will be something like 11.x psi so the google atmospheric pressure to altitude calculation. In Australia I wouldn’t bother editing high alt tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
    If you look in the top right of your boost tables for low alt it?s 14.5 psi about sea level then med alt is something like 13.x and high will be something like 11.x psi so the google atmospheric pressure to altitude calculation. In Australia I wouldn?t bother editing high alt tables.
    Hey Peasy, thanks for that fella.

Going off what you've mentioned, tables ECM 14158 - 14175 are the desired boost tables for each of the modes / altitudes. However, I'm not sure how they tell the ECM which altitude to be in, only what to command once at a certian altitude.

After spending a few days looking, I'm suspecting that its the following tables:

• ECM 24662 (Setpoint Low Altitude Mode 1)
    • ECM 24669 (Setpoint Med Altitude Mode 1)
    • ECM 24674 (Setpoint High Altitude Mode 1)

FYI, for anyone else. I've managed to figure out how to determine what mode the ECM in. There is a PID called COMBUSTION MODE ParameterID="6584" that shows you what mode the ECM is in. Log this and you'll be able to see if the mode changes. I have changed every setting on my car and for my Holden Colorado 2019 ute in Australia OS:55499969 I cannot see it change at all from Mode 1.

FYI, I'm running HPT v4.9.46 Beta.

Cheers.
    Last edited by PHLTHS; 09-28-2020 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Updates
    HSV W427

Tuner in Training
    Colorado mode 1 is your normal mode not sure what mode 2 is but mode 3 is DPF regen don’t edit that and I think mode 4 is an engine braking mode or another DPF mode, I have only edited mode 1 and 2 low and med alt on mine and left the others alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
    Colorado mode 1 is your normal mode not sure what mode 2 is but mode 3 is DPF regen don?t edit that and I think mode 4 is an engine braking mode or another DPF mode, I have only edited mode 1 and 2 low and med alt on mine and left the others alone.
    Thanks for that champ.

Cheers.
    HSV W427

Potential Tuner
    Hi PHLTHS and Peasy,

I'm really interested in this thread as have a tuned 2014 RG Colorado (tuned on EFI Live) which is lacking performance over 500m / below ~95-96kPa barometric pressure. The tuner has told me it is nothing they have done, but also mentioned they don't edit the med/high level desired boost maps.... to prevent turbo overspeed in their words.... but they can't tell me at what altitude /barometric pressure the ECM will switch to the med altitude mapping.

PHLTHS can you please share a stock file which has these ECM 24662 (Setpoint Low Altitude Mode 1) / ECM 24669 (Setpoint Med Altitude Mode 1) tables in it? I'm not a tuner and don't have the hardware, just downloaded HPT and these 2015 Colorado files shared on this thread - https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l-duramax-auto. I can't see any parameters with 'setpoint', or the number ranges you shared in this file.

Peasy, you mentioned 'If you look in the top right of your boost tables for low alt it’s 14.5 psi about sea level then med alt is something like 13.x and high will be something like 11.x psi" - can you please send me a screenshot or show me where to look for that exactly? I can't see anything in the stock file config that I downloaded.

VCM Colorado desired boost.png

As my car comes back to life down below 500m and is fine at sea level, towing a 2.6 tonne caravan for last 2.5 months since issue first occurred, I do think this stock 'medium' level desired boost might be causing my issue. I've done a lot to rule our a leak/intercooler crack/dirty or faulty sensor so far, so maybe its the turbo with 147,000km on it, but if so I would have expected issues at sea level by now also??

Thanks in advance for any help