Thread: 2015 ZL1 Running rich issue

Potential Tuner

2015 ZL1 Running rich issue

Hi,

So I have a 2015 ZL1 and put on 1 7/8" Kooks Headers W/ No cats with an inductions Cold Air Intake. I know its been running rich and I finally was able to get an HP Tuner so I can do some logging and tuning myself with simple bolt on mods like this. I thought it was going to be easy since I spent sometime with Cobb tuning due to the old car I had but damn was I wrong. In cobb it was simple because it had the set AFR, HP, Torque and etc and all. With HP tuners it deals with KPA, and such a small increment of small numbers used for conversions and whatnot which I don't know at all. I wanna learn how to Tune it correctly. Anyways so I put below a single log I did where I have the most issues, between 00:51.319 to 01:04.236 you can see everything goes haptic. I went to drift sideways and all it does is sputter, when I get on it like a burnout or tire spin period it sputters badly as you can see. What can I do to fix it. I know I need to adjust the LTFT and STFT since they are beyond out of wack. Also how am I able to control and turn up the boost by chance if im able to?

thanks for all the help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Here is what my VVE graph looks like, i do notice a spike in the lower corner, but unsure how to fix it since im new the the VVE table math.

UPDATE: 2357/ 06-Jan-2020
    - I have attached 2 photos of different angles

zl1.PNGzl11.PNGzl121.PNG
    Last edited by Parrishd; 01-06-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Get a wideband, I wouldn't even do anything with fuel trims until you tune it with a wideband first.

The current log doesn't show bad fuel trim either, a tad negative at times but nothing like -20% to make it run correct.

Remember that both the MAF and VVE are working together unless it's put into speed density only.

The basics are that there is a commanded AFR/Lambda and you are trying to match the commanded with the actual by adding or removing fuel from the airflow model (MAF/VVE). If you use a wideband it would be done one at a time with zero fuel trim control using a wideband error against the commanded.

Lower the pulley size to turn up the boost.

Post your tune if you want further help. Just adding headers and an intake shouldn't make it bog down and sputter.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrishd View Post
    Hi,

So I have a 2015 ZL1 and put on 1 7/8" Kooks Headers W/ No cats with an inductions Cold Air Intake. I know its been running rich and I finally was able to get an HP Tuner so I can do some logging and tuning myself with simple bolt on mods like this. I thought it was going to be easy since I spent sometime with Cobb tuning due to the old car I had but damn was I wrong. In cobb it was simple because it had the set AFR, HP, Torque and etc and all. With HP tuners it deals with KPA, and such a small increment of small numbers used for conversions and whatnot which I don't know at all. I wanna learn how to Tune it correctly. Anyways so I put below a single log I did where I have the most issues, between 00:51.319 to 01:04.236 you can see everything goes haptic. I went to drift sideways and all it does is sputter, when I get on it like a burnout or tire spin period it sputters badly as you can see. What can I do to fix it. I know I need to adjust the LTFT and STFT since they are beyond out of wack. Also how am I able to control and turn up the boost by chance if im able to?

thanks for all the help
    i was just like you a couple of months back, lost and confused, so first off i would suggest that you get a Wide Band sensor installed just as 5FDP mentioned, and then you can start doing some magic to your tune, in your case it shouldn't be too hard as all you've done is add headers with no cats and an intake, and as 5FDP said you shouldn't be bogging.

2nd, you're not logging enough channels and more importantly we can't even tell if your car is knocking or not, so make sure to include that along side other things in your logs.

if you really want to get into tuning i would suggest looking up some "how to" threads here and exploring the forums as you can find a lot of valuable information, and what i found extremely helpful when i was lost is visiting this youtube channel and looking at his tutorials and basic info videos as i found them very informative.

regarding turning up the boost, unfortunately you can't turn up the boost through software on supercharged vehicles as it has to be done mechanically by changing your supercharger pulley, i would suggest learning the basics first and really getting a girp on tuning before doing any further power adding mods.

ps. try posting your tune file every time you ask for specific help on this forum as it would help us understand your issue better.
    Last edited by Moe Ashraf; 01-07-2020 at 04:51 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for such a fast response, I do have a AEM Wideband already just waiting to put it into the car. Im just by Fort Drum, NY where we been getting loads of snow and its been low teens so sadly its to cold to work outside. Either way im going home next weekend so if I can find my old weld in bungs then ill be able to do it. So here is the Tune I completely forgot to attach it. I know its running rich due to the smell of course, but I don't notice a sputter anywhere other then when there is a good amount of load put down like drifting, or wheel spin. Modding ZL1 tune.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Kinda an off running rich topic but I was randomly just looking at other peoples maps on HP Tuner and I saw under Engine, Torque Management, Max Torque and any gear it goes 85, 89, 103, 111, 125, 148, 184, 243, 280 for RPM 500-3000 for my map which I attached above while others I saw the same 500-3000 RPM but the table info just was all flat lined at 6.041. Where are they even getting the 6.041 for LB-FT input and the ZL1 has 556LB-FT stock so where would that even be covered if my map does to only 3000rpm and 280?

Senior Tuner
    You will find it beneficial to increase the Max Torque values in those Torque Limit vs RPM tables. That will reduce engine TM considerably. There is also some TIP IN Limiting and some FAST Torque Exit TM that can be reduced or eliminated.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    You will find it beneficial to increase the Max Torque values in those Torque Limit vs RPM tables. That will reduce engine TM considerably. There is also some TIP IN Limiting and some FAST Torque Exit TM that can be reduced or eliminated.
    But how would I know where it would be beneficial for the new values and not over doing it?

Senior Tuner
    It's ok to max out those values in your application.
    If it was a GEN V engine, then you wouldn't want to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It's ok to max out those values in your application.
    If it was a GEN V engine, then you wouldn't want to do that...
    Can you explain why not on a Gen V motor? Even an N/A engine? i know the OP is running boost.